Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

outdoor dog runs

dakar
July 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
We have just finished a backyard run for our 2 dogs aged 12 years and 11 months. We did a lot of research before we started and the run gives our dogs lots of room and shade. As well, they each have a dog house for shelter. As a rule they spend about 4 - 5 hours in their run each day but not all at one time. I'm home most of the day and enjoy their company in the house. But they also enjoy playing in the run and being outside when we're away. We have actually been surprised at how well they have adapted to having a yard of their own. My question is: Is there something we should add to our run to keep the dogs stimulated when they are in it for a couple of hours at a time? The pup has a couple of chew toys in there but I'm wondering if there are other, more permanent 'toys' that we could add to keep them happy. What do you think?

LibbyP
July 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM
If your dogs like water and you don't mind them alittle wet and dirty, then I would suggest a kiddie pool, with just enough water in it that they can play and cool off and you can dump at the end of the day, any type of kong(treat ball) that you can fill with goodies, ice water with treats frozen in it, just some suggestions:thumbs up

rainbow
July 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I agree with LibbyP's suggestions....I use them all even when I'm outside with my dogs.

dakar
July 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Love the pool idea! I do already do the kong thing and the dogs love it. I'm definitely going to get them a pool! Thanks!

jessi76
July 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I restrict the kong (and other treat filled toys) as indoor only toys. Reason being is, if I fill them w/ food, and they go outside, my dog will get distracted by a chipmunk or squirrel, forget about the kong, and before you know it, the whole thing is filled w/ ants. Obviously, if it works for you, great, but I found more often than not, I ended up w/ a kong full of ants/bugs.

In my dog's fenced area we have a kiddie pool, a heavy duty rope w/ a big knot at the end tied to a tree branch, a doggy tent, a sprinkler (which I put on very low, and put inside his pool - this fills the pool slowly and is fun for him to catch the stream of water. obviously, the sprinkler play is supervised)

I also have a hula-hoop which is afixed to a block of wood. aka: agility hoop.

dakar
July 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Well, I've had my laugh for the day. I know my mutt got her looks from her poodle side, her hearding instincts from her border collie side and her silliness from her lab side but somehow she lost out on the love of water side from everyone! I put the sprinkler in the run today. On really low so it just sprinkled the ground rather than raining on the dogs. Then I went in and excitedly tried to play with them in it so they would understand it was a 'toy'. Even tried to do the fetch thing (which she loves) through it. Watching her plaster herself against the side of the run and inch past the sprinkler was hilarious! So I thought maybe if I just left and let them get used to the idea of it being there, she would explore it on her own and realize it is fun! So far the 'exploring' consists of curling up as far away from the sprinkler as she can and staring at it in case it comes any closer! LOL!! I'm still going to try the kiddie pool (as soon as I can find one - so far no luck). Maybe if the water doesn't move she'll be happier.

LibbyP
July 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM
What a funny girl I'm quite sure she thought you were :crazy: to try and trick her into having some wet fun;) My dogs won't go near the sprinkler not if it was the last drop of water on the earth, my big girl has a hard time drinking out of a strange bowl when were out and about :crazy: girls