Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

shrug...an unfortunate fire alarm mishap

jiorji
July 19th, 2006, 04:29 AM
I was rudely awaken by the sinister building fire alarm. And surely enough, at 4:50 am nobody's rushing down the hallway to evacuate. I'm sure everybody's thinking "man....are you serious!?!? i'll just sleep it off".

There's rumor of a man who's a bit too happy about what the alarm does and so i've heard he giddily pulls it randomly when he gets bored just to see everyone rush out in panic. That were if .....IT WASN'T 4 AM IN THE #$@%# MORNING!!:mad: :mad:

I'm sure the firefighters were happy to realize no apartment had any smoke. Plus it took them a loveley 15-20 minutes to show up. That's 20 minutes too late that robbed me of my sleep. What's the point in sleeping now?? They're currently going around to everyone's place, and if they don't hurry, oh I'll unplug the thing myself!

I'm one of those nocturnal people who go sleep around 2 am, and are in no way accustomed to waking up this early, so it will be my duty to think :evil: thoughts of the individual who pulled the alarm this morning. I wasn't even aware the sun came out this early. To me...NOON is sunrise time LOL

So too bad for the pathetic soul who decided to pull this prank. No one rushed out and I hope his coffee tastes bad this morning!:evil: You guys should've seen the firemen...all walking around leisurly parking the trucks in the street.....no need to hurry.:rolleyes:

.....end of bitter rant. :o

Puppyluv
July 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Hmmm I was waking up for my run while you were going to bed, and I just started work when you posted this.... But in all fairness I went to bed VERY early, so I do feel bad for you.

I thouhgt it was illegal to pull alarms at random, and can ring up a hefty fine.. if you guys know who it is who pulls it, I would report him and make him pay:evil:

jiorji
July 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
well we do, but I guess no one has any proof and he's mentally imbalanced so I don't know if it would be nice to "turn him in".

Bearsmom
July 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM
It's amazing the number of folks who ignore fire alarms. Before, however, you're quick to blame the fire department for not showing up for 20 minutes, I've gotta explain some things to you.

When a fire alarm is received, the monitoring station attempts to contact the superintendent or "keyholder"-someone responsible for the building. If the person on site states that there's no smoke or fire, the truck will respond non-emergency (without lights or sirens) to help the superintendent reset the alarm (people are NOT allowed to silence/reset the alarms without fire department personnel being present). Non-emergent responses are necessary as if a firetruck is screaming through an area (and the crew is aware it's a false alarm) and has an accident, the fire department can be held liable since it was a knowingly false alarm and they risked lives for no reason.

People under duress often think times were 15-20 minutes, when in fact it wasn't that long, I once had a call that the lady phoned 911 25 times since her original call screaming that no one had showed up yet, and she'd been waiting 30 minutes for a firetruck. Our actual response time was 4 minutes from the time the first 911 call was made to crews arrival on scene.

Lastly, if you can let your superintendent (or someone responsible for the building) know what you suspect about this person pulling the alarm, you can make them aware....

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hmm... Good points Bearsmom, but being that my brother's building burned and somebody died in the fire and the fire trucks only got there 45 minutes after the first call (in Montreal- not rural or anything), I tend to lean towards getting the best insurance money can buy and getting the hey out of there ASAP. ;) They even joked about how slow the Montreal fire department is on "This hour has 22 minutes" a couple times- the reputation is not great.:sad:

In Ahuntsic though (burrough at the top of Boul. St-Laurent in Montreal), they were amazing. All 4 times my neighbors attempted to burn down our building, they were there in under 2 minutes. :thumbs up:

jiorji
July 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
It's amazing the number of folks who ignore fire alarms. Before, however, you're quick to blame the fire department for not showing up for 20 minutes, I've gotta explain some things to you.

I'm not blaming the fire department. I sense a bit of a sore spot there hehe
My annoyance is with the crazy man who pulled the alarm.

the building office staff i'm sure are well aware of this man, as he used to sneak in to the other building and pull their alarm and so they changed the all access buzzer number so he won't get in there anymore. And so it worked but I guess since he couldn't get in he pulled the alarm in his own building.
I'm telling you, this man isn't stable...and should they charge him with anything i wonder if that would actually pass.

Prin
July 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah, Bearsmom is a firefighter.:highfive:

dtbmnec
July 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I've never had an issue with the fire department....or police or anything....My family got some military help during the Ice Storm....Oh is that even rife with stories too....

Random anecdote: I live in terror of something small happening and the authorities are called out for no "real" reason, for example about three weeks after I moved in my friend and I were making supper. Unbeknownst to us however, we weren't aware that putting olive oil on a warm (like the lowest setting) burner (in a pan of course) would smoke and burn. Boy were we wrong:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/dtbmnec/thekitchen.jpg

As you can see smoke all over the kitchen and the smoke alarm in the house went off. Once we realised our error we fixed it but it was still really smokey. So I tried wisking the smoke away from the alarm (actually accidentally hit the alarm and broke it off its connectors, the alarm itself is fine though) to keep someone from randomly calling 911 because our alarm is going off. So we finally shut up the alarm and having to get all that smoke out of the kitchen without letting it into the hallway sucked! We have zero air flow in the apartment. After about 3/4 of an hour we did manage to get most of it out, but to my surprise, NO ONE (even the person across the hallway who can hear everything!) came to see if we were ok. NO ONE came to see if it was an emergency (maybe I'd passed out from smoke inhalation or soemthing) or anything! I mean sure we had stopped the smoke alarm but it took us a little while to do even that (before me bashing it lol)!

It was some icky smoke though....my eyes hurt afterwards....I can see how in a real emergency with even worse smoke its easy to stop doing anything because of the smoke.

Megan

dragon_queen
July 20th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Sad but true...
I've heard that some people pull the fire alarm to get people out of the house quick , so they don't take time to lock the door and then go in to steal stuff. :confused:

I've been in an apartment fire, lost everything, sadly I lost my cat and 2 birds. Best to get out anything can be replaced but you and loved ones.

jiorji
July 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM
that's sad Dragon :sad:

I hope there's never a real fire in the building as it's more difficult to round up cats to go outside when there's a lot of commotion.

so I hope :fingerscr this never happens

dragon_queen
July 20th, 2006, 06:42 PM
sadly my cat was scared and hid under the bed, my bf at the time found her :sad: she died from the smoke. The whole building was a waste and sadly the woman that lived above me died.

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 01:22 AM
Aww that's so sad. I'm so sorry you lost your cat that way. :sad:

Like I said above, my bro was in a fire last year (there's a thread about it around here somewhere). He got out because of his two pitties who woke him up. He left with just slippers and pjs on and lost everything as he watched the fire spread slowly from the neighboring apartment into his while the firemen hadn't even arrived.:sad: At least he got out with his doggies though. The neighbor who started the fire died.