Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When to feed - before or after exercise?

JanM
July 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I'd appreciate hearing from you folks on whether feeding should be done before or after dogs get exercised. Now I feed them about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs before they exercise and I wonder if it would be better to wait until we come home before they eat. One exercises hard - she swims and runs and digs (on the beach) and plays - and she does it all with gusto. The other is a couch potato and would rather sit and watch everyone else. Any thoughts on this?

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 01:09 AM
I feed after. I'd rather they not run around with full bellies. Be sure to wait though- they need at least 1 to 1.5 hours of rest before eating. Also, if you're going to change the time of day you are feeding (if you only feed once), you might want to do it gradually (if they are too hungry, they'll throw up bile). Two meals or more are always better for high exercise dogs because they have less in their bellies at any given moment. More food = more gas.

jawert1
July 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Like Prin, I feed my 2 after exercise, more out of fear of bloat than anything else. That and Peach turns into a slug after she eats ;)

we3beagles
July 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
I feed after as well. Mostly because they are not that interested in eating when it is so hot out and like jawert said out of a fear of bloat.

Puppyluv
July 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
I run my dog for 10-12 km every morning, and I feed after. I tried to feed before, thinking that she would need it, but she would just puke it up in the middle of the run.

JanM
July 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Thank you everyone! I will change their morning feed to after the exercise. I've noticed that the younger one - the one who does everything with gusto - has been digging at the Beach - almost frantically so I wondered if it could be a tummy ache. When I change feeding to after the morning outing - we'll see. Thank you again.