Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peridental disease.

Jackie467
July 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Well Tuesday I took Candi to the vet for her shots and check up. Well her teeth are really bad, she has peridental disease in all her front incisors. She is now scheduled to undergo a teeth cleaning on the 28th as well as have her dew claws removed (see the threads on her dew claw disasters).

They are thinking that they will have to remove some of her teeth and put some kind of special medication on the ones they don't have to remove (if there are any). The good thing is that because they are the front incisors she doesn't really need them to chew.

Apparently brushing hasn't been doing much against this, she doesn't really have any tarter on her teeth at all according to the vet but tarter apparently isn't always the cause of peridental disease. It is a breed problem with Italian Greyhounds. My poor baby is going to be in so much pain afterwards :( . They are going to keep her overnight and I'll pick her up on Sat. Of course I'm freaking and so worried.

Please send us good vibes on Friday the 28th and hope it all goes well :fingerscr .

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Good luck! I know a lot of dogs that have been though this type of procedure and have come out ok. Even Joey (the cocker) here on the board had a whole bunch removed in the spring.:)

Jackie467
July 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah I know. I just worry about the anestheasia because she is an Italian Greyhound she has no body fat which makes anestheasia dangerous.

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
:fingerscr and :love: for Candi! girl is lucky to have such a caring mom! she will be fine.... dogs are tough little things. :angel:

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Oh, I know- I'd be worried sick if it was my doggies too, and they don't have any issues really with anaesthetic... I just wanted to sound reassuring.:D :o

Jackie467
July 14th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I know Prin thank you. And to top it off this is going to cost me over $600 usd. I'm putting it on a credit card, no other choice. It just couldn't have come at a worst time, I'm still paying off my Dad's funeral costs. Not easy for a 21 year old student (i'm taking summer classes blah!) since I only work part time.

OntarioGreys
July 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
:grouphug:
I have the big greys also known for genetically crappy teeth, Sunny in particular is super horrible he has to go every 9 months to a year for dentals, he has had upto 10 teeth removed at one visit, he was eating the same day and recovered pretty fast, I found grinding up the kibble and adding water to make it to porridge consistency for the next 3 to 5 day after multiple extractions worked well and did not create tummy upsets like what may occur if feeding canned instead, even when all teeth are removed they can still eat kibbles as they did before once the gums heal presoaking to soften helps if they are having some problems.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 05:43 PM
no kidding! Been there. They give you just enough hours of school so you can barely work. :rolleyes: Thank goodness for credit...

OntarioGreys
July 14th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Here is an article on anethesia proctocols that are safe for sighthounds in case your vet does not have much experience with sighthounds, absolutely no barbituates should be given

http://greyhound-data.com/dir/392/Greyhound_Anesthesia.pdf

http://greyhound-data.com/dir/444/Demystifying_Anesthesia.pdf

Because I have one greyhound who has suffered stress related hyperthermia and also a bleeder and since I am unable to obtain past medical records for her from when she was vetted in Florida, her get going under will be more worrying and the vet will have extra resources on hand in case of complications while under. Once she has been through the first anesthesia, I won't be as nervous afterward as the vet will know how she responds so it make futures ones easier.

Sunny has had his neuters and dentals here so we know he tolerates the anesthesia fine, so I know it is no longer something I have to worry about anymore, he has been put under about 12 times in the 5 years I have had him

Jackie467
July 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM
actully the vet that I use has extensive experience with Greyhounds and the like. That makes me feel a little better, but I still get nervous anyway.