Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

crows

chico2
January 22nd, 2004, 08:41 AM
Most of you'll probably think"wow,a nut case!!"but I have a couple of "almost pet,crows".There used to be seven,but most of them in Oakville died from West-Nile.Anyway,I never put food-scraps in the garbage but recycle it with the crows.I have a spot where they come every morning,becoming very tame..I call them Heckle and Jeckle. They are fascinating birds and they usually have an entourage of smaller birds,I think they stick to the crows to be protected from the visiting hungry hawks,whom the crows scare away.Anyone else with crow-stories?
Yeah,I know they eat baby-birds in the spring,but not as much as the Blue-Jays who are forever raiding my birdhouses.

daisy18216
January 22nd, 2004, 08:50 AM
You sure do have an unusual pet (the crows).

I don't have a crow story, but be careful of the crows.

chico2
January 22nd, 2004, 08:59 AM
Daisy,They don't exactly eat out of my hands,but they are no more afraid when I am there.Why would I be careful?
West-Nile is not spread by them but by the mosquitoes(spelling?)that attack them.
I am hoping these two are male and female and will have babies this spring,they are great parents and fun to watch.

daisy18216
January 22nd, 2004, 09:05 AM
I know they don't eat out of your hands.

I was always afraid of crows ever since I was a little girl. I don't know their background.

I know if I ever see a crow up front and personal I would go the other way.

Please don't take what I wrote the wrong way.:)

Lucky Rescue
January 22nd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Crows are unbelievably intelligent and are able to solve problems and use tools!
In captivity, they can also learn to talk.

It would a lot of fun to set up some problems for them to solve in order to get food, such as I saw them doing recently on a nature show.:D

Just please don't make them too tame, as wild animals who lose their fear of humans often end up as victims of cruel, sick people.

chico2
January 22nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
Daisy,no I did not take your advice the wrong way:D
I know a lot of people do not like crows,I even had to stop a neighbor from shooting a baby-crow who ended up in his backyard,with the parents frantically trying to protect their baby.
Lucky,I did not start up feeding the crows,but now they will let me know when they are here and I feed them.
There used to be unfortunate squirrels squashed on the street and the crows would feed on them,but the squirrels are getting smarter,using the hydro-wires to cross the street.All birds have a difficult time getting food in the winter,even crows and since they do not eat seeds any left-over foodscraps,especially fat trimmed off meat is gulped up in seconds and no,I would not make them too tame,I keep my distance...