Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs and hip dysplasia ..??

jiorji
July 14th, 2006, 11:05 AM
On several ocasions I've heard that a mix dog breed may be more healthy than a purebred.

Does that apply to problems such as hip dysplasia ?*
I read that it's most likely for big breeds to get this health issue and that it's best if the parents are both checked against it to make sure that there's no problems in the pup, but if you have a mixed breed, do those problems minimize?

anyone have any experiece with this??..............Prin??:D

*(if that's spelt wrong I'm sorry; i copied and pasted off the net :rolleyes: )

Bluefunnel
July 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
:ca:

I would not say mixed breeds are any healthier than pure breeds.
Many of the illnesses are genetic but the most important thing is to have your pet given a thorough medical, in my case with Siberian Huskies I do blood work every year and watch for any change in the numbers. As far as Hip Dysplasia is concerned, it is in the main genetic and a few breeds seem more prone in their later years than other, Breeds that come to mind are German Sheppard (Alsatians) Labradors, Golden retrievers and occasionally Huskies and Malamutes. However there are no hard and fast rules. Smaller dogs and some big ones suffer from arthritis etc.

The rule that is set in stone, is that you pet should have a full medical EVERY Year and you should be going to a vet you are comfortable with and who will explain things to you, but just remember, nothing is cast in stone and as recently happened to me, I lost a pet right after a medical. Sometimes there are just no warnings.

Your vet is your best friend, if you can take out medical insurance on your pet that is great and hope you never have to use it.
As far as you original question, big or small more susceptible, we see more Hip Dyp in the bigger breeds as they carry more weight and the joints etc work harder, BUT there is no hard and fast rule.

Take care and good luck.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Nope, mixed breeds are equally, if not even more prone to diseases like hip dysplasia. Good breeders will test for it (there are now DNA tests that pinpoint genes that make them susceptible) but byb's don't. The odds of having a mutt with hip dysplasia can be high. If neither parent shows the disease, there could be a 1/4 chance that the offspring get it anyway. That's if the dogs are old enough- some take a while to show it and without xrays, you'd never know. If one parent has it, you can get 3/4 offspring with it. I'm not sure how the gene for this works, but sometimes having 1 out of 2 genes (alleles) positive for a disease can make you mildly affected, too.

In the end, mutts are a potluck. You just get what you get (and a lot of love, too that balances it all out).

mastifflover
July 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I actually think that mutts would be more prone to HD and other genetic problems because these dogs are not tested and say you mix a Mastiff and a Dane both untested I would say the odds are pretty high you would end up with HD or some other genetic problem. That is why we should spay and neuter our pets.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 12:42 PM
btw, I think the fact that Boo doesn't have hip dysplasia despite his size and bad childhood is a miracle... Then again, the ONLY time he growls is if you lie on his elbows... Something weak in there IMO.

Dog Dancer
July 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Hi Jiorji, My last dog was a mixed breed GSD/Heeler (see you at the Bridge Sheba) and she had dysplasia. She was diagnosed with xrays quite young due to a limp, and was treated well for many years with drugs and glucosamine and such and lived a good life but no running or jumping. Unfortunately at 7 she tore her ACL and had to be put down as she literally "didn't have a leg to stand on". At that time financially it was very costly to do hip replacements, and I couldn't have done it (prior to the ACL, at that point it was too late), but today I would do it for my girls if this became an issue. But yes, like Prin said, cross breeds are equally if not more likely to have it.

mastifflover
July 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM
That is like I know Buddy is going to have problems as he gets older I really try and not let him jump off thing which he loves to do. He I am sure is from a BYB in Quebec which is where he is from. He is not from a reputable breeder no tattoos and not the ideal Mastiff but he is perfect to me.

jiorji
July 14th, 2006, 12:57 PM
yeah heard GSD are high risk.

do hip replacements heal ok?

Toonces
July 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
GSDs are not high risk. They are ranked #39 for HD by breed, the two most common breeds that get it are Bulldogs and Pugs.

Dog Dancer
July 14th, 2006, 03:21 PM
My vet had told me at the time that hip replacement surgery heals relatively well for dogs. There is less lay-up time for that than there would have been for the ACL surgery. I'm sure it's still not easy on the dog, and it does require confinement, but as far as I know there are worse surgeries apparently. But I've not had it done on my dogs so I can't speak from experience, only what my vet said several years ago.

OntarioGreys
July 14th, 2006, 04:21 PM
It is mostly genetic disease, and if both parents have chances are very high he will, if the one parent has no occurence in the family background and the other does than the odd become 50/50.

Sometimes parents can both be free but could carry the genetics to produce a pup with hip dysplaysia which is the reason for genetic screening or x-rays of pups and can turn up even with good breeders if the breed gene pool becomes too small.

The racing greyhound is one of the few large breeds or possibly even the only one that is genetically free of hip problems, simply because they were breed for over 200 hundred years for performance any dog that had any signs of problems running was removed from the gene pool so it created a breed without genetic joint problems, but in the case of the AKC greyhound which had a small gene pool problems did develop.

It is also to have hip dysplaysia as a result from injury to the hips

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 04:29 PM
here is a very interesting story to read about an akita with HD, his surgery, recovery, etc, all with photos... very heartwarming and informative!

http://www.scubamom.com/akita/