Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Greetings from another newbie :)

Smiley14
July 13th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself. I stumbled upon this forum tonight and am quite excited to share in the experiences of fellow animal lovers! I have grown up with various animals my whole life, from cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, various birds, hamsters, tropical fish, and even a rat. :)
Currently, I have Billy and Petey. Billy is my 15 year old short-haired mix who I have had since he was 6wks old. His mother was a persian and his father a stray. I rescued him and his siblings when the owner literally dumped them in a box in the doorway of our local Walmart store where I was working. I was a teenager on a mission! So Billy and I have been together through thick and thin for many years now. He is a beautiful white-haired, blue-eyed doll. He is still very active in his old age, although has been having some disturbing health issues lately that I will ask about later.
Petey is the most recent addition to our family. He is a beautiful pure-bred German Short-haired Pointer who was also a rescue dog from a local organization. He was purchased from a breeder as a hunting dog, but turned out to be gun-shy, so abandoned by the previous owner. I've had Petey for about 1 1/2 years now. He is a three year old, white and liver ticked, never ending bundle of energy and joy. I've been working on his training and after graduating from three beginner and intermediate training classes, I am happy to say he recently passed his Good Citizen test! I am so proud of him! :) He is a very happy dog, whose greatest joy other than food, is to be with people. My trainer calls him a Boston Terrier in a pointer body as he is not quite your typical pointer. He absolutely loves children, especially babies, and his favorite activity is lounging on the couch with his big head in your lap, stuffed toy clamped between his lips, staring at you adoringly. I take him with me on my travels whenever possible, so as to keep him socialized and to help him overcome his fear of loud or strange noises. Our most recent trip was houseboating in the Superior National Forest. We also make weekly trips to our local off-leash dog park on the weekends as my job keeps me away for several hours each day during the week. He is completely house-trained, so is left loose and can come and go through his doggie door into his fenced backyard. I recently installed an invisible fence as a secondary back-up fence as I had a scary instance where my gate was left open by my lawn-mowing company and he got loose. I've got a few questions on invislble fences that I would love to chat with people about, so I'll ask about that later as well. :)
Sorry this has gotten so long! I could go on and on about my babies. :)
Hello to everyone and I look forward to chatting with you!

LibbyP
July 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Hi Smiley14 Welcome to the best forum(IMO) around, I'm sure you will soon become an addict like the rest of us ;) . Your furkids sound wonderful, as you know we love to see pics. Look forward to chatting with you soon:pawprint:

Smiley14
July 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Smiley14 Welcome to the best forum(IMO) around, I'm sure you will soon become an addict like the rest of us ;) . Your furkids sound wonderful, as you know we love to see pics. Look forward to chatting with you soon:pawprint:

Thanks, Libby! Now I just have to figure out how to post pics here. :) Can they be shared in any thread or are pics limited to the pic thread only?
Thanks again for the welcome! :)

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the board! I don't think your descriptions cut it though- we need some pics! :D

(especially of the pointer... and especially of the white haired blue eyed doggy)

Smiley14
July 15th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Welcome to the board! I don't think your descriptions cut it though- we need some pics! :D

(especially of the pointer... and especially of the white haired blue eyed doggy)

Oh oops! Just realized I didn't mention that Billy is a cat! (He's the white-haired, blue-eyed one!) Sorry about that!
Thanks so much for the welcome!! :)

Smiley14
July 15th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Here's a few pictures of Billy (cat) and Petey (dog)! My computer crashed last week, so I am still in process of re-installing all my files, including pictures. But here are a few of them at least. I have better ones that I need to track down. Most of my pictures of Petey are when he's sleeping. When he's awake, he tends to be on the move and hard to capture on camera! :)

Smiley14
July 15th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Here's one of both of them! Sorry it's so far away, but I think it's cute anyway. :)

Smiley14
July 15th, 2006, 03:14 AM
One more of Petey. :)

Smiley14
July 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Here's one of Billy. He's a little mad because I'm interrupting his nap in the kitchen window. :) Sorry it's not very good. I have trouble capturing his blue eyes because they almost always come out glowing red. He looks like demon kitty in most pictures! I don't know if that is typical with blue-eyed animals or what. I have some gorgeous pictures of him that were taken on film camera, but I don't have a scanner yet. When I get those, I can post much better pics of him. :)

Smiley14
July 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Here's a few of Petey at the dog park today, playing with his friends. :)

Smiley14
July 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Swimming at the dog park. :)

LibbyP
July 15th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Wow your good I cannot figure out how to post pics yet:o I love the pics Petey's liver colour must be really dark it looks almost black, and he's in excellent shape:thumbs up I have the same trouble taking nice pics of my kitties with their demon eyes, Ruby's are such a pale blue there almost clear, and Max always squints.

Frenchy
July 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM
awww,I love pointers,Petey looks soooo spoiled!Billy too!Hope to see LOTS more pics of them!:) Libbyp,If I can download pictures,anyone can!My only problem is I can't resize them properly!

Smiley14
July 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Wow your good I cannot figure out how to post pics yet:o I love the pics Petey's liver colour must be really dark it looks almost black, and he's in excellent shape:thumbs up I have the same trouble taking nice pics of my kitties with their demon eyes, Ruby's are such a pale blue there almost clear, and Max always squints.

Glad to know I'm not the only owner out there with the demon-eyed kitty pics! :)
To post pics, you just click on the "manage attachments" button below the message box you type in. It will pull up a separate window that prompts you to browse your computer to where you have the pic saved. Can't wait to see your pics too! :)

Smiley14
July 16th, 2006, 03:14 PM
awww,I love pointers,Petey looks soooo spoiled!Billy too!Hope to see LOTS more pics of them!:) Libbyp,If I can download pictures,anyone can!My only problem is I can't resize them properly!

Petey is my first GSP, but I've definitely fallen in love with the breed and have discovered some fellow owners at the dog park and at work, so that's been great as well. Although, I'm learning more and more that Petey's personality is not quite the typical pointer. :) While he's definitely high energy and needs a lot of daily exercise, he is also the biggest couch potato baby you've ever seen. He failed his hunt test (which is how I ended up rescuing him) and is afraid of loud noises. He will happily sleep for hours on the couch, get up and run mad circles for an hour around the backyard, and then plop back down on the couch for another nap. I've never seen quite this much of a lazy streak in a pointer before. :) And in training, the other owners were shocked at how calm he was! I got many offers for him, lol. So while I don't think he would meet the breed standard, I wanted him simply as a pet, and he's turned out to be the best one I've ever had. We're starting up an advanced training class this fall, and my trainer wants me to try agility training with him this winter. Should be interesting! But oh yes, he is very spoiled. :) They both are!
Frenchy, I couldn't figure out how to properly resize the pics either. When I saved them to smallest size option in my photo program, it was still over 100kb. So I ended up doing it in a roundabout way. I'm sure there's an easier way, but it was the only thing I could think of. :) So I just right-clicked on the pic and chose, "send to mail recipient" and then chose "send smaller size" and emailed the pic back to myself. I then resaved the pic to my computer at the smaller size so I could upload it here. Like I said, I'm sure there's a much easier way, but it worked at least. :)

glasslass
July 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the forum! Billy and Petey are adorable - MORE! MORE!

Smiley14
July 16th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the forum! Billy and Petey are adorable - MORE! MORE!

Hi Glasslass! Thanks for the welcome! :) Glad you like the pics! :)

Prin
July 17th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Great pics! I love your pointer! The kitty looks so cozy everywhere... Adorable.:)

Smiley14
July 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Great pics! I love your pointer! The kitty looks so cozy everywhere... Adorable.:)

Thank you!!! They are so fun! :)