Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

portable air conditioner ?

technodoll
July 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM
we are considering purchasing one to cool down our living room/ dining room, as we cannot install a window unit. the space is about 350 sqf. does anyone have any recommendations for brand and btu? good or bad experiences with installing & running? they are soooo expensive, perhaps looking for a 2nd hand unit, where should i look? i am in montreal :)

mastifflover
July 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM
future shop has the freestanding ones around 450 I would go for 8000 btus. I am looking at one for my place and they suggested the 10 12000 btus and my place is about 600 sq ft no window for ac either. They work pretty well and they are dehumidifiers as well so two appliances in one some also have a fan too.

rainbow
July 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Do you know the brand name of the one from Future Shop? Are these the kind that have a long hose that needs to be vented to outside?

cpietra16
July 17th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I got both of mine in second hand. They work great. If you want a new one, You can look at Canadain Tire, Costco has cheap ones too, Zellers, lablaws, Home Depot... They all have sales right now. If you ask your friends, its amazing how many people know of people trying to get rid of their air conditioners

PetFriendly
July 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I have one, its a maytag, 8000 BTU, 3 in 1 that evaporates the water instead of having drip pan that you'd have to empty. It has a cool, dry, and heat setting and will also just blow in air from outside.

It does a great job of cooling my livingroom and kitchen, probably 300 square feet. It has dryer like tubing to connect to the window. Connects easily to our slide windows, but I'm not sure how you'd connect it to casement windows.

My only complaint, is that its rather noisy.

I bought it used for $250

Prin
July 17th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I'd wait till winter, if you can stand it. They boost the prices like mad in July and August.

Looking at consumer reports (they don't have portable ones, but you get an idea of brand quality anyway), the GE, Frigidaire, LG and Kenmore ones seem to score the highest, but the Frigidaire models are all considered "best buys" (best value).

We have a 10,500 btu Danby (cheap brand) that cools our entire house (about 800sqft) really well. So maybe a 6000 would be enough? From the experiences of people I know, they're not as powerful as the window ones, so you might have to get a bigger one than you really need.