Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Savannah Cat peeing on the Floor?

katolack
July 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Hello I am new here and have been reading some old posts on the forums about this topic.
I have 4 cats, 1 Bengal named Katolack, 1 Bengal named Katana, an orange tabby named Tigger and 1 Savannah named Dukati.

The Savannah is about 2 years old and has been peeing on the floor for some time now. I have had her checked by the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with her. It is intermittent and she does use the litter box sometimes, just not always... I have been using Feliway plug in's and spray which seems to work, and I have also been using Cat Attract Cat litter which also seems to help.
Generally she will pee on tile floors in a corner, or counter tops. Occassionally she will go on the carpet or a towel left on the floor as well.

I am not sure if she is doing this because she does not get along with the other femal Bengal I have (Katana) as they do fight each other? She is an amazing cat and follows me around the house constantly, she loves to play catch and is a great cat, but this peeing thing is awfull..

At this time I have confined her to the master bedroom and bathroom, and she did not have any accidents for about 3 weeks, but she has just started doing it again on a daily basis on the bathroom tiles... I really want to find a resolution to this problem that does not involve getting rid of her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

jesse's mommy
July 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM
First of all welcome to the forum. We fully expect to see lots and lots of pictures of your furbabies. :D

As for help, I'm not sure how much help I can be since I've never owned cats, but I know a few questions to ask that may help out when some of the cat members see this. First, how many litter boxes to you have? I've read that you should have one for each cat plus one. The other question is has anything change with routine? Is there anything that may be causing some anxiety? I wish I could be more help, but I'm sure someone will chime in before long.

H.P.
July 14th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hi and Welcome! Do your litter boxes have the tops to close them in? My cat will only use one with the top to enclose it. Makes no sense, but she would rather use the floor than an open litter box. Good luck!

Ed U KayShawn
July 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Hi there, I am going to add my 2 cents worth here on this one! Since I seem to live in a harmonious house ;) :eek: :rolleyes: I have 2 older spayed females and 2 young kittens and only the kittens like each other!! The older ones if they could would roll their eyes at the every soo curious kittens! Anyways, we too have had some interesting bathroom episodes and the vet gave the all clear no health concerns, so therefore we know it is behavioural. First try and use a towel on one cat as to rub her/him down the back be sure to get his her cheeks too! Then use it as the placemat for you cats bowls. the food is a positive that way they get use to each other positively without invasion. Do the same with the other cats dishes. Try and have a couple of towels with each others pheromones on them for positive situations like when one cat wants on your lap the other cats towel should be there. It is a bizarre but gradual process and in no time they will be able to accept each other and stop the peeing! :thumbs up.(try not to mix up the towels !! and make sure to put them away when not in use (except the placemat ones!!) Of course like the what the others have posted about the kitty litter boxes is a must and make sure they like the right litter, and if they are not fixed make that a priority as well! hope this helps.

Stacer
July 15th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I concur with Jesse's mommy, the more litter boxes the better. Maybe she doesn't like the location of the litter box(es). Try a more private spot for her. I know some people have put the litter box in a closet or even under the sink in the cabinet because their cats want their privacy. I don't know if this has any bearing on pee behaviour, but are your cats spayed/neutered? My male cat was having some behavioural peeing problems when he was about 5-6 months old after using the litter box like a pro for his whole life, we took him to the vet, nothing was wrong with him. The vet suggested that after he was neutered the problem might clear up, and it did, not another incident since.

katolack
July 15th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, I have 6 litter boxes scattered through the house, some have lids some dont. I did that because I didnt know if she wanted a lid or not?
I have not tried the blanket thing, but it sounds like a good idea, I will definitely start doing that.

As for pictures I will get some up soon for sure..

If there are any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

badger
July 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM
How long have you had the Bengali she fights with? How bad does the fighting get? Is there any stalking? These are big disrupters for a cat, especially if she is used to being the alpha.
If they have been together for a few months or longer and are still any kind of threat to each other, to the point where they have to be separated, you may have a problem.
She's definitely sending you a message...calling all catwhisperers!

katolack
July 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I have had the Bengal for a bit longer then the Savannah.. When I first got the Savannah she was under weight and not eating well and the Bengal would stallk her and attack her. Now that the Savannah's weight is getting to where it should be she is much larger then the Bengal and she is the one doing the stalking now, but usually in a playfull manor. Occasionaly it gets out of hand though. So overall the fighting has been getting better... I currently keep the two of them together, and away from the other cats because I wanted them to bond, it actually does seem to be working and they are sleeping together sometimes now.
Let me know what you think.

badger
July 15th, 2006, 09:42 PM
(scratching head)
It all sounds pretty normal to me. Except you've separated them from the other cats. Could that be a factor? If they all get along, more or less, maybe it's time to add the other two cats into the mix, maybe she misses the old days.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28704

katolack
July 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I know it is hard to find the issue. The reason I have only the two together is because I dont want her roaming the house peeing everywhere, this way I can confine it to one room. I had all of them in the room for a while but it was too many cats for a small area.

I recently moved her food to where she was peeing, and she actually peed right beside her food dish... I searched the internet and have not seen that anywhere before... It also always seems to be at night that she does this?

On the positive side, she has not gone on the floor in the past two days, hopefully that trend will continue.:fingerscr

chico2
July 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I just want to wish you luck,it's not easy figuring out why cats do the things they do:confused:
I have a neutered male(one of 3 males),who is the most wonderful laid back cat,but he sprays on occasion,if he's upset about something...however the notion of"getting rid"of him never entered my mind.
I would love to see pics of your cats,I have no idea what a Savannah looks like,will check my cat-book:p