Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dying animal hair or fur?

simbasmom
July 20th, 2006, 01:13 PM
:sorry: I truly did not want anyone out there to think the picture of my one eyed shamus had on anything toxic to his health,the grandkids used childrens edible body and cake icing to decorate him on holloween. we wash this dog frequently as his feet are sensitive. we take him to the groomers every month.she is by the way the best groomer around.We took him again to the vet last night he got into what is known as wild grass. no problem now he is medicated and collared and foot bound till better. still never heard of elaphant skin would really like to know what the heck this is. your dogs skin produces black crust usually under the leg then follows through to the elbow area then all the hair is gone then when the dog or you clean up the black crusty skin and it goes away the new hair grows back. I forgot to ask the vet last night what this was. our dog got this about 6mths ago and cleaned right up with washing and polysporin. thanks everyone for your heartfelt concern over good health in animals. I am in the health field.:angel:

H.P.
July 20th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Hi :) I did not mean to offend you by asking about the groomer, I didn't know if all groomers cleaned the ears, and thought that a groomer might be able to help if you did not have one. Shamus looks well loved and cared for, and I know that you are concerned about him, otherwise you would not be here! I did a search at my vet's web site on elephant skin (you got my curiosity up), and came up with this link: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=466&EVetID=125374

Puppyluv
July 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Woah, that thread title freaked me out.... I thouhgt your dog was dying....:eek: but alas it was just "dyeing". :p
Glad to here it was non toxic, though I have to admit, I'm still not a fan of it, but that's just mo. Good luck with his skin.

simbasmom
July 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
This is for H.P. junior member.:thumbs up thanks to the link on elephant skin it`s wonderful I will get on the results right away by oral and topical.:highfive: you make my day sweety.:grouphug:

happycats
July 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Awww simbasmom, it's obvious that you love your little furbaby!! No big deal, so you dyed the fur with some non-toxic cake colour, I don't see any difference in that and people dressing up thier pets.
You furbaby is so cute by the way (with or without colour):)