Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog's paws have bloody blisters!

becky jones
July 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I have had my 5 year old chocolate lab/st bernard for about 6 months from the humane society and it seems that he has very sore paws!

He has 2 bloddy blisters on his front paws that keep scabing over and then reopening again. He doesn't seem to be bothered with them but occasionally after long walks in parks or in grassy areas, his paws swellup and the blisters return and he licks them.

As well I noticed that he has some crusty spots on the underside belly.

Our vet has put him on Baytral and we are washing his feet with a medicated wash however we are still concerned.

has nayoen else had this probelm?

bethaliz
July 14th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I myself haven't expereince the blistered paws, but both my aunt and the breeder that I work with get them quite a bit. The bet thing to do is make sure that the paw stays clean. So keep the hair trimed and clean it daily to remove anything that might get in there. Once it's cleared up just make sure to check it once or twice a week. Keep using what the vet has given you. You can also try soaking the paw in warm water with epsom salts, we have found this very effective. You may also want to shorten his walks, or keep to the grass until the paws has improved.

As for the scarbs on his belly, I can only think of two things.

1. he is allergic to something which is causing him to scratch. My Shih Tzu Roxie is VERY allergetic to Wheat and Chicken. When she eats any she will scratch her self until she tears the skin off. She gets scabs on you underside and on her back. So it maybe a food allergy.

What are you feeding your dog? Did you ask the vet about it when you were there for his feet?

2. The other thing is; male dogs have nipples that can look like little dark spots. The first time I saw them I thought they were scabs.

I hope it helps. If your still concerned about his feet and tummy you can always call the vet. It wont cost you anything unless you take him in and they can probly give you advice over the phone.

Good luck..... keep us posted

BMDLuver
July 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
He most likely has allergies. Maybe even to grass thus the paws flaring up after long walks. His diet is likely a culprit as well as his environment. Normally when my guy flares up he goes on a round of Vanectyl P. We are moving to RAW with my guy because we haven't found a kibble that works for him. However, in Choc Labs and Saints I've seen great improvement in our rescues by changing them to a Limited Antigen food. Ask your vet about it. There's also Eagle Pack Anchovy and Potatoe as well as Wellness Sweet Potatoe and Fish that you could try. Just gradually switch over the food and see if you see an improvement.