Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat has lost all balance and I need help

Green guy
July 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM
I am hoping that someone can help me. One of my cats came home the other day and wouldn't eat for a day and a half and is now only eating if we spoon feed her. She appears to have lost all her balance and is doing a lot of walking around in circles. She is very weak and I can't tell if she may have been bitten by a tick, or if there is some other problem. Does anyone out there have any ideas what may be wrong with her. She seems to be stronger this morning than yesterday, but she still doesn't really have any balance. She was also sneezing about a week before this happened, although she isn't sneezing right now. If anyone can help me out that would be great.

badger
July 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM
You need to get your cat to a vet. Unless he smacked his head, I'm guessing he has a middle-ear infection which affects both balance and appetite. He will need antibiotics and to be kept inside until he has recovered (this is important; in this state, he has no defenses).
The infection takes a few weeks to resolve. One of my cats just went through this three months ago and he is fine now, although a month ago he still couldn't climb or look up without trembling.
Don't delay: cats can't go without eating or drinking for long without suffering serious side effects.

Green guy
July 21st, 2006, 12:05 PM
That actually makes a lot of sense, because she hasn't jumped on anything and doesn't even want to climb on anything. I will take you advice.

glasslass
July 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Please let us know after you've been to the vet.