Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two Extremes - A Rant

Writing4Fun
July 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
I belong to this other forum that has a pet section. There were two posts there within the past couple of days that have me just about throwing in the towel on the entire human race:

1) Woman has a large (100lb) lab who was too hyper by the age of 6 months (he's now 3 yrs, I believe) and could no longer be trusted around the children because he would inadvertently hurt them during play. So, they sent him to live outdoors in a 10X20 pen. Oh, they take him out several times a day for play time, so it's ok. He loves it in there. Except that he's starting to dig. She wants to know if there's any kind of flooring she can put in the pen to prevent him from escaping. When someone offered the advice to bring him inside with the rest of the family, take him to obedience classes and try giving him a little more attention, she took immediate offense and went on and on about how happy he is and she's not a neglectful pet owner, yadda yadda...

2) Woman has two GSD crosses who are exclusively outdoor dogs and are allowed to run free in the forests surrounding her home. Problem is they've taken to killing young fawns and bringing them home. She's so angry with her dogs for killing the deer (because she truly believes that it's wrong to cause any animal any kind of pain) that she chased them down with a rubber fly swatter and gave them a beating they'd surely remember. The only responses she's gotten so far are from people who agree with her (and there are alot of them), because those of us who would normally reply with 'maybe you should bring your dogs indoors and spend some time with them' are getting tired of being ridiculed by most of the other members there.

:confused: Is it just me? Am I the one who is wrong for keeping my dog indoors with me, spending time and money having her spayed, microchipped, training her, playing with her, teaching her how to co-exist with my children? Is the majority of the population actually turning their dogs loose on the world or caging them in the back yard day in and day out? I mean, I know that TV and commercials aren't indicative of what a 'normal' life should be like, but in the case of pets, I have yet to see a dog food commercial where the dog is in a cage or running loose in a forest killing another creature's young. Wouldn't this be a clue that the life they've given their supposedly 'beloved' pets isn't the greatest? The fact that woman #1's dog is continually trying to escape from said life would be another indication, no? I mean, why the heck have a dog at all if you're not going to make it a part of your life and enjoy everything it has to offer?? :confused: Am I missing something??

glasslass
July 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM
You've just been posting on the wrong forum. Here, the members all appreciate you!:thumbs up

we3beagles
July 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM
You are definitly not crazy. I beleive the same as you that if you are going to bring an animal into your life it better be treated as part of the family. Maybe I can direct my father to that other forum. He thinks my dogs should be kept outside too. I guess it's the way he was brought up. I just don't understand it. I don't remember my grandmothers dogs being that happy and loving when they were kept outside. My dogs are snuggle monsters and love and trust us implicitly and unconditionally. I think that is a pretty good indication that they are happy dogs. If a dog is not good with any member of your family, perhaps it is because it knows that you don't see the dog as part of it. As for running free and killing wild life: perhaps that is the natural order of things, but then don't you have little better than a feral dog. What happens when the dog attacks a baby next. Is that also natural. To the dog it is because you have let it get away with it in the past. What kind of a forum is this???:confused:

BernerLver
July 21st, 2006, 11:38 AM
:confused: Is it just me?

Nope. My 2 are loved members of the family. I look at my dogs like children. If I go out to run an errand would I leave a child outside unattended? NO. Would I leave a child outside in the scorching heat or freezing cold? NO.

To me it's just common sense and it's sad/frustrating that more people don't have any when it comes to pet ownership. :(

Dog Mom
July 21st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Nope I don't think you are crazy! My 5 are a part of my family and that will never change. A lot of people around here think that animals are disposable.

happycats
July 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM
Nope ! not crazy at all!! But I would't be able to handle belonging to a forum like that (I would probably get banned anyway:rolleyes: ).

I believe there a 2 types of people in this world (I am sure the DNA is somewhat different, must be, because I don't want to believe they are "just" like me)

Type 1) Most of the people here, who are compassionate, caring, and who can co-exist with animals, and actually don't see them as "the enemy" needing to be controlled or killed!

