Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Vote in Memory of Pumkin

chocolatecoffee
July 15th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember my beautiful foster, Pumkin (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27405). She was found as a scared, neglected girl tied to a tire in Louisiana. A rescue I foster for flew her up here and and I was fortunate enough to foster her. In addition to an array of other health problem, she tested positive for heartworm, but we thought it was mild. However, further tested indicated that she was too far gone and the worms had actually travelled to many of her organs. In addition, a pin in her leg (which we can only assume was intended to fix a leg that had been broken in the past) was protruding and actually poking her. While this problem could have been fixed by surgery, she was not strong enough to undergo the anesthetic and we all felt it was inhumane to make her suffer any longer. Consequently, she was sent to the Bridge where she can run and play in perfect health on June 17th, 2006.

Even though Pumkin didn't make it, the cost to ship her up here and all of her tests were very expensive. In an attempt to try to raise some funds for the rescue who gave her the chance to experience love, I entered my three pups (Mocha, Panna, and Cannelle) in a Patriotic Pets Photo Contest (the grand prize is $500). However, they're not doing as well as I had hoped (we're 121 votes behind first place) which is why I need YOU (think Uncle Sam...it is a Patriotic Photo contest after all) to please take a minute to vote and send this to your friends and family. I would be eternally grateful to you. They ask you for your e-mail to verify the vote, however nobody else I know who has voted has received any junk mail at all so don't worry.

The picture's here (http://www.tlcpetfood.com/contest/patrioticpets) and it's the first picture in the forth row (Mocha, Panna, and Cannelle from Calgary, AB). Voting ends in a little under two weeks on Thursday, July 27th.

If you could please, please do this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks SO much!
-Daniela

P.S. You can vote more than once with different e-mails, if you feel so inclined... :p

R.I.P. my angel...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/tangowithmango/Pumkin/100_4123.jpg

*Post approved by ADMIN*

joeysmama
July 15th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I voted ! Now I've got to go vote on hubby's e-mail address and the kids addresses and the business address !

I hope you win !!!!!

LibbyP
July 15th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I voted and sent to all my friends - good luck:fingerscr

chocolatecoffee
July 15th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Thank you SO much for taking the time to do that joeysmama and LibbyP. I really appreciate it!

We're at 153 now!!! :D Getting closer!

Thanks again!!!

chico2
July 15th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Sorry about little Pumkin,I do remember her:sad: Good Luck with the contest:fingerscr

Swanky_Kitten
July 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I knew there was a reason why i have about 10 email accounts lol

mastifflover
July 15th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Well I voted twice I closed all my other email accounts

chocolatecoffee
July 15th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks a million chico2, Swanky_Kitten, and mastifflover!!!

We're at 173 votes right now, only 95 votes behind first place. We can definitely do this!!! PLease, please, please vote everybody, and to those who have voted (those who have posted and those who didn't), thank you SO MUCH! I really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!!!!! :highfive:

Golden Girls
July 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
What a wonderful gesture ... I voted a few times and passed it along :fingerscr So sorry to hear about little Pumkin RIP

joeysmama
July 15th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Alright, I'm really into this now. I was just coming on again so I could vote from my other accounts and I thought about my daughter bidding for an item on line the other night. She was reluctant to raise the bid too early. If we all vote really early won't that alert the current first place to start a push to "get out the votes"

Maybe we should wait until a few days before and then have a surge of votes !!

I'm sure other people know this stuff better than I do but I'm really competitive and want you to win this !!

Let me know. I have 4 other accounts between our business, personal and the kids. They'll all be voting !

glasslass
July 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I voted too! I'll vote tomorrow again from my work email

Frenchy
July 16th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I just voted twice,your at 226 :fingerscr anything for a rescue dog!Thanks for doing this!:thumbs up Hope we,oups,hope you win!

Mishkamax
July 16th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Your on 229 now .......... best of luck ......... your deserve it!!

Best Regards, Ramona

mastifflover
July 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I tried to vote again but it logs your email and will not let you.

chocolatecoffee
July 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
THANKS SO MUCH Golden Girls, joeysmama (again :D for multiple e-mail addresses), glasslass, Frenchy, Mishkamax, and mastifflover (for trying again) for ALL of your votes with all of your e-mails :D.

Yeah, unlike most contests, you can unfortunately only vote once (not once per day) with each valid e-mail address, but thanks SO much for taking the time to try again :D.

