Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raspberries and Xylitol!

raingirl
July 17th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Just a urgent FYI (being it's raspberry season). The sweatener, Xylitol, which is very toxic to dogs, is derived from Raspberries! So be careful people, don't feed raspberries to your dogs! (Xylitol is in mints, low fat yogurts, and other foods, so be careful!)

SnowDancer
July 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Xylitol is in many, many foods and health and beauty aids - always best to check ingredients list.

mastifflover
July 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the warning did not know about raspberries. Good thing I do not buy anything low fat, even Buds yogurt

raingirl
July 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I thought xylitol was a synthetic chemical, so I didn't think it would in natural foods!

Aparently it comes from birch, plum, raspberries, and corn. Hmmm...

Angies Man
August 13th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Sorry, and as politely as possible, I must say that this is CRAP.

The amount of any precursor to xylitol would be minute if undetectible. On the other hand, berries, plums, peaches, apples, and on and on are good sources of natural, clean fiber (your dog needs fiber, btw) vitamin C (your dog need this too), and antioxidants.

I used to live on a farm where we had puppies, strawberries, raspberries, plums, apricots, peaches, cherries, apples, plus the stuff we grew annually in the garden. The pups and their mom as well as the other dogs on the farm would glean the wind drops from the trees and eat the low growing berries. They ate a lot of fruit! Very nice loose poops! In addition they would get some of the cows (pastuerized) milk, eggs from the chickens, raw offal from the butchered hens, lambs, and calves, and their inexpensive dogfood. The dogs would occasionally help them selves to the stock feed (mostly rolled oats, barley, and white wheat.) I choose to think that the dogs liked all these things because they instictively craved them as part of a healty diet.

There are lots of things that may have contributed to their risks to health or injury and death--a few raspberries in summer are the most trivial of these risks.

Living in the burbs, I don't share my berries with my dog mostly because they're too danged expensive!

Prin
August 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but anecdotal evidence is not absolute.. I mean how many people have fed their dogs grapes without any side effects? But there is no doubt that grapes still cause kidney failure. It's just better to be safe than sorry. If you can prevent your dog from eating things on the list of foods that are trouble for dogs, why not?

Melinda
August 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I was worried when I read this because one of the treats for my dog who has allergies contains raspberries, so I looked it up, then called my vet.

►Natural
Xylitol is right here, inside, already. Our bodies produce up to 15 grams of xylitol from other food sources using established energy pathways. Xylitol is not a strange or artificial substance, but a normal part of everyday metabolism.
Xylitol is widely distributed throughout nature in small amounts. Some of the best sources are fruits, berries, mushrooms lettuce, hardwoods, and corn cobs. One cup of raspberries contains less than one gram of xylitol.
Sweetener xylitol can be toxic to dogs
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' Animal Poison Control Center is warning veterinarians, their staff, and pet owners that the xylitol—a sweetener found in some sugar-free chewing gums, candies, and other products can cause serious—possibly life-threatening problems for dogs.
------------------------------------------------------------

Dogs ingesting large amounts of products sweetened with xylitol may have a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting depression, loss of coordination, and seizures, according to Dr. Eric K. Dunayer, a consulting veterinarian in clinical toxicology for the poison control center. The center is most concerned about products in which xylitol is the primary ingredient

When I called my vet he said in order for the little bit thats in raspberries to have any effect whatsoever on my dog, she'd have to eat about 20 pounds a day for a couple weeks ! *L* he said there is such a little amount in berries that there is no way it would hurt them, in lab rats when injected with it straight, they had a bit of diarhea but that was it and it cleared up in a day. So I feel better about it all now. All my dogs have stolen berries from the bushes in our yard for years.

Angies Man
August 16th, 2006, 12:16 AM
[B]When I called my vet he said in order for the little bit thats in raspberries to have any effect whatsoever on my dog, she'd have to eat about 20 pounds a day for a couple weeks ! *L* he said there is such a little amount in berries that there is no way it would hurt them, in lab rats when injected with it straight, they had a bit of diarhea but that was it and it cleared up in a day. So I feel better about it all now. All my dogs have stolen berries from the bushes in our yard for years.

Yeah, and if I could eat 20 lb of raspberries, I'd probably have a bit of diahrea too. (as much as I love raspberries, I think this would be beyond even my gluttonish propensities.) :yuck:

Angies Man
August 16th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah, but anecdotal evidence is not absolute.. I mean how many people have fed their dogs grapes without any side effects? But there is no doubt that grapes still cause kidney failure. It's just better to be safe than sorry. If you can prevent your dog from eating things on the list of foods that are trouble for dogs, why not?

Absolutely! But we can go a bit overboard in avoiding risks, no matter how trivial they might be. We need to use a little common sense here, tho. A few berries, a couple of grapes, an occasional corn chip or a little leftover white rice aren't going to hurt a dog.

Dog Dancer
August 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Raingirl, it never hurts to be cautious that's for sure.

I remember several years ago I was out picking raspberries and my dog was with me. I couldn't figure that my bucket wasn't filling up very fast until I turned and saw that while I was picking the berries my old dog :rip: was chowing down on the berries in the bucket! She could at least have just eaten the ones on the ground....