Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bathing

Miwako
July 21st, 2006, 07:20 AM
How often do your pets take a bath?

and

Will you bring them to the pet shop to have bathing service or you do it by yourselves?

jiorji
July 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM
my cats don't receive baths. But my guinea pig gets frequent baths at my parents' house.
SHe has her own baby shampoo and towel and everything. And then we blow dry her a bit(not too much to not dry the skin or irritate her) if it's winter/fall/spring. She dries outside on the porch in the summer.

and at the end she gets a treat of course.:D

jessi76
July 21st, 2006, 10:34 AM
My dog very rarely needs any bathing - occassionally I'll hose (rinse) him off if he swims in a pond, but other than that, he probably gets 1 or 2 baths a year. Which I do at home, in the tub.

And my cats... well, I don't even attempt to wash the cats. That could be dangerous. Clipping their nails is already pushing it.

glasslass
July 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM
Little housedogs stay clean a long time and Poodles don't have an odor (except for their foot pads:D ) so I just bathe as needed. But when one gets it, they both get it, otherwise I can see jealousy and hurt feelings because the other one is getting so much attention. I bath before clipping because the clippers work better with clean, fluffy fur.

Writing4Fun
July 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM
I don't bathe my dog unless she's been rolling in something smelly. :D I've read that it's not good to bathe dogs too often or you will strip the fur of its natural oils and wind up with skin conditions. As for cats, well I once read that it requires great skill, patience, perseverence ... and a cat. The last item is the hardest to come by. :p

RVT092481
July 21st, 2006, 11:17 AM
I bathe my three cats and one dog at home. The cats need baths every once in a while because one is too fat and can't clean herself properly so she starts to stink and have a lot of dead hair stuck. Others either go through a faze of not cleaning or have cling-ons that she needs to go to the spa. I have a groomer friend and she'll sometimes do my long haired cat (bath, brush, nails and trim foot hair and bum hair). She loves having a bath though. It's so funny to watch. No one believes me!
Otherwise I do it a home with a detachable shower head and all (usually) goes well.

jawert1
July 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
I take mine to the groomers every 2 weeks for nail grinding and bathing about every 3 months, otherwise I only bathe them at home if one of them's gotten into something (neither does well in the bath at home).

glasslass
July 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Puss-Puss (RIP) was really easy to bathe with a handheld shower attachment. She wasn't happy, but she didn't struggle. Afterwards, she'd snuggle into the towel as I dried her and was so cuddly when she was dry and fluffy. I only did it at the beginning of flea season and occasionally throughout the summer if I saw a flea. I used "Flea-Flea Bar Soap" which was all-natural and very effective. She loved being clean and soft.

BernerLver
July 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM
I take my guys to the groomers about every 4-6 weeks. They get a bath and a good brushing and they have their nails and feet trimmed.

It's a little costly (approx. $95) but to be honest they are too big and uncooperative for me to groom them myself and I can't be bothered with the hassle or the clean up so I figure it's money well spent. Also, our groomer is super nice and has no problems with special requests (i.e. using treats I provide etc.).

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 04:04 PM
Jemma and Boo get a bath every season. I do it in the tub, at the expense of my back...:D

When they swim, they get hosed off though. When Jemma rolls in dead things or submissive pees all over herself (if I don't give her her estrogen pill on time), she gets a bath... :o

jesse's mommy
July 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM
Jesse gets a bath whenever she is snuggling up to mommy and mommy says "Jesse, you stink". I usually get kisses at that point and within the next few days daddy (wearing his swim trunks) crawls into the bathtub with Jesse and she gets a bath. I've given her a bath a few times, but it's usually daddy that gives her a bath -- that is "their time". He says Jesse just sits there and just gives him kisses the entire time. We have no problem getting Jesse in the tub, in fact we have to make sure the curtain is completely pulled when we are showering or else we have a "visitor" while we are showering. :rolleyes:

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 05:14 PM
lol that's a really funny image- a pitty "sneaking" into the tub when you're in there.:D

technodoll
July 21st, 2006, 11:03 PM
my girl, who has the better coat, has gotten 3 baths since we have her (late January). when she gets dirty we just brush her out and she's all clean, soft and fresh-smelling again (yayy for raw diet!). My boy, who is white and has a thinner coat, is a dirt magnet so needs a bath every month or so, more often in the spring because he turns gray thanks to oily city dirt :yuck: neither smell unless they have been playing with stinky dogs or rolling in icky stuff. we bathe them both at home... dad gets in the tub with them and they stand still like statues until the bath is over... then they get crazy zooomies in the appartment, they LOVE being wet and squeaky clean :D i trim their nails every 10 days or so, and they get their whiskers done once a week.... never had to clean maika's ears (not a speck of dirt in them) and dakotah is twice per year, love the advantage of prick ears :D

that's about it for us! :thumbs up

dogmelissa
July 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
My doggie gets a bath about every 8 weeks or so, when I do his haircut. I do both at home, since it cost me as much for the grooming kit as it did for one haircut at the groomer. He gets a bath more often if he gets dirty, which happens often with a small, white dog (puddles make him muddy all over!).

