Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitties + cupboards + treats = fat kitties

dtbmnec
July 20th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Yep my cats are fat....Ok not seriously because it doesn't look like they've changed since last night some time.

Arrrrg.

All of their food and their treats are in the cupboard, its pretty hard to get into (there's a decent catching mechanism on it) and yet somehow they got INTO the cupboard anyway! They IMMEDIATELY went for the treat bag (and not the hairball control ones either pssh) tossed it on the floor, proceeded to rip open the bottom and eat half the bag (it's the big bag size too!)! All of this sometime between 2am and about 11 this morning! Arrrrrrrrgggggg!

I close my cupboards and I thought for sure they wouldn't be able to get into them, apparently I'm wrong. To top it off the "food" cupboard is near the dish detergent/under the sink cupboard (there is access if you are a cat who gets in there but none of the chems come in contact with the food ever!) and there's no more cupboards in the house that are available! (Small apartment *cries*). Looking at the cupboard I can't even baby lock it or anything because there's nothing to lock it to! So I'd have to buy an actual lock that locks the cupboard closed (much like one of the door ones) but even that is going to let the cats in (until they get fat from the treats they keep stealing!). Arrrrrgggg! I'll have figure out something....I'll post a pic later of the cupboard in question.

As soon as I took the treat bag away from them (I did that first thing) they started meowing! The little demons! *sigh* I knew I had demon cats....I knew it! The best part is I'm sure that it was Leo who did the entire thing because he's the "let's get into every place that mommy doesn't want us to" kind while Pawz just sort of follows along. Damn group mentality!

*sigh* I feel better now.

So what "tricks" have your pets figured out? Maybe if I hear other stories I won't be so mad....lol

Megan

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
You can't just bungee the two knobs together? Umm... I don't know how to explain it otherwise... And if there are no knobs, just buy some.:D

chico2
July 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Sounds just like cute kitten-stuff to me:D Love to see some more pics of those little guys in action!

jawert1
July 20th, 2006, 02:38 PM
All treats and food in my house go into the hardcore rubbermaid containers that are almost impossible for me to get open, let alone one of my dogs. Since Peaches is the brains of the operation, but Simon is the determined piggy, the two of them have managed the following:

Opening a pantry door (with round knob) without opposable thumbs (unless you count Peaches' dewclaws)

Dragging out rubbermaid-esque lesser quality container with teeth and knocking it over and jumping on it until the lid popped (I watched them do this via kitchen webcam to see if the mess I'd found the previous day was for real)

Knocking over trash can to stand on while jumping up onto the counter to get to the treat bag (this would be Pouncing Pointer's doing)

Given you have kitties, resourceful tho they are, you won't need to go to the lengths I did to save your sanity and their bulging waist lines, however, find a container that will be smell proof (or close to it) - just about any outdoorsy place will have em, they're usually labeled Bear Safe, and then as Prin suggested, either bungee the cabinets shut (not terribly aesthetically pleasing but functional) or put said containers on top of the fridge where they're less likely at this age to attempt a scaling.

Good luck, and I can't wait to hear about their next adventure, kitten tales are always so lively :)

dtbmnec
July 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Well last night I got to the bathroom at 3am and guess who is lying in the damn sink? Pawz. Why? I have no idea! But there he is curled up in a ball in the sink. I only wish I had time to get a picture of it. This from the cat who *hates* water (since the bathtub incident). *shakes head*

The other day Leo got super curious. It seems he knows that there is tasty food in the fridge and while my bf wasn't looking he snuck inside it. Two minutes later I'm hearing MEOWING from the kitchen. I figure if I call them they'll come running (or at least poke their head around the corner or something) and nothing, just more meowing, muffled insistent meowing. I get up and go into the kitchen and I'm still hearing the meowing this time coming from the direction of the fridge. I open it up and out walks Leo, totally non-chalant! I could have killed him! (He wasn't hurt and probably enjoyed the coolness) He looks up at me like "yeah I was in the fridge it was fun for thirty seconds before I realised that I can't get out and I don't have anyone to play with". Now I always look to see if Leo (or Pawz, though he seems to be smarter about it) is *IN* the fridge first!

As it is Leo will run over to the fridge when I'm getting food and stand IN the door's path so I can't close it all the way! I always move him but he looks up at me like "but it smells good why are you keeping me away from it?". Oh and I did try the whole hold the door open so maybe that they know that its not so great of a thing they'll go away at which point Leo (again) climbed into the fridge (he went straight for the milk too! The little demon!). *sigh* Only my cats would have a fridge fetish....

Now they're trying to get on the counter too. They keep pawing up the sides of the counters. Of course that one is the bf's fault because he doesn't do the dishes like we'd agreed and so there's all those wonderful (stinky) smells for the cats. I think maybe I'll kill him too one of these days. :o

The cats most recently have been chasing after flies. We have an a/c unit but we've sort of jury rigged it so that there isn't as much airflow out but it isn't sealed tight (which was fun during the crazy storm we had two weeks ago) and through those holes is where the flies keep coming in. So I have two live and pretty good fly killers. Some of the stuff they do while chasing those flies though are funny! I have never seen so many "falls" off stuff in order to catch the damn things. Nor have I had so many issues with them on the keyboard of the PC. *shakes head* It's not a bad thing if they eat the flies is it? If it is I'll have to go on fly patrol then....

I'm uploading some vids of the cats play-fighting. And the picture of the cupboards. The uploading is taking forever though.

Megan

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
lol funny stories.:D

dtbmnec
July 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Here's the cupboards:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/dtbmnec/Leo%20and%20Pawz/cupboards_320x240.jpg

Its the one on the far left side that teh food is in (the other two are the sink ones). I'm still trying to figure out how they got in!

This is them sleeping off all the treats! I swear they're fatter!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/dtbmnec/Leo%20and%20Pawz/fatkitties_320x240.jpg

Megan

chico2
July 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM
They are adorable and full of mischief like kittens should be..
My cats,although all grown up,will chase flies and misshaps happen because they just focus on that fly and not where,or how high up they are:D
and no,eating flies will not harm them,some free protein:D

jiorji
July 20th, 2006, 07:13 PM
my cat's fat too. And she's on a diet and the other cat lost the weight instead :mad:

sneaky!