Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nostalgia - fav thibgs from childhood

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM
The thread on growing up in more innocent times led to wonder what was your fav item from the past? Like a fav toy or candy that may or may not be around now?

In my case, I liked Etch a Sketch and Spirograph and even lego, lol (I still have lego at the office for the kids of course, :) ) I loved Board games - Life, Careers, Monopoly (the original one), Scrabble, Green Ghost (anyone ever get that? You can buy retro toys online, lol)

And as for candy, that was Boston Baked Beans. And penny candy, lol

mastifflover
July 16th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Nu Grape Soda and Jets and Buried Treasue Ice Cream. I love penny candy mind you it is pretty hard to find candy I won't eat. I loved etch a sketch and spriograph and operation I still play scrabble

glasslass
July 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
My parents let me choose a toy while shopping in San Francisco's Chinatown. I got a red, wooden apple that twisted open and held a carved wooden tea set. Tiny cups and saucers and a teapot. Don't know what happened to it.
:( I loved my book - Black Beauty. I used to wrap my pink pop-beads around it and took it to bed with me, along with my stuffed monkey, Chico. Chico and I had matching nighties, thanks to my mom.

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Ohh, how could I forget fav books, lol I read every Nancy Drew book - still have them (I am SUCH a pack rat!) but I won a Kindness Club contest (animal welfare group) once and the prize was some money (I forget how much, lol) but better than $$ was the book The Incredible Journey - the one that eventually became Disney's Homeward Bound, two dogs and a Siamese. I love that book!!

mastifflover
July 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Do you remember the Dorothy Parker Series around the same time as Nancy Drew

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I recall Trixie Belden (before my time but I had read a few of her books) and I have my Donna Parker books - she had a friend named Ricki whose mother died (why do I recall that???) - also there were the Cherry Ames books (and I read a few of those).

I think the Nancy Drew and Donna Parker books still hold up today. I always wanted a blue roadster, lol

Puppyluv
July 16th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I was a child not too long ago, but my faves were: lite brite, magna-doodle, the smell of my little pony (didn't care much for the ponies themselves, but the smell... it still makes me smile :)), this ice cream that came in a box, it was black white and brown, and it had a picture of a panda, so instead of scooping it, you would slice it. SOOOOO good!!! Dippin stix, popeye cigarettes and nerds (when I was a little older) were my favorite candies.
Board games were a huge thing for me. From the age of 3 I was addicted to Clue. My mom recounts stories of her making dinner and me running up and yelling "I'm Cole Mustard who are you???" (Referring to the yellow piece, Col. Mustard-I didn't know that Col. was short for Colonel, and promounced, well, you know how, but not Cole :p) Apparantly I made this proclamation at least 5 times a day (I would not be any other player, and I won about 90% of the time even at that age)

mastifflover
July 16th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Oh you are right Donna not Dorothy I think she is an author. oops I remember the Trixie ones too

gomez
July 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Barbies, Barbie homes, Barbie cars, Barbe horses, Barbie dogs, etc...

And that thing that spun around and you squeezed paint in so that the outcome was a big colourful splatter, what was it called?

Lite Brite was amazing, Easy Bake Oven, and a board game that had something to do with weddings and brides - oh and Disneyland Tourist...

I grew up in Mexico, so maybe some of these things did not exists for others...

LM1313
July 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Books, My Little Ponies, these various plush dogs that I'd put teddy bears on and have them ride around as mounted policemen. :D Mostly books, though, I loved to read! I would read anything, but books by Dianna Wynne Jones were some of my favorites (has anyone seen Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle? I'm dying to get it on DVD), The Three Investigator books, and basically any humor, fantasy, or sci-fi.

The Incredible Journey - the one that eventually became Disney's Homeward Bound, two dogs and a Siamese. I love that book!!

I just read that!! I was surprised to find that the older dog was actually a bull terrier and the young one was a labrador!

