Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbulls

Mahealani770
July 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I'd like to learn more about pitbulls and I know we have some pitty owners here...so here it goes...and forgive me if these questions sound ignorant but I'm here to learn...:rolleyes:

1.) Are pitbulls naturally agressive or do people make them that way?

2.) If you get a pit as a puppy, is there a special way you can train or teach it to not be agressive? Does it take extra, special work?

3.) What are some ways you can test the temperament when you're at the breeder's home, for example?

4.) If you rescue a pit, how can you tell before you adopt it, if it's going to be agressive?

I think that's it....thanks!

~M~

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I'm not a pitty owner, but I'll try to test what I know. ;) Correct me if I'm wrong, real pitty people.:D

1. They're not people aggressive, naturally. In the past they were bred to fight dogs and as such can be iffy around dogs their size or bigger. But it is unnatural for them to become aggressive with humans.

2. Same with any puppy, the more you socialize the better the dog will be in the long term.

3. Stanley Coren had some tests for testing puppies (he used it on 8 week olds):
- lift the puppy a foot above the ground by holding it firmly around the chest and belly with both hands. If the doggy stays there doing nothing, odds are with proper socialization, it will be an aloof, easy going dog with very little dominance. If the dog squirms, it might test you later on in adolescence, but still, socially fairly easy to handle. If it turns around to bite you, you have a dominant dog that will require a lot of knowledge and skill to handle.
- roll the puppy on it's back and hold it firmly (but not hard or squeezy) and observe the reaction. It's similar to the reactions in the first one.
First time dog owners should definitely look for the first kind- very aloof, regardless of breed.

4. Any breed of dog can be aggressive. It all depends on their genes and their baggage. Even the nicest, sweetest dog can go "bad" if neglected, not properly socialized, mishandled, abused, etc. The best way to know is to adopt through a rescue that has foster homes rather than a shelter that might not know anything about the dog.
:)

Mahealani770
July 20th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Wow, cool suggestions for testing pups, Prin...thanks!

phoenix
July 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM
This is not about pits, necessarily, but I have one suggestion: if you have the opportunity, meet the mother dog. Her attitude is often mirrored to some extent in the puppies.