Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how furry is your house??

jiorji
July 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM
does anyone else's house have as much fur as mine?? lol
It seems like tons and tons of hair(it's shedding season you know)

how many times do you vaccuum and change the sheets to avoid inhaling fur?

are there any health issues one should worry about regarding too much fur in the house??

i'm not allergic or anything but one should be cautious. Perhaps there's something I don't know of yet...

catsnatcher-CDN
July 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
i don't think there are health issues.

I vaccuum, clean house and clean sheets once a week REALLY well (it takes about 6 hours).

Some tricks:

I use a bounce sheet to rub my couches, chairs, etc and loosen the hairs and then, I vacuum the couches, then i pass a lint brush on the couches to pick up any i left behind. I do this on my lamp shades too.

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I just sweep every two days and in between, I pick up any rolling furbleweeds...

Puppyluv
July 13th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I do a thourough vaccumming AT LEAST 5 days a week. I do at least a minor vaccuming on the other 2 days, and if I have the time, I do a thourough job on those days too. I sweep twice a day, change my sheets weekly, vaccuum my furniture twice a week, and mop twice a week. This is ALL to combat the fur. I vaccuum my car once a week, but should do it more.

jiorji
July 13th, 2006, 09:12 PM
wow .... that's a lot of cleaning Prin and Puppy...
I usually vaccuum once a week, as i totaly despise cleaning. and of course the sheets gets changed once a week, and use Bounce for cleaning up clothes, etc.

I'm used to my mom's cleaning routine as she does a thorough cleaning job once a week, but they don't have any pets.

Many i should turn up my cleaning a notch :cool: :pawprint:

catsnatcher-CDN
July 13th, 2006, 09:24 PM
it depend how well you do it. noone can tell i have 4 pets and although there is hair, i've got it under control.
i also work from home so my breaks consist of tidying up.

glasslass
July 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Ahhhh! Sorry girls! Poodles - no shedding - housekeeper every Thursday! "Rolling furrbleweeds" got me though. All it takes is a visit from either brother and his dog and I can relate!

Skryker
July 13th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Lol-we swept up a bunch of furbleweeds tonight before dinner. I *try* to sweep at least once a day all the bare floors, and vacuum rugs and couchs once a week. Sheets get changed once a week unless the fur is extreme. It has been very bad lately for both cat and dogs. I spot vac or use sticky tape if I see a very furry spot on carpet or furniture.

Tonight, all the dishes at dinner were especially furry. I don't know why, since they were washed and dried with fresh cloths and dish towels. Maybe the cat had a nap in the laundry basket before I folded stuff up?

jawert1
July 14th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I'm like Puppyluv, I vacuum daily, with really in depth vacuums every other day. With Peach and Simon, I've got combo hair everywhere - hers being long and just everywhere and his being short and seemingly weavable into every fabric (his is the worst really). Even if I didn't have allergies, I would, if only because I'm a clean freak and I think they prefer not to be challenged with their hair everywhere :p

jessi76
July 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I've been dog sitting a Malamute for about 3wks now, and we have him for about another 2 wks.... omg, I have Malamute furbleweeds blowing around my whole house. a Mal in July = VERY furry house.

My vaccum is just left out, I swear, I suck up about 20 tufts of fur a night (and I've been brushing and combing out his undercoat EVERY NIGHT since we started watching him).

oh, and I have 2 cats, and Tucker (my dog). Thankfully Tucker isn't really an issue w/ hair or shedding, he has those little hairs though, that stick into things - but the sticky roll usually takes it up easily.

With the Mal, I just give up. I've accepted the fact that the fur has beaten me. But normally I suck up the fur in the corners 2-3/wk, and every saturday morning is reserved for a whole house CLEAN. everything get washed, mopped, wiped, and dusted.