Alright, I'm really into this now. I was just coming on again so I could vote from my other accounts and I thought about my daughter bidding for an item on line the other night. She was reluctant to raise the bid too early. If we all vote really early won't that alert the current first place to start a push to "get out the votes"

Maybe we should wait until a few days before and then have a surge of votes !!

I'm sure other people know this stuff better than I do but I'm really competitive and want you to win this !!

Let me know. I have 4 other accounts between our business, personal and the kids. They'll all be voting !
Thank you for putting so much thought into this! I'm really worried about that. I think that with how things look now, I have a pretty good shot at winning, but I'm sure that there's going to be a HUGE jump in votes right before the contest closes. I mean after all, it's $500. I think that's what Meeko (second place) is planning to do as he was really competitive, then he kind of plateaued. If that happens, I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep up. The current first place, Bentley, is at 273 (9 votes more than yesterday at this time) and I just hit 240. Like I said, 33 votes is nothing right now, but if there's a surge, I think there's going to be problems. I'm hoping that there's going to a jump tomorrow because I e-mailed it out to the rescue's e-mail on Friday and I know that they're just swamped this weekend. Initially I was hoping to surprise them, but I'm sure they could get me quite a few votes that I desperately need.

Anyways, like I said, we're in third with 240 right now (THANKS A MILLION TO EVERYONE THAT VOTED, that's absolutely incredible), second place (Meeko) has 256, then Bentley (first place) has 273.

Thank you so much everybody!!! We can do this!

glasslass
July 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hummmm - :thumbs up my mom's email address is still valid and I can access it. My hubby's email and his work email will work, and then there're my co-workers! We just need to get creative here!:rolleyes:

Frenchy
July 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM
And don't forget,there is less of us here on the week end,tomorrow is monday so more people can see your post and vote!:thumbs up

rainbow
July 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Just voted with three different email addresses. Good Luck!!! :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
July 16th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I voted three times, but an easy thing you can do -- just keep opening hotmail accounts and vote from them. Good Luck. :thumbs up

glasslass
July 16th, 2006, 11:22 PM
bump bump bump

We gotta keep this thread on page 1!:cool:

chocolatecoffee
July 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM
WE'RE IN FIRST PLACE!!!

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who voted, including the recent jesse's mommy and rainbow. Thank you! Also, a big thank to all those voting with everyone's e-mail :D.

We're in first place with 286 votes. Meeko is close behind with 282 and Bentley has 276. There's a lot of time left and a lot can happen, but we can definitely do this! I can't believe we got here so quickly! Thank you so much to everyone who voted!!!

And don't forget,there is less of us here on the week end,tomorrow is monday so more people can see your post and vote!
I certainly hope that's the case!!!

I voted three times, but an easy thing you can do -- just keep opening hotmail accounts and vote from them. Good Luck.
Thanks for voting all of those times! I'm worried that there might be a way to check the IP address that made the e-mail, so I'm a little hesitant to do that. Plus, it doesn't seem like we have to right now. The rules ony say one vote per valid e-mail address, not one vote per person with a valid e-mail address though, so I'm wondering if that's what the other contestants are doing.

bump bump bump

We gotta keep this thread on page 1!
I feel like a broken record, but THANK YOU! I really appreciate all of you putting so much time into this!

Please keep voting everyone! I really, really think that we can do this!

Prin
July 17th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I just added 3 for a total of 289... (umm.. my man voted to.;))

you look like you're in the lead :fingerscr:

paula383
July 17th, 2006, 06:42 AM
you up to 306 im running out of email addresses, ill have to find some more :D

happycats
July 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM
4 more votes! (my son, hubby, me, and from work, I will have to confirm 3 when I get home tonight)

Good Luck!!! :)

LibbyP
July 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
YOU'VE MOVED INTO FIRST YA HOO FOR YOU, lets keep it going:fingerscr

glasslass
July 17th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Voted from my work email!

chocolatecoffee
July 17th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks Prin, paula383, happycats and glasslass!!!

YOU'VE MOVED INTO FIRST YA HOO FOR YOU, lets keep it going :fingerscr
Yep!!! We're doing GREAT right now!!! We have 362 VOTES, second place has 304 and third place has 288. We're doing INCREDIBLE, winning by over 50 votes! There's still a week and a half left and a lot can happen in that time so I'm not getting too confident, but I have to say that I have good feelings about this!