Type 2) Doesn't give a rats behind about animals, thinks they were put on the earth for humans to do with in what ever way they see fit, and some even enjoy hurting, abusing, or exploiting them (or are to ignorant to know the difference)

As Glasslass said, We all understand you!! And feel the same way, that's why I love this place! :grouphug:

glasslass
July 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM
Maybe I can direct my father to that other forum. He thinks my dogs should be kept outside too.:

:eek: Nuh-uh-uh!!! Why direct him to a forum that will just support his ideas. Direct him here where he can get educated and see how other dogs interact happily with their families.

dtbmnec
July 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
Yep of course your nuts....so are we all though so all is good :) :p

You gotta wonder this though: if they can't handle a "simpler" being than a human how are they gonna raise their kids? I mean seriously?! "Oh Johnny you've been bad, go out in the yard for the next six hours in the freezing cold" hmph.

Ugh people suck. I thought I had come to this conclusion while working at the cable company but wow.....

Megan

Writing4Fun
July 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the support, folks. Nice to know I'm not the only lunatic out there. :p

This 'other board' is a mom's forum. I just can't wrap my head around the whole "I love him to death" arguement when 1) you don't even know him anymore because he's outside all the time, and 2) you beat the crap out of him for killing a baby deer because you can't stand to see 'another living creature being hurt'. :confused: One woman actually responded to the deer thread saying, "It's nice to see that you care about the deer so much." At first I thought she was being sarcastic, but it turns out she really meant it! Nice that you care about the deer (who are subject to all sorts of natural preditors that you don't know about) but don't give a rat's behind about your own dogs? I'm not answering that thread at all, but am checking in once in a while in kind of a morbid fascination (like watching a car wreck in progress), waiting for the post about "Well, they killed a local farmer's calf and were both shot dead." :mad: :sad:

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
You've just been posting on the wrong forum. Here, the members all appreciate you!:thumbs up
I agree!

This forum got its vibe through the regulars accidentally being animal lovers (long before I got here) and it's one of the reasons I don't go to other boards much anymore. Here, the bybing and animal abuse posts are kept to a minimum and I love that.

It's like an ideal pet world in here: everybody's dogs are inside (or outside sometimes, but not all day and night, right? :o), well loved, tagged and id'd as much as possible, brought to the vet as soon as they need it, spayed or neutered unless you have really good reasons and have thought through all the implications of not doing it, bought toys whenever necessary, thought of as members of the family 100%, brought on vacations (most of the time, unless it involves a plane ride or something else unsafe for the doggy), fed the best kibble or raw, given enough play time every day, along with cuddle time, etc etc.

Right? lol

Ok maybe not, but this is as close as a board can get. :)

rainbow
July 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM
I agree with you, Prin. This is the best pet forum around. :thumbs up

we3beagles
July 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM
Nuh-uh-uh!!! Why direct him to a forum that will just support his ideas. Direct him here where he can get educated and see how other dogs interact happily with their families.

I'm afraid he is the Type 2 that happy cats so accurately described. Last time he was over he kept going on about the dogs that keep barking next door and how he would shoot them if they kept it up. This just after I finished reading a newspaper article about a hunter shooting one dog and leaving the other wounded with no choice but to eat the dead one while trying to survive. I felt like slapping him and crying. They think I'm weird and everyone else in the world feels the way they do. That is why these forums are so important. How many other people would feel like an outcast if not for them?

joeysmama
July 21st, 2006, 11:18 PM
The other night we were sitting on the deck and Cooper was out there with us. He doesn't do stairs so the deck is his only time outside off leash. I saw a big owl in a tree and I FREAKED. Put the pup inside until the owl was gone and then brought him out ON THE LEASH, holding it very firmly and also wrapped around my arm and the chair. If anything tried to get my baby it was getting me and half the furniture as well.

Tonight we counted 13 toys left all over the family room floor and a few miscellaneous shoes, a dust rag, and a few sofa pillows that double as big mean bad guys that Cooper needs to bring down every now and then.

Um yeah......people here love their pets !!:pawprint:

erykah1310
July 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Funny how i just kinda went through this today, Over the weekend Meiko went for his very first ever grooming session ( he did SUPER! No growling no snapping NOTHING, he has come a LONG way)
However. After bragging bout how handsome he was to our company tonite, they of course asked how much it costed.
They told me that I spent too much money on the dogs and so on.
Out of curiosity they asked how much I spent a year on vet bills with having 3 dogs and 5 cats SO I went and gathered up all the reciepts.... They diagnosed me as a nut case
Thanks guys. I know im not I just want to make sure that all my pets are happy and healthy and most of all comfortable.
Some people just will never understand the bond