Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walking my pup

Sadie_Girl
July 19th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I don't know if this is in the right place but here goes..

When ever I take my pup out for a walk she will start barking constantly from the time we go out the door to when we come back.. Could this be cause she's scared? How can i make her stop?

It's funny in some ways but gets annoying after a while and i end up just picking her up and carrying her back home.. ppl look at me like i must be hurting her or somewhat .. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Dog Dancer
July 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Welcome Sadie Girl,

There are many people on this board who do training and I'm sure someone will respond with more experience than I have, but here's my suggestion.

What breed is she, and how old is she by the way? It may make a difference to how some people would suggest you address the issue. I myself would try distracting her with maybe a tiny food treat - show it to her and tell her "Quiet" - when she stops barking because she's interested in the treat give it to her with lots of praise like "Good Quiet" It would have to be something she really likes, and make the pieces very tiny so she doesn't gain weight. After she starts to get the idea of Quiet - replace the treats sporadically with just the praise and a pat on the head. Just give her a treat once in a while so she's always anticipating the treat.

Don't know if it will work, but it's how I taught my dog to "Leave it" when she picked stuff up. Good luck!