Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bagged Salad Warning

rainbow
July 17th, 2006, 01:41 PM
BAGGED SALAD WARNING !!!

Be sure you click on the MSNBC link at the end.
This is scary

For all you salad eaters...pass this along...

Did you watch Dateline on Sunday evening? They did a documentary on cut-up lettuce and spinach in plastic bags.

They took us through the whole process and talked about Ecoli now that is showing up in the salad mix in bags.

They don't know yet how the Ecoli got in, but they do know deaths and serious sicknesses are occurring in many states.

One woman told about how her child was near death from the lettuce and was
sick for a long time.

They warned us not to buy any until they find out from investigation what is causing this. The Dole Company has recalled their bags.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12536902/

happycats
July 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM
OMG thanks for the info.
I buy it sometimes when I'm in a rush, but I usually buy green leaf lettuce and I always wash my lettuce in water with a bit of lemon or vinegar, to kill germs.

mastifflover
July 17th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Does it affect the spring mix or the spinach in the plastic tubs. I am lazy all the time when it comes to salad. For something so good for you it takes time to make a good salad. Made great spinach salad last night with all the usual stuff and instead of orange slices I used BBQ mango Yummy

Golden Girls
July 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM
OMG I have a bag of "Classic Romaine" salad in my fridge and a bag of Spinach. Well, I had ...

Thanks so much for that info - back to the long way of doing things :)

dtbmnec
July 17th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I almost never buy those (and I've got a minor allergy to spinach anyway) so I am in the clear. I was going to buy some at some point but.....I think I'll stick with cutting my own fingers off.

lol

Megan

Puppyluv
July 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I don't buy the bags,but like mstifflover, I buy the plastic tubs. I don't think I can give up my organic spring baby greens!!!

technodoll
July 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM
i assume washing the bagged lettuce would work to clean off any bugs? :confused:

glasslass
July 17th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I couldn't bring up the link, probably because of our firewall here at work. I'll try again from home. I've loved ready to serve salads. Oh no! I don't want to know, but I don't want to not know!

CyberKitten
July 17th, 2006, 07:36 PM
It is not only bugs - and admittedly I did not watch Dateline - but I NEVER buy those salads because once in the body, there are way too many preservatives and certain chemicals some of them turn into the dreaded carcinogenic fermaldhyde. (approved in quantites by various govts tho not all). Washing this stuff cannot possibly make it any better. Personally, I think they should be banned but until then, I opt to just buy produce and make my own salads.

I also have to admit I learned this not from any of my fellow oncologists but from various well informed nutritionists who teach at a local university - (We provide dietetic internships for their students at our hospital and my clinic so I talk to them often. Personally, I learned very little about nutrition in med school - and even in grad biochem classes.)

Golden Girls
July 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
If you read the article it's not only the bag of salads and spinach. There's been 400 + who have been sick with food born illnesses linked to leafy greens since '95 and it's still a mystery so what the heck is vegetarians suppose to live on

Unless we cook our salads at 400 degrees and just tell yourself it's crunchy :p

Prin
July 17th, 2006, 10:16 PM
No, E coli is usually dead at 75 degrees celsius, no?:D

chico2
July 18th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Thank's for the timely info!
I usually do not buy the bags,but was going to,since I have people coming for dinner on Sunday.
So,definetly no more bagged lettuce!!

mastifflover
July 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I guess the tubs are okay because I am still fine and I am with Puppyluv I must have my baby spring mix and baby spinach.

technodoll
July 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM
if the salad is from a reputable source, fresh, looks clean, i have no fear. I would much rather avoid deli meats and supermarket fish and cheap pizza, specially on hot summer days! everything in the food chain is tainted with something or other and unless you grow your own, you never can be 100% sure it's clean stuff. however, i won't be paranoid about eating salads and such, but i will be careful. :)

Golden Girls
July 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
No, E coli is usually dead at 75 degrees celsius, no?:Dnot dead enough for me ... I was thinking more on the line of a Kiln Oven - 400 Celsius, slowly cooked for about an hour << if one is paranoid I mean :D

On a serious note you just have to carefully wash your lettuce with clean hands, always keep it refridgerated, keep vegetables and raw meat separate and be sure to check expiry date as e.coli can grown quickly in deteriorating greens. Not eating salads is just not an option - nothing beats them :)