Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hello fella animal lovers I`m a newbie here so hello all.

simbasmom
July 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM
:crazy: I have a one eyed himmy she came at 6mths old no one wanted her she`s heaven incarnate.our newly aquired ****zu same one eye -9years mom gave him away last year.were retired so we have to watch our money,but we cleaned up both quite well.( to say the least about vet bills.) now we have a greater problem with the ****zu he`s 14 lbs and sucks his feet and legs (not good)they will bleed, so on goes the plastic helmet seems like he is always wearing it these days. changed diet to organic no treats at all scratching has somewhat got better since.His ear is a yeast problem each 3 mths. anyone know what this dog shoul eat to help him from this obsession to lick his toes.Another thing what is elephant skin he had that and polysporin fixed it up.help:fingerscr

Prin
July 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the board. Just so you know, if you spell it "shih tzu", it won't get censored. ;)

For what to feed, you have to look at all the foods you have fed in the past and choose a new one without any overlapping ingredients in it. I find usually fish based ones (with potato) or venison ones are the easiest to try.

Otherwise it could be seasonal allergies.

The ear infection should be treated by the vet first. It could also be allergy related or you might just have to clean her ears more often (ask the vet to show you how).

simbasmom
July 19th, 2006, 03:11 PM
:thumbs up shamus does go to the vet faithfully each 3mths for a plug out clean with medication to the ear. its just so expensive ,it`s $80,00 each time I would liketo clen up this with diet. thankyou again:)

Prin
July 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
But have you asked the vet to show you how to clean the ears yourself?

simbasmom
July 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM
yes she showed me how to so far but she says the plug must come out from her only.:confused:

H.P.
July 19th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Hi and Welcome! Does Shamus go to the groomer? When I was grooming, we always cleaned the ears. If he does have a groomer, make sure that they know that he is prone to ear infections. If the ears are not cleaned properly, it can increase the risk of infection. We used a powder to help loosen the hair, and improve the grip of the hemostats. The powder has to be washed out after the hair is pulled, we used an ear cleaning solution that had a high alcohol content, which also would help evaporate any water that got into the ear. We then q-tipped them really good. Bacteria and fungus like dark, damp warm places, furry floppy ears provide that environment. I have known people who tied the ears loosely behind the head with a ponytail holder for a while each day, to let them air out. I don't know if that is effective or not, but the dogs didn't seem to mind looking funny :crazy: . HTH

simbasmom
July 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM
thanks for the concern,he does go to the groomer every 2 months they know about the ears and I just heard on the island news what is happening to the dogs this summer with bleeding feet and itchyness,its called speargrass it gets under their skin especialy to the feet and legs. my husband wanted a wild garden patch and that is what caused the dogs problem,can you believe it the news just came on with it.so I washed his legs and feet right away and now hes sleeping. hope this was it. have a great day.:fingerscr