- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


What can I do to help?

January 19th, 2004, 09:31 AM
I'm currently waiting for my vet to phone me back with an appointment time. However, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make my dog more comfortable in the meantime.

Last night she had diarrhea throughout the night, and this morning she has thrown up twice. She's also fairly lethargic, doesn't want to eat, and has been drooling a lot. Anyone know what I can do to help, or what might be causing her sickness?

Lucky Rescue
January 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Since we have absolutely no idea what is wrong with your dog, we can't offer any suggestions.:(

I'm surprised your vet couldn't give an appointment right away. From the sounds of it,(lethargy and drooling) this is somewhat of an emergency, and I would call back and tell them you need to get in right away!!!

Let us know!

January 19th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Do NOT feed her anything!!! Get to the vet asap.

January 19th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Thank you for your posts. I've spoken to the vet a number of times today, and they just told me to keep an eye on her and to bring her in if she continues to vomit or have diarrhea. She hasn't done either since earlier this morning. They just recommended that I take away her food and water for 24 hours to let her stomach settle down. She did have one semi-solid poop a little while ago, and she seems to be feeling a little better, although she's still tired, and wants to cuddle a lot.

January 19th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I'm very very glad

keep an eye on her. If it starts up again, or if she ends up consuming a LOT of water you may want to take her to the vet
it could be something to look at :D

I'm glad she's feeling better though

January 19th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Don't wait. Show up on your vet's doorstop tomorrow morning. Trust your instincts, you know when something's wrong. I "waited and watched" as my vet told me to do when one of my puppies wasn't eating and appeared to have the dry heaves. One day came and went with the same advice. 2nd day, no improvement I bundled her up and went to the vet. He diagnosed parvo (which shakes you up to say the least!), I refused to give up, told him to do everything and anything, and five days later (after 24/7 vet care, iv feeding and heavy antibiotics), vet found out his initial diagnosis was wrong, she just had a severe(!) bacterial infection in her intestines. But the vet did say it was a good thing I didn't wait any longer to take her in. Today, she's bouncing around like a bunny.

January 21st, 2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Luci seems to be feeling much better. She's back to her playful self, is eating again, and hasn't thrown up or had diarrhea in over 36 hours. :D