Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advice on neutering problem

skeeve
July 16th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Hi I hope some one here can put my mind at rest. I had my male dog neutered last wednesday we live in france. We were told he had a haematoma and it need t drain so it would bleed for a couple of days, but it stopped bleeding later that night so we thought all was fine he was still quite swollen though. Yesterday the dog stood up and started to bleed dark red blood everywhere we phone the vet and took him there immediately. The vet took a look and said the haematoma hadnt evacuated and squeezed all of the excess blood out he then said that it would continue to bleed over the weekend and not to worry just do not let the dog lick the wound. To cut this long story short the dog is still bleeding not profusely just seeping but it more red coloured now than the dark brown it was. Is it normal for a dog to bleed like this after neutering or has something gone wrong that they havent told us about any info would be helpful as we are worried sick and if it gets worse like yesterday their ar no emmergancy vets for miles.

Thanks

Skeeve

Prin
July 16th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I have no idea- it doesn't sound normal at all (didn't happen to my dogs ever), but I can say if it was my dog, I'd be traumatized and calling the vet every ten minutes asking, "Are you sure?!":o

kaytris
July 16th, 2006, 11:30 PM
poor dog... did they not give you a plastic cone or some ointment to prevent your dog from licking the incision?

That doesn't sound normal at all, I would consider getting a second opinion as soon as possible.

badger
July 17th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I have never never heard of an animal being left to bleed. If it is just draining, there has to be an end to it. After three days, I'd been in there looking for answers. Or maybe consulting another vet. Since you are in an out-of-the-way place, I'd research one now, just in case.
How did the dog get the haematoma in the first place? Bad technique on the part of the vet?
I feel sorry for you and your dog. But you need better explanations and your dog needs relief.

OntarioGreys
July 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Sunny had quite a bit swelling after his neuter with bruising, but no external bleeding that is normal with some dogs, when there is bleeding especially this long something is wrong, my guess is possibly that your dog may have some kind of bleeding disorder like Von Willebrands , Thrombocytopenia etc

I would take him back to the vet, the vet can take some bloods and test the clotting time, it does not sound really like a severe type but possibly he may require a transfusion inorder for clotting to occur

skeeve
July 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi

I have had him back again today (3rd time) and he insists it perfectly normal it does seem to be slowing now he said it would be midweek before it stops totally. We had a plastic collar but his nose is too big and pokes out the end. The vet has given me a minerva collar and an antiseptic spray. I am sourcing a new vet as we speak just incase, but he has cared for all of my animals and until now I have never had cause for complaint he spayed my cat and did a excellent job thats why I entrusted him with the dog.

He still hasnt explained how the haematoma occured I will keep you posted on how we get on. The dog however is normal in every way eating well wanting to play with the cats etc but I have to keep him confined so I can watch his every move which is a bit of a nightmare for him and me as neither of us like blood.

I was also wondering if he has used the techniques used on horses as they have open wounds until they heal and the incisons are much the same.

mastifflover
July 17th, 2006, 11:18 AM
It does not sound right to me but if I were you I would have the dog see another vet. I would feel a lot better if 2 vets told me the same thing. But I think the bleeding has been going on too long

rainbow
July 17th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I also agree with everyone....get a second opinion. :pawprint:

Prin
July 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Nope, when the testes are removed, the incision is normally stitched up completely and closed. No draining, not like horses. This is definitely bizarre. The only things I've seen that require a drain are absesses and ear haematomas (when the ear flap swells up). Never because of a neutering. I'd keep up the search for the second opinion vet.

RVT092481
July 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
A hematoma is a collection of blood under the skin. Like if you've ever given blood or had blood taken from you, sometimes there's a bump where the blood seeps out of the vein but doesn't go into the syringe (we nick name it hema-tomato). Looks like a bumpy bruise.
You can have hematoma's at surgical sites but they shouldn't bleed that much and for that long (they shouldn't continue to bleed at all). If that was my surgery and there was a big hematoma, I'd bandage it (pressure on it causes the body to absorb/break it down faster). Usually they only need a bandage until the dog goes home though. I've never sent a routine surgery home with the incision site open and "draining" blood.
I agree that your dog may have a clotting disorder. I'd push to have clotting times done on him. It's a simple test that some vets do in house or you have to send to an outside lab. You can also do testing on some of the genetic disorders.
Either that or your vet nicked something he/she wasnt' supposed to and isn't telling you.
I'd get a second opinion ASAP. I wouldn't want your dog to loose too much blood and become anemic!