Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone from NS who feeds Raw?

Scott_B
July 15th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Looking to see if anyone has any lines on duck or rabbit products. I'm trying to find new sources of bone as I have to eliminate Chicken, turkey, & lamb from my pups diet. So far hes getting Beef tail & neck as his main bone sources. I get can the ground duck from the pet store but its expensive as hell. Oh and I have some meaty pork bones as well for him from the pet store, but again, $$$$$$$$.

Looking for suggestions.

CyberKitten
July 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I hope you mean products to feed rabbits!! (I am still mouring my bunny and there are many here who have rabbits as pets.) The thought of feeding rabbit to any pet makes me ill. (Literally) Ugh!!!!

Tho, in the event you are really an animal lover, I have to say that rabbits are not carnivores - they will not eat meat!! I once had a bit of egg white on my finger and my bunny was not too pleased with me or it, he ran under a table, lol Feed your bunny lots of good nutritional rabbit food and the occasional snack like bananas or even clover once in a blue oon. Mine loved Lucky Charms cereal - and chips - but he only got them occasioally. He lived a long life (for a bunny) so I don't think the little sugar hurt him. Still, bunnies love sugar way too much for their own good, kind of like us humans, lol

Puppyluv
July 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I don't think so CK! Layla eats rabbit, as do I. I know there's the whole pet-connection issue, but it's a realy great protein source.

CyberKitten
July 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
OMG, really!! How can you do that? I mean, I am not a vegan or anything like that but once you have loved a rabbit, I do get literally ill (as in quite phsyically nauseated hearing this stuff)

CyberKitten
July 15th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Rabbits are intelligent, wonderful animals and companions, not food. Then again, I do eat lobster and I know someone (who lives in NM) who has a lobster as a pet. But I am in the Maritimes so there is a cultural difference.

Puppyluv
July 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Many animals are intelligent.. people still eat them.
I won't eat lobster even though I love the taste. They mate for life and when you kill one, you have killed it's partner's chances of further reproduction.

CyberKitten
July 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I hve to admit I love lobster (but am not keen on the PETA debate over freeing lobsters) but do not eat them all that often, lol I do understand the scientifics of lobster - there is a Lobster Univ for fishers here and a company operated by a friend of mine has seperate condos for lobsters sold to Whole Foods, the company that refuses to sell "live" lobsters and I think that is a good idea. He still has lobster boils tho.

I cannot discuss the issue of bunnies as food since it is too personal for me. I am too bonded with mine- even in death. (He has been dead a few yrs now). He was part of my family - tho I never ate rabbit before either. I have many bunnies on my woodlot and love to watch them romp. I can't imagine anyone deliberately eating them tho or feeding them to other pets that are carnivores. I do understand it happens. I just don't have to like it. <g>

OntarioGreys
July 15th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Check this link under Nova Scotia

http://lepusreg.tripod.com/NRS.html

If there is some kind of farm supply store there maybe you can post an ad
they may have ducks/rabbits that are too old to sell at market

OntarioGreys
July 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Rabbits are intelligent, wonderful animals and companions, not food. Then again, I do eat lobster and I know someone (who lives in NM) who has a lobster as a pet. But I am in the Maritimes so there is a cultural difference.

Rabbits have been bred and hunted for food for centuries, including in the Maritimes. I have ate rabbit and I have also had them as pets I do make the distinction between an animal who has been raised as a pet and those raised as food, so therefore would not be able to eat an animal I raised as a pet, or any other that was, but can eat a non pet rabbit as food. I know people who have had pet chickens, ducks, geese, cows, goats, crickets, skunks, raccoon, deer, frogs, toads, mice, rats, snakes, grasshoppers, bears, moose etc. My mom used to have a pet cow, that she used to ride, the cow would take her to school and then go home, it got to know when school was over and went back to pick her up from school. her parents were farmers, but even they accepted that her cow was no longer a food source. If I stopped eating everything that someone once had as a pet, I would be forced to become a vegetarian because any living creature could become a pet if you wanted it to be..

If a pack of wild rats/ mice found their way into your home , would you consider them pests or pets? what if you had a snake nest is your yard? or a spider climbing up you arm ? to someone else each of these types were kept as a pet.

meb999
July 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM
My mom used to have a pet cow, that she used to ride, the cow would take her to school and then go home, it got to know when school was over and went back to pick her up from school.

Really?? She rode the cow to school??!! Wow! That's amazing, that must have been one smart cow.

her parents were farmers, but even they accepted that her cow was no longer a food source.
I wish my grandfather had thought like your mom's parents. My dad used to treat some of the barn animals as pets...then he'd sit down to dinner and his dad would say 'So, that Ronald the Duck really makes a sweet meal!' or 'well, your pet goat gave quite a fight, but it's worth it...mmm...'

No pets (other than the hunting dogs -- which were kept chained in the backyard) were safe in their house! Of course, they weren't very rich, so my GF had to put food on the table to feed his 10 kids....

technodoll
July 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM
i could never, ever eat any animal that i had known when it was alive, nor feed it to my dogs, sorry :( that being said, i don't identify any of the meat for consumption as "a pet" (thank goodness) so that helps alot.

back to the OP's original question: since raw-fed dogs only need about 10-20% bone in their diet, you could feed ground raw mix a few meals per week, as it does include bone (ground bison, or horse, lamb, venison, etc). it's not cheap but if it's not fed at every meal, it could help.