Thank you so much everybody who has voted (whether you posted or not) and to everybody who's following this! We're getting so close!!! :D

:highfive:

Prin
July 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I hope you win. C'mon everybody! Vote early and vote often...:D

Smiley14
July 17th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Oh, what a beautiful baby! I am so sorry to hear she couldn't be saved, but at least she is not in pain anymore. And just think how much love she received in her final days because of you and your hard work! Thanks for sharing her story with us!
I've got 11 email accounts between work and home (crazy, I know!) so I'll start voting on each one! Good luck!!!

Steph

Smiley14
July 17th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Ok, I voted! You're at 397 now! Yay! :) Keep us up to date. I've got co-workers and family members I can ask to vote as well. :) Good luck!!

chocolatecoffee
July 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I hope you win. C'mon everybody! Vote early and vote often...
Thanks :D. We're in the lead by 96 votes now, it's unbelievable!

Smiley14, thank you so much for all eleven of your votes AND for sending it, you're incredible!

Again, thank you so much everyone!!! We're doing so well!

HunterXHunter
July 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM
You just got my vote!

You're taking a commanding 150+ vote lead!

mastifflover
July 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
You are doing great. Remeber to bump it up as the contest end draws near. I have a few more e mail addys to use but lets save them for a final push

chico2
July 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I have no more e-mail addresses,but bump,bump!!

Mahealani770
July 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM
My partner and I voted!!! You're WELL over 500 now...good luck!

chocolatecoffee
July 21st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks HunterXHunter, mastifflover, chico2 and Mahealani770.

We just hit 550 which gave us a 202 vote lead. Can you believe it? We're in the lead by over 200 votes!!! Second place has 348 and third place has 301.

There's less than a week left in the contest now as it ends on Thursday. Second and third really aren't moving much at all so I'm really worried that they're trying to gather up votes (or new e-mail addresses) to vote with at the very end, but only time will tell!

Remeber to bump it up as the contest end draws near. I have a few more e mail addys to use but lets save them for a final push
Will do! Thank you!!!

Let's keep going! Thank you everyone!!!

Smiley14
July 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
That's awesome news!!! Thanks for the update!! :)

Steph

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 07:00 PM
Awesome! :fingerscr :fingerscr

rainbow
July 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Super news. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
July 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Tomorrow is the last day! C'mon people! Vote more!:highfive:

We're only 249 votes ahead! lol

jesse's mommy
July 26th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I just added four more. I used my honey's email. :evil:

chocolatecoffee
July 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Thank you everyone who responded and voted: Smiley14, Prin, rainbow, and jesse's mommy!

Tomorrow is the last day! C'mon people! Vote more! :highfive:

We're only 249 votes ahead! lol
Yes! That's the way to think!!! :D

Okay, it's the LAST day of the competition, only 13 more hours. We currently have a 252 vote lead. To everyone who hasn't voted yet, please vote :D. And to those who have, THANK YOU!

We're so close!!!!!

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 10:57 AM
We're 258 ahead now.;)

chocolatecoffee
July 27th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Four minutes left!!!

We have 709 votes, second place has 416 votes and third place has 315 votes.

Three minutes!

chocolatecoffee
July 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Okay...so they announced the winners a little early.

We won!!! We did it!!!

Thank you so much everybody! I appreciate it so much!

Can you believe it??? We won!!!

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
YA HOO :highfive: way to go I'm so happy for you good job:thumbs up

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
:highfive:

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Congratulations !!! :thumbs up :cloud9: :highfive:

Prin
July 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
btw, that rescue is lucky they adopted to you.:) Even if we didn't know you though, your pooches were definitely the most patriotic.:)

Golden Girls
July 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/wow/2.gif That's awesome :thumbs up

Smiley14
July 28th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Awesome news!!!! Way to go!!!:thumbs up

glasslass
July 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Here's to everybody! http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/10.gif

chocolatecoffee
July 29th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Thank you LibbyP, Prin, rainbow, Golden Girls, Smiley14, and glasslass!!!!!!

btw, that rescue is lucky they adopted to you. Even if we didn't know you though, your pooches were definitely the most patriotic.
Thank you very much :D. Just to clarify though, I didn't adopt Pumkin, she was my foster. We had picked an adoptive home out for her and everything, they would always come over to see her and go to all of her vet appointments. However, the rescue didn't want to officially adopt her out until she was finished with her treatment to ensure she survived. Unfortunately, she was too sick to even start her treatment :( :rip:. However, it was through this rescue that I got in touch with the rescue that I adopted Cannelle (the middle pup with the t-shirt), so I'm forever grateful to them for having this little fuzzbutt in my life :D.