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
when it's coat blowing season (early summer & early winter), the floor is awash with floating white furclouds :eek: because we're lazy, we endure it and only vaccum every other day or so... no dogs on the furniture but the fur does fly up to the counters & tables and FORGET about wearning anything dark or velvety! but for the rest of the time (about 9 months per year), shedding is not that bad, we can live with vaccuming once or twice per week to get the bunnies in the room corners :D (dogs do get brushed outside though, which helps alot). oh and the raw-fed dog sheds HALF the amount of the other one.. and coat blow period is shorter. phew!

cpietra16
July 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I have 5 cats and I still think that Winnie, my lab, is the one that loses more hair than any of the cats...the furbleweeds get soo large some days that my daughter trips over them. I vacuum 3 times a day; and this time of the year is the worst. For my couch I put on my rubber gloves and just wipe (sweep motion) up the hair; it's cheap and it really works well.

papillonmama
July 14th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I got a vacuum for Christmas and it's my favorite gadget in my house so I use it as often as I can, I'll admit, sometimes twice a day, but my kids are messier than my pets it's usually some kind of spill I'm cleaning, at least they don't shed.;)

I clean every day, mostly unrelated to pets, but I do clean the pet beds every other day and they aren't allowed to sleep in the bedrooms 'cause they tend to get a little too friendly and wake up the kids, so hairy sheets aren't a problem, my couch gets rollyed every day though, just so I don't go outside looking like the cat-lady. Once a week I like to do major cleaning, moving furniture, disinfecting everything, cleaning fish tanks, washing walls or whatever the kids have written on. It's totally not neccesary, but it keeps me sane.:D

Shaykeija
July 14th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I just endust the Shih Tzu and let her go..:p Just joking. With 2 non shedders and a hairy cat we do not get many furball..with the exception the huge one Piper usually hacks up on my side if the bed :yuck:

lezzpezz
July 14th, 2006, 09:54 AM
it says it all...;)

I vacuum eod, sweep daily, sleep WITH the dogs:eek: brush, brush, brush!

I shaved down Rosie. Lennox the Husky is just now finishing a month and a half of blowing his undercoat and winter fur. Dawson is shedding too! Cats leave little tufts here and there. Fish are okay, however.....

jiorji
July 14th, 2006, 10:32 AM
anybody here vaccuum their pet?

I hear that helps with shedding but mine's so loud my cats hide when they see it come out of the closet hehe

Frenchy
July 14th, 2006, 11:25 AM
It's not so bad considering I have 3 to 4 goldens in the house.I vacuum once a week,sweep every 2 days (swiffer) and brush the dogs every 2 days.But I would never wear black in the house :D

happycats
July 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Since putting laminate on 2 floors (one more to go) I have major furballweeds everywhere!!:eek: I do a major vacuum once a week (that just seems to get thr furballweed airborn) and I sweep everyday (and even that doesn't even keep them at bay):rolleyes:

I posted about the "swivel sweeper" (no replies:o ) because the informercial looks like it may solve my furballweed problem. (it is supposed to replace the vacuum and broom)

I do the bedding once a week (unless someone coughs up a furball on the bed :yuck: then more often. I use a duvet cover (great for people with pets) so I can wash that once a week with the bedding to get rid of the fur. (duvet itself gets washed when :yuck: occurs).

I keep a lintbrush and boxtape on hand for quick cleanups

Does anyone know how to keep hair out of the butter dish:eek: ? No matter what I do, there is always at least one cat hair in the butter dish. I now laugh when company (without pets) comes for dinner and sees it, the look on their faces:D . I used to be totally embarassed, but after owning cats for 17 years it's just funny now (thats' just life with pets):p

mastifflover
July 14th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Fur, lint, slobber it is just my lifestyle. Bud sheds enough daily that I could carpet my entire loft in a week. It is constant sweeping not one carpet just way to much work. Dog hair is not an option in food there always seems to be one that manages to get on a plate.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Tonight, all the dishes at dinner were especially furry. I don't know why, since they were washed and dried with fresh cloths and dish towels. Maybe the cat had a nap in the laundry basket before I folded stuff up?lol when I do laundry, the towels come out of the dryer, straight into the closet. If I wait so much as a minute, they're full of fur. You end up coming out of the shower furrier than you went in.:D

