Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat too large for cat litter box

mbowling
January 19th, 2004, 09:56 PM
I have a strange problem. Recently, my wife's uncle was in a serious car accident, and we are now caring for his housecat. We have two other cats, however, our new family member is significantly larger and does not fit into the litter boxes. We have the largest enclosed boxes we could find, but when he enters it head first, he is too long to fit in them. As a result, he misses the litter boxes entirely. You can imagine the mess and the odor. We have tried using open litter boxes, but he doesn't like them, and when our mid-sized cat uses an open box, he misses and hits the floor!

Does anyone know where I can get reasonable-priced super-size hooded litter boxes over 22 inches long?

mona_b
January 19th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your wifes uncle.I hope he will be ok.

Have you checked around at the pet stores?

Lucky Rescue
January 19th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Here's one that is 26" long and very reasonably priced! You can order online.
Jumbo covered box (http://www.ferretstore.com/ds-022.html?AID=5356628&PID=976026)

Catt31
January 20th, 2004, 07:48 AM
A friend of mine had a very large cat who wouldn't fit into his litter box either. They used a shallow rubbermaid tub (4 -5 inches deep) that worked perfectly! I know this won't help in your situation because he won't go without a hood....but someone else might find this bit of info. useful!! Cheers!

chico2
January 20th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I don't have an answer to the BIG cat problem...but talking to my vet about lung-problems in cats,she mentioned coverd pee-boxes as one of the culprits even with dust-free litter.It kind of make sense,if dust from cat-litter damages human lungs,what does it do to a little cats lungs especially in a closed in area.
My male-cats will"miss"the box and not sit down and pee if I did not get downstairs for my daily scoop-up routine,they are awfully dainty and particular aren't they
:D

LavenderRott
January 20th, 2004, 10:07 AM
You could cover the tub with a cardboard box with a hole cut in it for a door.