Or feed eggs with shell, alternately save all the shells when you eat eggs, dry & pulverize in a coffee grinder and then mix 1 tsp of the shell powder per ground meat meal, to balance out the calcium- phosporous ratio. raw fish have edible bones, have you tried quails and cornish hens? pork ribs are very edible, specially the smaller ribs, you don't need a ton of bone to get the balance right. :)

mafiaprincess
July 15th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I eat rabbit quite happily. It's pretty delicious. I might have a problem eating any animal I had raised though, I'd have a connection. But in general it doesn't phase me. It's the same as eating beef, fish or venison in my home.

Scott_B
July 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys, even if ya kinda jacked my thread :evil:

I do feed fish, whole mackerel infact. I find he gets a bit moist with too much though, so i have to watch that.

10-20% seems alot lower then what I've read elsewhere. Isnt it like 60-70% raw meaty bones? I suppose they've changed this as well eh? This diet seems forever changing with whats right and such lol

I'll look for some pork ribs. Never thought about the egg shells. I just add a few eggs to his veggie mix, shells and all, and grind them up. But I'll start drying them out. Thanks.

Havent tried quails and cornish hens as I dont know where to find them. :angel:

Puppyluv
July 16th, 2006, 01:33 PM
60-70% bone??? good god, he'd be pooping solid white masses. Bone is around 10-20%. Some dogs can handle more, some less (Eg. my dog can only handle about 6-8%).

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Sorry bout the hijack Scott - I am afraid I have just competled a round of chemo and my digestive system may not be the best so reading about anyone anywhere (person or dog or any mammal) eating a bunny made me violently ill last night. I am still quesy today and prob should not have looked at this thread but maybe curiosity got the better of me.

With all due respect, telling me (and I know it was not meant in any mean way) that anyone feeds rabbit to their pet or eats it is like saying you fed your dog or cat to another animal. I loved my bunny very much and lost him quite taumatically - even if he was geritaric at the time. I am not really over it I guess and thus I could never eat any rabbit.

I do know ppl in the Maritimes have and occasionally do eat it tho it is not common here. In fact where I grew up in northern NB, rabbit was known as "Acadian Stew" (There is a recipe in the Laura Secord cookbook). However, most ppl have long abandonned the practice since they can afford chicken.

I did once see a rabbit skinned and for sale at a provigo in Quebec and never entered that store again. It did look in many ways like a skinned cat.

My grandparents had a farm (as many of you know, lol) and my grandmother named every animal. They did eat chickens but never the lambs (sheep) or the cows - they were for dairy. As a child, I talke to the cows and after having a cousin die of CJDvar (human ver of Mad Cow disease) - who was from Montreal - my cousin (not sure about the cow:crazy: ) - I have never touched beef nor would I give my cats raw beef. They do get raw chidken hearts on a rare occasion tho I do find that hard to find.

I eat chicken and fish and while I love bacon and have eaten it, have not eaten it much either. Pigs are also very smart animals and the way some farmers raise them makes me angry!! (I think it all had to do with the mass production of food). There are some new good books out on how to look for good food in your own back yard - as opposed to eating something trucked across the continent. (I do harken back tho to EF Schmacker's "Small is Beautiful") I am a child of the 70's, lol

So sorry for the hijack. I won't make any ethical judgements - we all have differenr value systems. I just know how it all makes me feel and I know I am still mouring my bunny and love the little rabbits (even if they have a shorter lifespan as outdoor buns) on my woodlot.

Scott_B
July 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM
60-70% bone??? good god, he'd be pooping solid white masses. Bone is around 10-20%. Some dogs can handle more, some less (Eg. my dog can only handle about 6-8%).

Sorry, its just what i've read so far.

This is one site i've done some reading on.

http://www.4loveofdog.com/menu.htm

Each day your dog should consume 2-3% of their body weight with growing puppies requiring up to 10%. For an adult dog, 2% is a good place to start and can be adjusted from there by watching for unwanted weight gain/loss. It may be a good idea to start high with a pup, and adjust downward as needed.

Here's an example using a 100 lb. dog being fed @ 2%:

100 X 16 = 1600 (total ounces)

1600 X .02 = 32 (ounces @ 2% body weight)

32 ounces is how much you would feed a 100 lb. dog per day if you are feeding @ 2% body weight. Now, of that 32 ounces, 60-80% (see side bar) needs to be raw meaty bones (RMB's) and the remainder of the 32 ounces being the meat grind mix (MGM). Divide this amount into the number of meals per day. Each meal does not need to be exact or even the same. You could feed all of the RMBs at one meal and the MGM at another meal. Whatever works best for your schedule as long as the percentages are correct for a days worth of meals.

Not saying its right or wrong, just saying i'm not crazy where i've read it lol. :D

Cyberkitty, I dont eat rabbit myself. Although I know people who do. My father has ducks, geese and turkeys. I have no problem eating turkey, although i've never tried duck.

I understand you lost your bunny, I'm sorry for your loss.

technodoll
July 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
as long as the RMBs themselves contain about 10-20% bone, it's all fine! as no animal in the wild is made up of 60% bone, and not all bone from a prey is consumed (meat & organs first, then edible bones), that is where the ideal balance of 10-20% comes from :)