As for dishes, I just lifted a croissant off my plate and there were at least 6 furs under it.:eek:

jiorji
July 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
lol when I do laundry, the towels come out of the dryer, straight into the closet. If I wait so much as a minute, they're full of fur. You end up coming out of the shower furrier than you went in.:D

my towels are horrible! I don't know about anyone else but what I totally HATE is wanting to whipe my face after washing up and ending up with thousands of tiny undercoat kitty hairs on my face :yuck:

I keep a lintbrush and boxtape on hand for quick cleanups
I need to invest in a lint brush as well

I've learned not to buy clothing that happily collects cat hair, or anything dark...which is hard cos i'm no fan of pastel colors.

ANd speaking of guests...my aunt came to visit with my parents and she constantly pestered me about how I sleep in an apartment with such BIG animals...referring to my small cats. Her exact words were "Aren't you afraid??"..:rolleyes:
I wonder what she thought of the cat fur on the furniture hehehe :evil:

Sunkist/Winnie
July 14th, 2006, 01:14 PM
We use the Swifter Swivel thing - works so much better than the broom. I must have missed that thread...

We still see mini kitten sized fuzzies, but that's cause my hubby only Swifters(?) once and week - no more. And that's when it's actually once a week. He uses the vaccum on the furniture though.

I found it made a big difference over just sweeping. The hair was just being pushed around and stirred up when he swept.

We have two indoor cats, and sometimes I think they should both be bald with the amount of hair that seems to accumulate.

I like the hardwood better, it's easier to pick up fuzzy tumbleweeds for a quick cleanup than to run the vaccum over carpet.

jiorji
July 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM
We have two indoor cats, and sometimes I think they should both be bald with the amount of hair that seems to accumulate.

you feel my pain. I often sneak up on my "kitten" and give her a huge hug and then put her down and i end up with a bunch of fur clumps on my face. Maybe that's her defence mechanism hehe

Dog Mom
July 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM
with 5 of ours and 1 part time it's handy to have no carpeting and leather "fur"nature I'm sweeping everyday and wiping the couches down about once a week:o lol. It's a good thing our kiddies love being brushed seeing that they are done on a daily basis! I should post a pic of all the fuzzies on the floor.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 04:41 PM
btw, I find those rollie sticky things work better than lint brushes. They're way more expensive obviously, but they work like a charm. I have to admit, I rollie everything. Once I lint rollied a plate when I saw it was full of fur..:o

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
and, in a pinch, plain ol' masking tape does the trick! :thumbs up

raingirl
July 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM
We have WAY too much fur in our house, but I admit, I hate cleaning! I am also super allergic to dust, so I am forbidden from vacumning and dusting, otherwise, I get asthma attacks.

I try and get bf to do it, but he rarely does, so our house is very hairy!

catsnatcher-CDN
July 15th, 2006, 07:47 PM
btw, I find those rollie sticky things work better than lint brushes. They're way more expensive obviously, but they work like a charm. I have to admit, I rollie everything. Once I lint rollied a plate when I saw it was full of fur..:o

Ya that's what I use...but with an upcoming mortgage, I think I'll try cpietra's plastic glove trick!

jiorji
July 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
As for dishes, I just lifted a croissant off my plate and there were at least 6 furs under it.:eek:

did you rollie the croissant??:p

phoenix
July 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM
we have a swiffer vac. LOVE it. Our pups are only allowed on the ground floor where it is all tile and parquet; a quick vac up and down the hall every day... and a good pass with the central vac on all the couches and floors once a week or so... and a mopping in muddy weather. I didn't know about the bounce sheets, I'll have to try that.

rainbow
July 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
With a husky and a lab and two cats I try to vacuum every day but don't always have the time or energy. Definitely every other day though and also have to wash the kitchen floor that often too. :(

paula383
July 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM
with 2 dogs 7 cats and a rabbit in the house i have to vacuum everyday or id be the one coughing up fur balls :D