Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog has red scabs on his belly

lightpinklily
July 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Last night I noticed a small sore on my dog's belly but didn't think much of it. Today I notice that he has 6 scabs (look similar to a cigarette burn) on his belly so obviously they have gotten worse. He does not seem bothered by them and my vet is not open until tomorrow morning so for now I put neosporin on the sores. I am keeping a close eye on him and the scabs and was just wondering if anyone knows what they could be?

He is a 2 year old Westie and I give him monthly flea treatments and heartworm preventative pills.
Photos are attached. Please let me know if you know what these might be from. Thanks!!

**** POST-VET UPDATE ****

thanks everyone for your input. i took him to the vet today. the vet said he has a bacterial skin infection, probably some type of staph. he said it is common when it is humid outside like it has been.

he put the dog on antibiotics twice a day and gave me medicated shampoo and said to bathe him with it once a week for about a month. he did say it is contagious to humans so i need to wash my hands a lot and so forth.

well just wanted to post the results of my vet visit in case anyone else has this problem and searches for what it might be :)

thanks again to everyone for their input!

bethaliz
July 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM
One of our dogs, Lana, is very allergetic to masqito and flea bite. The scabs look very similar to what Lana's look like. She gets an antibotic from the vet and she gets have of a benadryl. I'm not 100% sure what the scabs are from, on your dog, but at least two of them look infected. I'd call and make an appointment in the morning to go to the vet. They don't look bad enough to go to the emergancy. Although you can call the emgerancy in your area and ask what you can put on them until you take him to the vet. I would just keep them clean, stop him from scratching or licking them (or rubbing his tummy on the carpet.). I wouldn't put anything on them with out asking the vet first tho. I hope they improve.

rainbow
July 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I would wash off the neosporin that you applied and just keep the area clean and dry until you can take him to the vet in the morning. :pawprint:

lightpinklily
July 17th, 2006, 02:59 PM
thanks everyone for your input. i took him to the vet today. the vet said he has a bacterial skin infection, probably some type of staph. he said it is common when it is humid outside like it has been.

he put the dog on antibiotics twice a day and gave me medicated shampoo and said to bathe him with it once a week for about a month. he did say it is contagious to humans so i need to wash my hands a lot and so forth.

well just wanted to post the results of my vet visit in case anyone else has this problem and searches for what it might be :)

thanks again to everyone for their input!

buffityann
February 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM
whats the shampoo called my dog has the same problem where can i pick it up from or would he have to see a vet please help me thank u

diandpat
February 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
buffityann, this is a very old thread...from 2006.

If there is a rash on your pooch you should make an appt with your vet and get the proper diagnosis and prescriptions to put your dog out of its discomfort.

Welcome to the board, btw. Please post an update in a new thread.

Hope your pooch is feeling better soon.

lightpinklily
February 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM
BuffityAnn-

The shampoo is called ChlorhexiDerm. The active ingredient is 4% Chlorhexidine

Here's a link to the product:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+5+9642&pcatid=9642

It probably would be a good idea to see the vet though and get antibiotics for your dog too

Hope that helps!!