Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trouble with new puppy

Kimmy Jo
January 21st, 2004, 01:45 PM
I purchased a new toy poodle a week ago. She is 2 months old. I also have a silky terrier. He is 2 years old and I've had him about 9 months.
The problem is that Checkers, (the silky), does not like Jodi, (the poodle), at all! I love them both but I hate seeing Checkers so upset. He snarles and growles at Jodi and wont let her near him. Any suggestions on what I can do to help Checkers get along better with Jodi? Thanks.

Lucky Rescue
January 21st, 2004, 01:59 PM
We need a lot more info in order to help. Does your older dog act like this all time? Or just at feeding time,etc.? How does the puppy react? If she is bugging your older dog too much, you need to separate them for cooling off periods.

How did you introduce them? If you just brought the puppy home and plunked it down, your older dog is feeling invaded and territorial.

Is there actual harm being done? Is the puppy being hurt? If not, then the older dog is probably just laying down the rules for the puppy,and although it can sound very nasty and violent it usually isn't.

What do you do when your older dogs snaps and snarls?

Terriers can be intolerant of other dogs,although usually not of puppies.

Here is an article and a bunch of links that may help the situation.
Adding a dog (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/others.htm)

Kimmy Jo
January 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM
Thank you for the advice.
My terrier acts aggressive everytime the puppy comes around him. No matter what or where. No, he has never hurt the puppy. You can tell he is just trying to tell her to leave him alone. She is learning somewhat. She doesn't approach him as much as she did in the first few days. I was just hoping they could be friends. I don't want Checkers, (the terrier), to be unhappy. He has been around other puppies before and not acted like this. Some people have said that he has a sense that this puppy is here to stay, not just for a visist. Could that be true? I just want to know what I can do to make things better for Checkers. Jodi, (the puppy), is fine. It's Checkers I'm worried about.

Lucky Rescue
January 22nd, 2004, 09:32 AM
It's only been a week. It could take much longer for your older dog to adjust.

Did you find something helpful in the link I gave you?

Something else you might do is have them on different sides of a gate - close but not able to touch. Give your dog treats and praise for being close to the puppy and NOT growling or snapping.

This way, he'll learn that the puppy = good things.

Carina
January 22nd, 2004, 09:44 AM
LR gave great advice as usual...

Checkers doesn't "know" the pup is here to stay, he just knows there's this annoying little being in his house now!

I'm assuming he hasn't drawn blood or scared her to the point of her being always nervous. I happen to think that sometimes an older dog being the "enforcer" can teach a young pup some real dog-manners. My old Phoebe helped me raise several pups - one of my own, and some foster puppies. There were a few times she scared the bejeezus out of them for getting to close to her food or whatever, but she never hurt them at all, though a couple of times Cooper acted like he was being killed!

Once Jodi gets a bit more mature & less rambunctious, she'll wind up being the boss of him. I'll put money on that. Female dogs virtually always are top dog & males accept it; they are hardwired that way.

Do like LR suggests & step in if either dog gets too obnoxious. It'll resolve in time. :)

Lucky Rescue
January 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM
I happen to think that sometimes an older dog being the "enforcer" can teach a young pup some real dog-manners.

Right. My last dog made it his business to teach manners to all other dogs that he deemed rude.:p

He was not aggressive, just very dominant and strict! I saw him flip a full grown husky on it's back and hold it there until the husky submitted. There was never bloodshed or injuries and I never interfered.

Dogs understand this language very well - much better than they understand being whacked with newspapers!

The only time I would step in if I were in Kimmy Jo's place is if there are injuries, OR if the puppy is becoming too nervous, submissive or fearful.

Kimmy Jo
January 22nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
I did get some good ideas from the link you sent. Thank you. When the weather warms up, I'll take them to a neutral area so they can get to know each other better.
I appreciate everyone thoughts and advice. It really has helped. Time will probably take care of most of the problem. I just need to be patient. I love them both and want them to be happy. When I saw Checkers was so upset, it upset me too! :(
Just being able to discuss the issue with other dog lovers has helped me. Thanks again.