~LM~

Frenchy
July 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I'm reading a book from my childhood right now (I'm out of books!) but it's in french,don't know if they translate these in english but it's from "Comtesse de Ségur" and this one is "Mémoire d'un ane" (life of a dunkey) I love these books.I also read the Nancy Drew,had the board game too.

gomez
July 16th, 2006, 06:18 PM
The Giving Tree...

catsnatcher-CDN
July 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM
My fav thing from childhood was rasberry picking up north

My fav books were: Victor Hugo and Encyclopedia Brown

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Oh never apologize for reading children's books. They are timeless!!! :) Plus, I love the Harry Potter books - I think children see them as adventures and adults see the sattirical commentary on society JK Rowling has to offer - or maybe that's just me, lol

Yep, Dorothy Parker is the famous writer. Tho don't ask me exactly what she wrote, <g> I think she was more journnlist than novelist but I could be wrong. I could look it up I suppose but I won't.

I liked almost every Board game - liked Clue too. I had a chemistry and biology set (lots of good stuff but I never blew anything up, somewhat amazingly, lol - even when a friend and I set off a fire cracker in my bedroom, NOT good, lol). My parents were quite gender neutral and bought us all boys' toys - like erecter sets, garages, and a farm with lots of plastic animals.

But we had so many great dolls - Barbie (of course!), Chatty Cathy, Betsey Wetsey (what a concept, lol), a "walking" doll - she alledgedly walked as you walked with her, Madame Alexander dolls (they were more showy than to play with). I also liked paper dolls. You can buy these too at the Dollar Store or WalMart but they are not near the quality of the ones we had - or at least quite different (fewer assortment of clothes, lol) Granted, the best ones are at Dover.com and they have the kewlest colouring books - which I buy for the office (suuuuuuure, lol). Check them out, lol Colour hospital images, birds, celtic images, etc, etc.
Some examples:
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486415589.html
http://store.doverpublications.com/048640370x.html
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486201805.html
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486285898.html
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486430332.html

Then there was slinky, PlayDoh, a "superball" I lost in Maine, Silly Putty, ViewMaster and with the exception of VM, all can now be bought at a Dollar Store and unlike the original silver slinky, come in various colours, lol (I never had a Mister Potato Head tho did own an EZ Bake Oven.) I saw someone the other day come out of WalMart with what I thought was a hulahoop (but it could have been something else, lol).

I was always a gadget junkie and one of my fav gifts was a "transister radio" showing my age here, lol that was tiny and I could listen to it under my pillow or with those old fashioned ear things. (small, uncomfortable) or sneak it to school to listen to baseball games (post season).

I think the worst toy I ever had were those dreadful clackers - one could knock someone out with them, lol

As much as we loved board games, we once became so bored with Monopoly, we added to it and developed our own game. Here is a site about <a href="http://www.spookshows.com/toys/green/ghost.htm"]Green Ghost </A>]
We also had Mousetrap and Hands Down but they are not really classics in my book.

technodoll
July 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
too many to write, but remember eating fresh rhubarb from the garden, had a little sugar in a bowl to dip it in... mmm.... dad mercilessly getting us with the ice-cold garden hose on hot summer days (we screamed but ran back for more!), fishing and loving to hook those big juicy earthworms we hoed from the earth ourselves (i know, totally gross! but at 7 yo, it's fun!)... those little popsicle thingies mom made from juice on the plastic sticks... and that 's just the summer stuff :D

papillonmama
July 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
When I was little I had this kind of art set, you put this special clay into the moulds and they dried and you could paint them, I know it's stupid 'cause i don't particularly miss the set, but the smell of the clay. For some reason it gives me fond memories, I must have been eating it or something, whatever the case, I love that smell, I haven't smelled it in years, but think of it sometimes.

When I was about five my dad sewed me a strawberry shortcake outfit, I loved spending time with him while he was making it, the dress was nice too.

I know it sounds weird, again, but I miss how dark it was. I grew up really far up north and when I went to bed, it was DARK, I couldn't sleep with light, it scared me, lol, but I really miss the dark, and the stars, and when it would snow the first time of the winter, well, fall really, my sister and I would dance outside.

