Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ad found: a pathetic search for stud services

lezzpezz
July 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
found this on LondonClassifieds.ca...and yes, I have emailed this person with info on back yard breeding and asked that she please read it and reconsider her decision to breed her dog with just anything out there....:mad:

Description
I am looking for a medium sized male dog in the London area to breed
with female Australian Blue Heeler this fall. Mutts/Mixed breeds welcome. In return, owner will receive pick of litter or
pre-determined monetary amount upon coonfirmation of pregnancy. If interested,
please e-mail me at.......

what are people thinking???

technodoll
July 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM
that is just so incredibly stupid and irresponsible. maybe they should post an ad in the paper for Brain Needed. :mad:

mastifflover
July 19th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Just what the world needs more puppies because there is not quite enough dogs needing homes already. She thought they said trains when they were giving out brains

lezzpezz
July 19th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I have created a pseudonym hotmail account so I can respond to such byb ads and related crap and give a polite factual dressing-down to these idiots. I hope to enlighten them with solid, realistic info so they may see how it really is for the dogs they care so dearly about. Doubt I will make any converts, but I will surely let it be know that their actions are despicable, irresponsible and absolutely frowned upon....

Here's another ad, (gosh, at least 2 a day....I'll be busy!), from Kijiji:

Pure Siberian Husky (male) for Breeding Ad ID: 4296172
Price: Please contact
Street address: Sarnia Road, London,
Date Listed: 18-Jul-06
Available for Breeding ASAP is a 1.2 year old Siberian Husky, He's bred before and had 7 pups all of which had blue eyes and similar markings. He does NOT have his papers so breeding will be cheap. He's just shy of 60 lbs, brown eyes, grey and some beige markings. He's just about as big as huskys come but he's a super big suck and loves being outside running around.

Any other questions please feel free to contact me. Other pictures are available apon request.

I can be reached at ..............

Thanks for your interest!

Here's my blurb, and I am happy for any feedback or improvements:o :

Please read this small fact on unwanted animals in pounds from London Free Press July 18/06:
"About 10,000 London dogs and cats have been euthanized during the last five years, including more than 1,400 last year." Sad fact....where do you think they came from?
Please reconsider adding more (puppies) to the world by being a textbook backyard breeder. Shelters and foster homes are overflowing. The description of a typical backyard breeder can be found here, and it clearly illustrates your situation and intentions to a "T": http://www.adoptarescuepet.org/byb.htm
Be responsible, be respected! Neuter your pet!
Thank you for your time.

mastifflover
July 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM
That is a great response very diplomatic I would have been a lot more direct in my opinion of what they want to do.

lezzpezz
July 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM
got into some tete-a-tetes over difference of opinion regarding animals! I have learned to bite my tongue and just be "diplomatic". Just giving facts and pointing out the reality. The rest is up to them....guilty conscience? I doubt it...but it certainly ruffles their feathers and makes them think. And they fire back sometimes and it is usually in the vein of MYOB!. So I email back if they hit something specifically or ask a question, but maintain my composure. I have ended some correspondence with having a guy actually say, "it's nice to see that some people still actually care about the animals...." so he was receptive, at least....

I will carry on then.....

Thanks, Mastifflover, for the vote of confidence!

mastifflover
July 19th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Changing just one persons mind is a big step. Keep up the great work

Frenchy
July 19th, 2006, 11:32 AM
That is great of you Lezzpezz.I started responding to some of these adds.Unfortunatly,on kijiji (french) it's unfreaking believable how many adds per day :mad: Now I only respond to the really stupid ones.Where I don't have to be polite.Well,ok,I am polite but don't put my "white gloves" on.

lezzpezz
July 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this! I was beginning to think I was going overboard, as my husband thinks I am:p I just feel compelled to jump in there and help where I can...:highfive:

Frenchy
July 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM
No,we are not alone!There is more and more people who are putting adds,instead of selling,breeding, it's to ask people to go adopt in shelters,spca,warning against puppy mill.I think french quebecers are slowly waking up!And it,s about time!

Maxine
July 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Hey everyone! I was reading it and I think I can help too, you think you have some links for websites with stats and facts ?? Not for london, but for canada? (or maybe you were talking about london ontario sorry i misunderstood:confused: ) Thanks in advance:highfive:

Maxine

Frenchy
July 19th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Maxine,I'll pm you.

Prin
July 19th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I have to post my own ad:

STUD ready to mate: Male dog, possibly newf/pointer or dane/lab mix, tall, dark, handsome. Untested, uncertified, unshowed, but he's healthy, good looking and a good boy. $500 non-refundable downpayment required and $3000 per successful sperm*.

*Disclaimer: Stud is 'jewelly-challenged', and odds of impregnation are statistically probably around 1000000000 to 1. Good luck and thanks for the downpayment, ya moron! :p

Sexy Stud!

technodoll
July 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM
(sorry short threadjack)

boo looks so much like my cousin's dog CÚsar, who is a lab/dane mix... here he was 2 years ago at about 2 years of age. he's quite bigger now though, he matured late. dakotah was 4 months old.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/whome.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/theboyshangingout.jpg

End of threadjack! :o

Prin
July 19th, 2006, 11:09 PM
*restart of thread jack:

The only things that deter me from thinking there's lab in him are his ears, his thinner frame and his toes (and that he points).

See, Jemma is almost a lab. She has more delicate legs, but the rest of her is lab (60lbs too)- she's tiny next to Boo, which could be the dane in Boo (or the newf). But he's definitely not a usual lab shape (he still has almost no chest) and you see his toes are long and his ears are very long... And he doesn't have lab fur- he's got short (about 1cm) fur that is very fluffy- almost all undercoat-like.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20Boo%20June%20July%202006/IMG_0078.jpg
We'll never know...
*End thread jack.

technodoll
July 20th, 2006, 08:46 AM
the gosh-darn thing about mixes is, in the SAME litter of crossbreds, most often than not the sibling puppies do not look alike when all grown up :eek: some take up more mom characteristics, some more dad, some a mix of both, some of neither. Also, what if Boo was a lab/dane mix but one of his parents was part/mix with something else? that would throw more variations in the mix. Danes have long thin floppy ears, and BYB labs have all sorts of ears (no standard). Newfs have shorter, thick ears and a LOT of coat, so if Boo had newf in him, i suspect you'd see more of that typical coat... but then again, maybe not! LOL and about the toes, legs, chest, etc - that could all be from variations within his parent breeds - and don't forget that ealier neutering of males often gives a taller, lankier (less chested) dog... who knows, he might just be a prime species of North American Black Dog :p

my cousin's dog has a dane coat but thicker and more plush, you can see the lab in there. i'll try and get some photos next time we see him. he's about 29" tall and overweight at 115 lbs, the vet said he should be about 95. since they got him from a weirdo family who didn't want him anymore (oh he had the worst seperation anxiety at the time, too!), they're not 100% sure of his parentage either. it's just what was told to them. :cool:

Frenchy
July 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Your add is wrong Prin,it should say ; stud available for breeding;pure newfpointdalab! If I had more time,I would put the add just to see how many :troll: would respond to it! I'm sure their first question would be;is it an hypoallergic dog??

dtbmnec
July 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I first thought of stud services of another sort....lol

But yeah that does suck....

*sigh*

Megan

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
and don't forget that ealier neutering of males often gives a taller, lankier (less chested) dog... who knows, he might just be a prime species of North American Black Dog :p
He was neutered later- we only got him around 6 or 7 months old, so age of neutering shouldn't have figured in.

I don't know- half of me wants him to be dane, but having had a pure lab before, there just isn't any lab in Boo's personality at all. Like we look at Jemma's behavior and say "Oh it's the husky" or "oh that's the lab", but with Boo, he's got the daney sort of goofiness, the pointer stubbornness (next to a pointer or weimeraner, you'd swear they were brothers of mischief), and the newf's "get along with the world" character and sleepiness... We'll never know, eh?

Your add is wrong Prin,it should say ; stud available for breeding;pure newfpointdalab! If I had more time,I would put the add just to see how many would respond to it! I'm sure their first question would be;is it an hypoallergic dog?? Yes! He is!! If you are allergic to dogs, generally, you aren't allergic to Boo. If you aren't allergic to dogs, then there is a 50/50 chance you are allergic to Boo...(but we'll leave that out of the ad).

