Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs elephant skin

simbasmom
July 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I was told by the groomer that my dog shamus a 14 lb shihtzu and 9 years old had elephant skin under his front right arm, it was dark crusty horrible from under the arm to elbow area it slowly subsided with his licking which I tried to stop and used polysporin it worked in time .now he has it growing again down the front of his paws and feet. to-day I had to wrap his one leg and foot with guaze and polysporin what the heck is this.I take this dog every three months to the vet for an ear infection I never get to ask her what this is ,she always sends him in the room with her intern( no answers given yet.):mad:

Prin
July 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Maybe it's the chemicals from the hair dye that are rotting your dog's skin.

jiorji
July 19th, 2006, 11:36 PM
yeah....what is up with the hair dye?? Permanent or not, hair dye is for human adults only.

Please...(and I'm saying this nicely)...wash that off and never ever consider doing that to him/her ever again. That dogs isn't a toy. He's probably allergic to the dye. Animals have much more sensitive skin.

And you know..answers never come unless you ask. Ask your vet about what the hair dye is doing to your dog's skin. ANd perhaps its affect on the ear infection. Or get a different vet and see what that one will say if you're not happy with how your current vet treats you.

good uck

Boubou
July 19th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Boy, that is a shocking picture of your dog, and the green certainly doesn't help! What are you using to dye your dogs hair? I hope it's nothing other than food dye....

As a groomer I see lots of shihtzus with the same symptoms as yours: thickend skin under the arms, usually accompanied by thick skin around the groin and neck area, swollen and redness inbetween the pads of the feet, ear infections with yellowish discharge that doesn't respond to meds, and often the dog has a 'smelly feet' odor.

I'm surprised your vet didn't suggest an allergy. It could be a food allergy, or an allergy to vaccinations, flea treatments, heartworm meds, or even seasonal allergies. The easiest thing to do is take a look at your pets food. Does it have alot of fillers such as corn and wheat? Get rid of it if it does. Consider the BARF diet. There is a company that sells it frozen and it is nicely packaged and easy to serve to your pet if you don't like the idea of handling raw meat. (the company name is Prairie). Also, don't vaccinate every year and stop any other chemical products you are giving him (such as heartworm meds or flea treatments).

Make sure any shampoos you use are oatmeal based and/or anti-allergen with no fragrances as this can irritate his skin more. the oatmeal will help sooth is itchy spots. Also, if he is so itchy he is getting hotspots which can easily get infected, I would get him on a low dose of cortisone for a TEMPORARY period until it gets under control. Good luck!

Puppyluv
July 20th, 2006, 05:35 AM
I avoided posting at first, but now that it's been said, I agree, hair dyes are a BIG no no especially for a dog with skin conditions. Switch to all natural shampoos, shampoo less often (if you are bathing often) consider switching to a holistic food, remove chemical cleaners etc from the areas that he is in (clean floors with vinegar, not Mr Clean as an ex)

simbasmom
July 20th, 2006, 12:37 PM
nooooooo its not dye. its cake edible color tested not blu thats danger been taken out by the health board,I`m in health I would never harm a human or an animal but thanks for your concern. it was holloween and the grandkids used safe cake color not dye.:thumbs up

dtbmnec
July 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I think the dog looks like "and WHY did you let your kids dye me?"

In fact I imagine that must be a similar look to the one my mom saw on a little Jack Russell that was newly introduced to a kitten (the kitten decided that hanging from the dog's collar was fun and even though the owners kept taking him off the collar he'd go right back on). This is also the same Jack Russell who would chase the school bus in the morning. :eek:

Otherwise I got nothing...

Dog is cute though....

:)

I know nothing about dogs (well compared to these guys anyway) so you're gonna have to listen to them. :)

Megan