Mocha, Panna, and Cannelle would just like to say...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/tangowithmango/Mocha%20Panna%20and%20Cannelle/thankyou.jpg
to ALL of you!!! (I would too!)

Again, thank you SO much everyone; the rescue and I appreciate it more than you can imagine! I'll let you know when they get in touch with me :D.

THANK YOU!!!

rainbow
July 29th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Chocolatecoffee, you and your precious babies definitely deserved it. :thumbs up :highfive:

Maya
July 29th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Your picture was for a good cause but it was also my favorite out of the competition :thumbs up :pawprint:

mastifflover
July 29th, 2006, 09:50 PM
That is great news I am so happy for you.

chocolatecoffee
August 19th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone :D.

Update! We just got the cheque on Tuesday and the $500 is the first donation into the Pumkin Fund! We're setting up a fund in memory of Pumkin which will be used for medical treatment of rescued dogs, including heartworm.

Our first idea is to make those charity bracelets. I'm not expecting a huge amount of donations through them, but rather publicity. Does anybody have any idea on what to put on them (colour, words, maybe a pawprint?)? We're not 100% sure of the name "Pumkin Fund" yet, maybe we'll have a word other than "fund"? We're not sure whether to spell it "Pumkin" or "Pumpkin" either...Pumkin was her name, and it's different, so I'm leaning towards Pumkin :confused:.

In case anybody wants reassurance that I did donate the money, the rescue that Pumkin was from put it on their website (www.fureverafter.org) (it's at about the middle of the page).

Again, thank you so much everyone!!! You guys are the best!

chico2
August 19th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I looked at the rescue-site at all the beautiful cats and dogs needing homes:sad: It seems like a wonderful rescue:cat: :dog:

badger
August 19th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Suggestions for your bracelet : (Animal) Rescue Rocks or For the Animals or The Pumkin Foundation.

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM
ooo "Support Rescue Bills, Not Puppy Mills...":D

chocolatecoffee
August 21st, 2006, 06:23 PM
I love all of the sayings!

"Support Rescue Bills, Not Puppy Mills..."
Haha, that's great!

I looked at the rescue-site at all the beautiful cats and dogs needing homes :sad: It seems like a wonderful rescue :cat: :dog:
They really are, the work they do is amazing. They rescue their dogs from high-kill shelters in the States and adopt them out here, Pumkin came from Louisiana.

What do you guys think of the name "Pumkin's Promise" then the slogan "Save, Heal, Love" as that was our promise to Pumkin? We ordered bracelets today (five hundred :eek:) that have a heart (symbolizing love, heartworm, and just the general ethical treatment of animals), then "Pumkin's Promise", then a pawprint (symbolizing Pumkin leaving her pawprint on the world). Then there's "SAVE, HEAL, LOVE" and the rescue's website on the inside. They're a swirl of orange, light orange, and white and I'm going to include a little sheet with Pumkin's story. I really wanted to have "Prevent Heartworm", but we have practically zero incidence of heartworm here in Calgary so at least the sheet included with the wristband will raise awareness. The rescue already had a picnic planned on the 9th so we're going to sell them there, then we're having a garage sale on the 10th where we'll also sell them.

Somebody had a great idea to tie Pumkin in with Halloween, so I'm hoping to maybe plan a Halloween event. I'm thinking of a human/dog costume party with an optional costume contest with various prizes such as most original, best coordinated between guardian/dog, etc. I'm not sure how well that'll work though. Then I thought we could maybe have carved pumpkins for decorations and auction them off at the end of the night, but who knows.

THEN we decided to plan a Christmas crafts auction and maybe Christmas cards with Pumkin's story on them. The idea with the Christmas cards is that they will hopefully be sent to areas that are affected with heartworm and will raise awareness in those areas. Of course, these ideas were just thought up yesterday so I'm not sure how realistic they are.

Any suggestions or opinions? There's so much to do, I think I might be forgetting about how realistic these things are...

A smile from Pumkin to all who helped, thank you! (Pumkin's would-have-been adoptive mom sent this to me yesterday, isn't she gorgeous?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/tangowithmango/Pumkin/161_6184.jpg

Frenchy
August 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM
She was a cutie!I don't have ideas for you,you have plenty good ones.It's sound like a lot of work,I hope everything works out.:thumbs up

rainbow
August 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM
I second that.....she certainly was cute. :angel: :rip:

I love the name "Pumkin's Promise". :love: