- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Portosystemic Shunt Disease

doggy lover
July 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
My friends puppy has been diagnosed with shunt disease, she is looking into having the surgery done and I was wondering if anyone out there has gone through this with their dog? What was the out come, did the dog survive and did the surgery work? Her vet does not perform the surgery it would have to go to a specialist. I got her to call my vet but he is off today so she will call back tomorrow but the secretary said that she is sure he does that kind of surgery. So here is hoping little Pocket will make it:fingerscr , I also told her to call the person she got the puppy from and let them know as it is hereditary.

July 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Sorry, I don't have any experience with shunts..:o

July 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Oh, wait! I forgot that I had found a crazy-great site for surgery things. They have it all explained with animations and everything!
(graphic images)

July 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM
my little girl's brother died from a liver shunt at about 6 months of age. he was diagnosed too late, at that stage he was so sick they could not operate (he had other illnesses that masked the liver failure). :fingerscr your Pocket makes it :fingerscr good luck!

doggy lover
July 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys, Pocket is about 4 months I believe and other than having grand mal seisures (I believe about 5 since they got him), he seems perfectly healthy. He is poodlexShih Tzu and poodle xMiniture Schnauzers all are pron to Liver shunts.
He even came and played with Tucker two weeks ago and they had a blast. Then we took them shopping at Super Pets. He goes in today for the bile screening, and then she will call my vet from there other than that it will probably be Guelph. I know the surgery has a 85% success rate, but even the surgery can be tricky. I keep you guys informed on what goes on. Thanks

July 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
I hope all goes well with the surgery Doggy lover.

My mini schnauzer has been diagnosed with a liver shunt a month or so ago..
and it was a stressful ordeal , bringin him into the vets to get the stones flushed several times; which had developed because of the shunt.

We ended up having surgery to get the stones removed and he is now on a low protein diet. Our vet did mention surgery to us, but were going to wait and see if he develops stones again. Good luck to u both

doggy lover
July 23rd, 2006, 05:21 PM
My friend will get the results on Monday, but another vet she took her pup to thinks it could just be epilepsy that is causing the seisures. So they are just waiting to see what the test tells. They have said about putting the puppy on a low protein diet if it is the liver shunt, but have recommended the surgery too.