Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP!!! Need home remedies for cat urine smell

leepsun
July 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Hello Readers,

My sister has a problem with her 18 year old male fixed cat ROCKY. I mentioned that I recently join this forum and she asked me if I could ask you all for home remedy reciepes to neutralize the smell of cat urine. ROCKY has kept it localized to one room in the basement even though his litter box is only 10 feet away from this room. He just started doing this about a week ago, he does go outside. But back to the main issue, HOW TO GET RID OF THE SMELL !!!
PLEASE if anyone has any home remedies (she will not use any store products due to her daughter being allegic to almost every cleaning product)
She said she tried baking soda and water (ratio unknown) and it didn't work.
She will also be using a black light to find all the spots.
She also made an appointment with his vet to rule out any urinary infections.
She is pretty sure it has to do with the fact that they have been doggie sitting . But still the smell has to come out !!!
Thank you so much in advance !!!
LEEPSUN

jessi76
July 17th, 2006, 09:21 AM
If possible, I'd use a product designed for pet urine, and keep the daughter away from the area. Since this is in the basement, perhaps your sister can keep her daughter upstairs until the smell has been taken care of, and the product has worn away. Or maybe she can spend a weekend at a friend or relative's house while the cleaners are being used.

Some products on the market are Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, Urine off, etc... It's really best to use one of these as they are enzymatic cleaners - and will neutralize the urine.

I understand why your sister wants a home remedy, but I really think a cleaning product will work best.

good luck!