Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spaying Age

jessymoka
July 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I have a very important question.

I am looking to have my puppy spayed at a place called PAWS (pets are worth saving) in Chicago.
They are a clinic and do spaying and neutering at low costs to promote the spaying and neutering of animals.
The are a large and well known animal rescue/clinic/adoption center.
I actually have had a dog neutered there before and though they do a high volume of this they did great. They were caring towards the animals and great with the owners, etc.

Here's comment/concern... I called to find out at what age that they will spay her. They told me 3 months. Isn't that young?
What is standard... I know that you definately want to do it before their first heat... but.

Thanks!!!

Jessica

LibbyP
July 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Hey jessymoka, (IMO) I think the earlier the better, recovery is much quicker and easier, incision smaller, less likely you miss her first heat and she gets preg way too early

bethaliz
July 14th, 2006, 02:31 PM
My vet wont do a spay until after the first heat. However most vets and everything that I have read, 3 to 6 months is the best to miss the first heat.

LM1313
July 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM
She'll be fine at three months . . . Also, younger dogs have a quicker recovery time. Plus she'll definitely miss the first heat, which is great since she can't accidentally become pregnant. :)

OntarioGreys
July 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
My vet wont do a spay until after the first heat. However most vets and everything that I have read, 3 to 6 months is the best to miss the first heat.

That is crazy, I can't even belive any vet in Canada would make that kind of recommendation :eek: I would be changing vets if this was my vet, one heat cycle increases the odds of mammary cancer by over 20%.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 04:23 PM
OG, there are a lot of old school vets that still preach that or to wait until the dog's fully grown. It's ridiculous- and not to mention since they charge by the weight, more profitable for the vet.:rolleyes:

I'm with Libby- the younger the better.

LibbyP
July 14th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Ya Prin, Not to mention after a heat the cost $$

mastifflover
July 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM
There are only a few breeds that need to wait until they are older. But the sooner the better do not let her go through a heat. No need that is a old wives tale