Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinions on "Deli Fresh"?

EvilScience
July 15th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Hi all,

I just recently (~10 days ago) adopted a little 2 yr old terrier mix (we think Schnauzer+Jack Russell, maybe) from the Humane Society. While shopping for supplies, the guys at PetSmart reccomended Professor Connor's Deli Fresh as a wet food to go with the dry we are feeding. He's a fussy eater, and doesn't really go for the kibbles we've tried. Even mixing in a little meat, gravy etc, he'll only eat a few, and lick the rest!!

While we hunt around for a dry food he likes, what do you think of this Deli Fresh product, http://www.delifreshpet.com/. It seems ok to me, and he REALLY likes it, but I have little/no experience with this. Also, recommendations on good dry foods (preferably something I can get locally in downtown TO) or enticements? Thanks!

Prin
July 16th, 2006, 09:43 PM
They're not bad- a little ricey for a wet food though. And they have menadione sodium bisulfate complex in them (search the dog food forum for it and you'll find out what that means).

As for dry foods, I'd recommend Solid Gold's "Just a Wee bit" for your little dog. It's more dense than other foods so you'll feed even less.
Just a Wee bit (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=68&code=140)
But if you lurk around the dog food forum, there are a bunch of foods that keep getting recommended...

rainbow
July 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM
What brands of dry dog food have you tried? The one Prin recommended is a good one. Also, check out this food forum, as there are several other good ones without menadione sodium bisulfite complex in them.

EvilScience
July 18th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the info - I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum, and around the net. Lots of helpful stuff here. I'll try the Solid Gold (or other highly recommended food such as Timberwolf) as soon as I can get some. I suspect Hector had been fed table scraps previously, and while I'm happy to supplement with real food, would like him to primarily rely on eating a nutritionally complete dog food.

Previous dry foods tried were Blue Buffalo (wouldn't touch it), a second option which I do not recall at the moment, but wasn't anything highly reccomended around here (again, not interested), and currently the Science Diet Lamb and Rice (I know, I know....) He eventually eats some of the latter, and on two occasions actually cleaned out the bowl, but is still an underweight little dog who appears happier to not eat than to eat kibble most of the time. :sad: On the upside, he has lots of energy, and seems very healthy otherwise.