Oh yeah, and I loved my glo-worm, even though it sometimes scared me, I still miss it. My dad even kept my my-little pony, it would have been worth something if I hadn't loved it sooo much. And how can I be nostalgic without adding my care-bear, I had a funshine bear, but I called it something else, can't recall, but I loved that thing right into the ground.:D

Edit to add: I also used to go fishing, with my nephew, we would fish all day and come back with our catch and have a big fish fry.

jesse's mommy
July 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I was a tomboy so I miss my Big Wheel!

technodoll
July 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM
oh i forgot the BEST thing... first day of school, when you got to sharpen all your pencils, you had a new box of Crayolas, fresh new notebooks, the smell of chalk on the board... i loved the smell of school! :p

catsnatcher-CDN
July 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Ya, I remember I loved sharpening all my pencils the night before!

trippincherri
July 16th, 2006, 11:44 PM
The night before the first day of school, no matter what grade...was always intense. Mom making sure your name was on EVERYTHING you owned and yep sharpening pencils and crayons.
I still have my very first cabbage patch, glow worm and my entire barbie collection put away for safe keeping. I had numerous other toys. My little ponies and finger people ( remember those?) lego's, mini cars, tonka toys, play doh, you name it...I played with it lol.

Books I loved: Where The Red Fern Grows, The Wild Mustang, Brighty of The Grand Canyon, and The Little House on The Prairie books.
I remember making mud pies, and taking pails and spoons out to scoop up the ever so precious mud to make them...collecting various berries and moss and sticks to decorate them. I had my very own bakery in my back yard.

There were also soooo many great cartoons back then, whatever happened to those? Nowadays cartoons are ridiculous. I had to have my fix of carebears, inspector gadget, smurfs, and teddy ruxpin everyday...it was a ritual. I can still catch Inspector Gadget and Carebears on tv once in awhile...even though I'm 24 I still curl up on the couch with some cereal and watch them Saturday mornings lol.
Its good no to completley grow up...thats what keeps us young and smiley.

glasslass
July 17th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I remember making mud pies, and taking pails and spoons out to scoop up the ever so precious mud to make them...collecting various berries and moss and sticks to decorate them. I had my very own bakery in my back yard.

I decorated mine with Lantana. All those little tiny flowers making up each large flower. Lantana will always be my "Mudpie Bush".

jiorji
July 17th, 2006, 02:43 AM
well it's not an object...it's a place...my grandparents' garden/house

CyberKitten
July 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I LOVED the first day of school - I still sort of arrange my years around Sept - teaching as I do but med school has changed over the yrs and Residents usually start their "Residencies" in May so "my" year gets changed a little, lol

But I loved to buy school supplies. We used to go to Maine to buy stuff- to get different things - and it was so kewl, new clothes, new bookbags, crayons, scribblers, etc, etc My dad once made me a leather school bag and I loved the smell of it. My mom was an educator so our life pretty much revolved around school. I still sometimes have guilty pangs when I rush out to buy stuff in the middle of the day, lol (Like I am "jigging" school or something, lol)

I even have an original version of the Dick and Jane books.

LibbyP
July 17th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Oh to think back on those carefree days..... playing hide and go seek with all the neighbourhood kids at dark time, sleeping in the tent in the backyard, lite bright, books from when my mom was alittle girl(which I still have for my daughter - The Bobbsey Twins in the Country, Donna Parker on her Own, Swiss Family Robinson, Black Beauty, Little Woman etc) Barbies, board games, when I got older a game called Simon - which for those of you remember you could play with there sound effects or make up your own - I have brothers and you can just imagine what sound effects they came up with:eek: :yuck: my first movie at the theater was Superman and the first one I was able to go with friends E.T. candies, Hot tommalies, Soda pops, sweet tarts, cinnamon heart

Frenchy
July 18th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Charlotte's web!I never read the book but I used too watch the "movie" (cartoon) it played once a year.Always cried at the end.:sad: