Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scab/puss on dogs head

LeroysMommy
January 20th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Please help! My cocker spanial has what seems to be a scab on his head. it does not seam to hurt him when i touch or wash it. I have noticed he has been scratching his head up against the furniture. It is about the size of a quarter. I can not see any cuts and there is no blood mostly just hard what I thought may just be gum or matted hair but when I look closer it seems to be some kind of dried puss. It did break up the other day after I washed his head but when I check this evening it was back. Should I take him to the vet? Is this normal? Is there anything I can do for him without going to a vet?

Thank you!

Lucky Rescue
January 20th, 2004, 08:49 PM
No, pus filled scabs are not normal. It could be an abcess, or something worse. Any wounds or sores that do not heal need to be seen by a vet.

Luba
January 20th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Having a vet check wouldn't hurt it!

Carina
January 21st, 2004, 12:58 AM
Keep it open & draining by applying a warm wet cloth to it until he can be seen...if it's an abcess letting it crust over will make it worse. A little hydrogen peroxide won't hurt either. Things on the scalp don't hurt as much as on other parts of the body, so lack of pain response doesn't necessarily mean it's not pretty infected.

Does it smell bad? An abcess on the head can actually be quite serious (can be lethal) if it gets deep enough. I had a cat get one right above his eyes...I noticed a little scab one day, when I washed it & it broke open the smell permeated the room and was bad enough to make me gag! I took him right to the vet who drained it & informed me he may have died without intervention. Poor kitty was on heavy duty antibiotics for a week, and I had to keep the sore from scabbing over.

Luba
January 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Actually Carina I don't recommend draining it without a vet looking at it, simply because if it's infectious improper draining can spread the infection. If close to the eye or any other mucus membrane it can be extremely dangerous.

Please let your vet check on it!

Carina
January 21st, 2004, 12:53 PM
Excellent point Luba about not spreading the contamination!
But I do know that for the short term - just until LM gets her dog to the vet - preventing it from getting completely crusted over is preferable; because if there is a deep infection the underlying tissue can necrotize (die) which can quickly lead to deep abcess & get into the bone.
That's what I recall the vet saying anyhow. Pus is not a good thing in any respect, and if there's a rotten smell from the area that's definitely something that needs attention right away!

Luba
January 21st, 2004, 01:13 PM
Oh thats very true too Carina!

I hope she goes to the vet today.