I first thought of stud services of another sort....lolWhat? You thought technodoll was studding out her bro?:eek:
Baow chikka baow baow..:D

technodoll
July 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
hey prin, i was more basing my comment about boo's height & chest on the study posted here (see link in thread at http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28585)

A study by Salmeri et al in 1991 found that bitches spayed at 7 weeks grew significantly taller than those spayed at 7 months, who were taller than those not spayed (or presumably spayed after the growth plates had closed).(1) A study of 1444 Golden Retrievers performed in 1998 and 1999 also found bitches and dogs spayed and neutered at less than a year of age were significantly taller than those spayed or neutered at more than a year of age.(2) The sex hormones, by communicating with a number of other growth-related hormones, promote the closure of the growth plates at puberty (3), so the bones of dogs or bitches neutered or spayed before puberty continue to grow. Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls.

regardless, wouldn't it be so cool to meet some of boo's siblings?? :p then you could kidnap one.. heh heh...

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I knew what you meant, (I wasn't offended or anything) but we just got him too late for that (otherwise it would have been an issue :evil: ).

I betcha he has brown siblings. He looks black, but next to a "real" black dog, he's brown- so there's probably a brown gene in there.

I found some old pics from when we first got him and you know how I brag about his orange eyes? Well, before he had the bad breeding, bad health, dilute yellow puppymill eyes. I didn't notice then, but looking at them now, it's almost as though the pics weren't properly developed. Sad beginning for such a great guy.

technodoll
July 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM
i missed his beginnings... is there a thread somewhere? or you could write it again if you have the patience :o

i might get kicked for this but... is anyone else but me just sick and tired of picking up after other people's "mistakes" and irresponsibilities and carelessness, etc? it's not the faults of all those poor dogs in rescues, they never asked to be born (same as for children...), BUT as long as kind-hearted people continue to save these poor souls, there will be @ssholes who take advantage of that - it's like you empty the hole, and some moron comes along 2 minutes later and fills it up again! it never ends :sad: You know?

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM
No, I don't have his beginnings on here... I'll have to borrow my dad's scanner again and scan in some old pics from when he looked like a newf and 18 inch bones were longer than his legs.:D

In a nutshell, he was beaten, had sores all over his body and a couple of wavy broken ribs. He also had very red fur in the very beginning (hence was named "Cliff"), but that all fell out and was replaced by healthy blackish fur. We think his previous owner got him to be an attack dog. When you put on big gloves, he lunges and bites them. Also, if you wrestle, he grabs your calf and shakes... Sounds bad, but it's funny because he's so bad at it and he thinks it's a big game.:clown: He's such a goof.

He ran away from his first owner, ate some rabbits (he licks his lips when he sees rabbits), and then was found by a nice man whose wife was allergic (I don't know why! He's hypoallergenic! :D) and brought to the SPCA.

For somewhere between 2 and 4 months, he threw up every night all night and cost me $2000. Nightmares and anxiety attacks, mostly and an intolerance to chicken.

And now he's Boo, livin' in the lap of luxury day in and day out. :D

I wish dogs were easier. That way we could all take in 5 without worrying about anything and there would be fewer sad faces on petfinder. I also wish we could educate the world somehow and ban petstores that sell anything but food and toys (puppymills would also be banned too, and owners of illegal ones would get the chair...:evil: ).

In a perfect world.

In a not-so-perfect world, your own brother is rehoming a dog. In a not-so-perfect world, you can't talk to friends about animals because you just don't want to know and your friendship depends on not knowing. In a not-so-perfect world, we are the minority.:sad:

technodoll
July 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM
good lord... thanks alot, now i'm at work with misty eyes and a hurting heart for poor boo... how the $%?&*()_@#$%?& can people do that to small innocent creatures! may they all burn in H3LL! :mad:

the minute i am in a house and can have more than 2... you bet i'm gonna foster and rescue. i can't wait.

dtbmnec
July 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
What? You thought technodoll was studding out her bro?:eek:
Baow chikka baow baow..:D

LOL not quite!

I was thinking someone was advertising HIMSELF as a stud.....

Megan

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I don't feel bad for Boo anymore... He has it pretty good.:D I mean, his parents bought him a house near the river.:D

I'd like to have a third, but the man is still pretty firm about not getting another. I wish he wasn't allergic, but then again, since I've met him, he's become far less allergic. When we had the two fosterpuppies, they slept in our room with Jemma and my man could still sleep... :D One day. I'll just keep showing him petfinder cuties and Ontario Greys' post from last week where she said you don't even notice 5 greyhounds in the house...:D

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
dtbmnec, lol that would be pathetic indeed!