Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How and where to set up a dog run?

toymom
July 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Our dogs dig and are trying to dig under the fence - most likely now to try to see the dog next door. I called a trainer who suggested a dog run placed on brick or concrete. We have a stone patio, so it could go there and we have a latice type cover and we can put some of that green corregated plastic stuff over that part of it to make some shade and can put water in there and they won't be there tons, but could be for most of the day some times if no one is going to be home. Do dogs potty in dog runs or do they abstain like the do with their crates? Will it be ok to have a dog run on a patio? We have two big buckets that we keep full of water outside - is there anything else I need to know? Thanks

BMDLuver
July 18th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Generally when dogs dig it's because they are bored unless a hunting breed who wants that bunny and will go to any length to find a way out. Although dog runs have a purpose in protecting your lawn, leaving dogs unattended while out for the day may result in them being stolen from your yard. Just a caution. Also, if they dump the buckets in this heat, they can likely dehydrate before you get home particuliarly when one is a young pup. I've never found them to be a safe solution but that's JMHO.

mona_b
July 18th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Ditto on what BMD said.

Hmmmm,I would have thought this trainer would have suggested to you on how to correct the digging,not set up a dog run.:confused:

Why don't you just put patio stones along the fence?

And yes,they do potty in the runs also.

meb999
July 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Make sure to change the water buckets everyday...outside water bowls get full of bacteria really fast and could make your pooches sick :sick:

LibbyP
July 18th, 2006, 09:40 AM
As for water dumping, 1st pail large secured to fencing,2nd pail alittle smaller than the first, put smaller one inside that one that can be dumped at the end of the day, but cannot be dumped by dogs.

dakar
July 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM
We have just finished a dog run for our dogs and they really like it. Well, OK maybe not REALLY like but they are happy with it and don't fuss about going in or being there. And it allows us to reclaim our backyard so everyone is happy. I suggest you do a little research first. Just google building an outdoor dog run. There is lots of info on size etc. Read a lot and then ask around to your vet, trainer, etc and decide on a size that will be comfortable for your dogs. Ours is about 40 ft long and 10 ft wide for our two fairly large dogs. After you pick a space, watch it for a few days. Make sure there is good shade at all times. We didn't have a lot of choice on location because of the size of our run and there are about two hours each day when there is no shade. We know that the dogs are either in the house during that time or have free run of the yard where they can access shade. Always have fresh water and shelter: a dog house or kennel available. From what I read, cement pads are not ideal for a dog run because they can be hard on the dogs feet if they are in the run for extended periods of time. We did a little relandscaping and digging to make sure that the drainage in the kennel was good (you don't want standing water after a rain - the dogs need a dry space) and then stapled down chicken wire over the whole space. Around the edges of the chicken wire we set down a border of bricks. Then we filled the space with peagravel to the top of the bricks. There is no way our dogs could dig out. Just, please, know that a dog run isn't a place to put your pups and forget about them. They still need lots of attention from you and lots of stimulus and exercise. Oh, and yes they potty in the kennel. They need enough space that they can do their thing far from their 'living space' and you'll need to clean it daily.

toymom
July 18th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Thank you - we do change the water in the buckets regularly but we have a swimming pool and they drink out of that too. (the pool will not be inside the dog run though) We put chicken wire along the ground by one part of the fence and covered it with dirt and they stopped digging there, but we have a long fence, and it would be a big job to do that to the whole thing or to put stones along it all. I think one fence is 78 feet and another is about twice that long and the third piece is probably 35 or 40 feet. The dogs have torn up the mesh pool fence and they just like digging. One is a 3 yo golden retriever and the other is a 11 month old mutt puppy. Right now in the hot weather we are keeping them inside most of the time anyway, but when it is nice weather, we want to be able to put them outside to enjoy the fresh air without having to watch them all of the time and without them eating the siding off of the house - which they have done some of, and destroying things.