Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten not eating

mlblair
January 20th, 2004, 09:50 AM
I just adopted a 7 month Kitten from a local shelter. The shelter had the kitten spayed on Thurday and I picked her up on Friday. The Kitten has not eaten and is also sneezing alot. All she seems to do is sleep and I dont know if this is normal or not. Any suggestions would be helpful. It has now been 4 days

LavenderRott
January 20th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Most shelters require that you take the adopted pet to a vet within 72 hours. Have you been to one?

Cats from shelters often have upper respitory infections. These can escalate and become life threatening.

Pachiz
January 20th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Shelter cats also usually have parasites, has her poop been checked?

It may just be because she is uncomfortable from the operation, but you should have the sneezing check out.

Lucky Rescue
January 20th, 2004, 10:34 AM
NOT normal behavior - especially for a 7 month old kitten!

Sounds like she has rhinotracheitis, or an upper respiratory infection. This can be brought on by stress, such as a cat would experience in a shelter and is very common.

You need to take the cat to the vet for a checkup and antibiotics NOW.

Once she is healthy and secure, she may never have another episode.

mlblair
January 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM
The shelter had given her all her shots besides distemper and also had a lukemia and fecal test which came back negative. i just took her to the vet and he really didnt say much, said it may be a respitory infection and gave her a antibiotic shot, some oral antibiotic, some vitamins and something to put in her nose. He said that we have to force feed her, which looks difficult. Hopefully in a couple of days she will be back to herself.

LavenderRott
January 20th, 2004, 10:54 AM
You could try feeding her some tasty morsels. When I feed my dogs, I often fix a small dish for my kitten.

Try things like small pieces of chicken, a little bit of plain yogurt, a little bit of chicken liver. I can only imagine how boring and unappealing dry cat food is.

mlblair
January 20th, 2004, 11:10 AM
I have tried several foods to give her, dry, can and catsip, even treats. She doesnt want anything to do with any of it. I was thinking about trying to give her tuna fish.

Carina
January 20th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Well hopefully the antibiotics do the trick & she'll be feeling better shortly....tuna or canned mackerel or salmon should get her interest. If she continues to refuse food, you might want to give the vet a call back. There's some stuff you can give cats...very high protein paste you smear on their fur where they can lick it off. It's been ages since I've gotten it, so I can't remember whether it was prescription or from a store.

Feeding canned + dry is better for them anyhow, in the long run. You don't want to feed tuna on a regular basis though because it's high in mercury.

Hope she feels better soon!

Lucky Rescue
January 20th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Has she finished her course of antibiotics? If so, she should be feeling better.

Cats can become anorexic and this is very serious. Since her nose is stuffed up, she can't smell her food therefore is not interested.

Yes, try canned tuna and salmon, turkey babyfood - something very strong smelling to whet her appetite. If she won't eat on her own, mash up the salmon and put a small bit on the end of a wooden popsicle type stick.

Open her mouth and quickly smear the food on the ROOF of her mouth. She will have to swallow. Hopefully, that will get her started eating!

Please let us know how she doing!

mlblair
January 20th, 2004, 11:31 AM
thank you all for your replys, i have gotton alot of info!

badger
January 20th, 2004, 12:00 PM
You could also try syringe feeding - the vet has these - with the needle removed. Mix up some strong smelling canned food and water, fill the syringe and shoot it into her mouth. I did this once with a sick cat, several times a day, mainly because I was worried about dehyration. I'm sure your cat will be fine. Nobody feels like eating when they're sick!

mlblair
January 20th, 2004, 01:45 PM
The vet did give me the syringe and some food to force feed the kitten, seems pretty difficult but Im sure that I will manage. I just wasnt sure why the kitten was not eating, whether she was sick or if it was the new environment.