The cats get a bath very rarely, though one of them gets a bath now about every 3 months, as she is chubby, doesn't groom herself properly and I'm also maintaining a lion clip on her, so she needs to be bathed for that. Actually, I bath her after I clip her because her longer hair takes a long time to dry and until it does I can't get the clipper through it. All 3 cats get their claws trimmed as needed, which is usually once a month or so.

I actually read an article (wonder if I can find it) that said that cats that are bathed once a week for a month and then once a month after that will produce 80% less allergens than cats that aren't bathed at all. I tried that for a couple months, and it was just too much of a hassle for me to get all 3 of them, plus the dog, into and out of the tub. It takes almost an hour each animal, so it makes for a very unhappy day for me. Especially since I'm not allergic to them!

I will look for that article.

Melissa

H.P.
July 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
My Jo gets a both about once a month, we have done it since she was a kitten and started jumping into the bath tub with me. (Quite a swimmer she is.) She has never been much of a self cleaner, maybe because she knows I will take care of it? On a side note, I have no allergy problems with her, but I do with other cats, the worst being older white cats.

Smiley14
July 22nd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Oh wow, I wonder if I'm bathing poor Petey too much, lol! He goes into the groomers once a month for a bath, nail trim, teeth brush, ear clean, etc.
And we usually go to the dog park on Sat, where he swims and gets grossly stinky, so I bring his doggie shampoo and give him a quick bath at the end of the outing with the hose station at the park. (I love that thing!) In the winter, he only gets bathed once a month at the groomers since he just runs in snow and can't swim of course, so doesn't get stinky like he does in summer.
Once in a while, I'll give him a bath at home in the tub, but usually only a few times a year. Oh, he hates that! He'll be just fine at the hose station at the park or the groomers, but hates the bathtub for some reason. He sees me coming with his shampoo and towel and runs away! I have to physically lift his 65lbs into the tub!
Which is actually kind of ironic because if I leave the door open while I'm trying to shower or bathe, he won't leave me alone. He pulls open the curtain and sticks his head into the water and tries to lick me. Drives me nuts! So now I shut the door and listen to him whine on the other side instead, lol. :)

Billy, my cat, doesn't get baths. He's 15 years old and white, but has always done a marvelous job cleaning himself. I tried one time to give him a bath after he got muddy from playing outside (I foolishly took him out on a leash after a rainstorm). Oh man, I had no idea he was so strong! His arms and legs were spread eagle across either side of the tub and he refused to let go and into the water no matter how hard I fought! My roommate at the time finally had to hold him while I scrubbed him. He fought and howled the entire time. So I never tried that one ever again, lol. So Billy just cleans himself. :)

dogmelissa
July 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
I'd say that unless he's showing signs of being bathed too much (hot spots due to improper drying, flaky skin, reactions to the shampoo, etc), then he's not being bathed too much. We bath ourselves (usually) everyday, so I don't think that once a month is too often.

Your cat bathing story is funny--I have a cat who is also surprisingly strong, but she tolerates a bath pretty well. Hates to be blow-dried, though, so I have to let her loose in the house when she's still mostly wet. Then she looks like she has dred-locks. :)

Cinnabear
July 24th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Both dogs had one today.:D But very rarely do they. Only when they roll in something or when one of my daughters decides to do something to them or when of them gets their head peed on by the other dog. :eek:

Cats don't get bathed.

OntarioGreys
July 24th, 2006, 07:54 AM
My dogs get bathed a couple time a year in the bathtub.

The type of breed plays some factor.

for example the hairless chinese crested dog requires very frequent baths to prevent blackheads and pimples at least 2 to 3 times a week

Smiley14
July 24th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I'd say that unless he's showing signs of being bathed too much (hot spots due to improper drying, flaky skin, reactions to the shampoo, etc), then he's not being bathed too much. We bath ourselves (usually) everyday, so I don't think that once a month is too often.

Your cat bathing story is funny--I have a cat who is also surprisingly strong, but she tolerates a bath pretty well. Hates to be blow-dried, though, so I have to let her loose in the house when she's still mostly wet. Then she looks like she has dred-locks. :)

Thanks for the info! Petey's skin is a healthy pink color, but I'll keep watching him just in case.
A cat with dred-locks...now that would be a great pic! :)

dogmelissa
July 25th, 2006, 08:32 PM
A cat with dred-locks...now that would be a great pic! :)

I'll take a pic next time I bath her. I clipped a lot of her fur (as much as she'd let me, a whole lot less tolerant of a hair cut than being bathed, go figure), so I'm not sure if we'll have the same effect next time around.

glasslass
July 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
The first place Den-Den heads, after a bath, is up on our bed. He delights in rolling around wet in our covers. Who says dogs don't have a sense of fair play and a sense of humor?:D