Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! I hate my mattress!

technodoll
July 13th, 2006, 09:11 PM
(warning, rant... )
we bought this expensive, top-of-the-line Sealy Posturpedic pillowtop mattress last year, i hated it then but hubby loved it, said to give it time, well i've had enough - it's like sleeping on a freaking trampoline, it hurts my back, i can't get comfortable no matter what i do and no matter how "great" the mattress is. I am spending more and more nights on our old soft couch in order to get some sleep. my insomnia has gotten progressively worse, because i know everytime hubby moves a muscle while sleeping or turning over, it jolts me awake (trampoline!). the warranty only covers manufacturing defects and it's been a good year... do i have any recourse at all, or are we stuck with it? for the first time of my life i had to get prescription sleeping pills, taking one tonight to finally get some sleep, i'm so exhausting i am ill and missing work! :(

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Aww... Can you call Sealy and tell them you hate your mattress? See what they say? Maybe?

Or buy those novofoam things at costco that shape to your body but fit on top of the mattress?

heidiho
July 13th, 2006, 09:18 PM
We bought an 80.00 queen size air mattress i tell you i have never slept better

technodoll
July 13th, 2006, 09:19 PM
yes, i will certainly give them a call! even if, in their warranty, it says it does not cover "comfort preference" - whatever that is? this mattress is driving me crazy, is that a preference? :confused:

i thought of adding a memory-foam topping to make it more comfortable, but i doubt it will solve the bigger of the two problems: when hubby moves, i bounce around like a popcorn, quite terrible... since we tried a half-dozen mattresses before selecting this one, which is supposedly top-rated for couples, so one does not feel the other move. what bs that has turned out to be... waaaaaaaah!

jesse's mommy
July 13th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I say get a memory foam topper and give that a try. It'll help stabilize a little when hubby moves, but it also forms to your body. We had one that was four inches thick and it was great. Then Jesse was sleeping on the bed during the day and decided to "nest" before she settled down to get to sleep, then she ended up ripping the sheet and so on. She got to the memory foam and realized how much fun it was to pull apart and make a mess. No more memory foam for us until we get the extra cash. :sad: I loved that thing, but I couldn't get too mad at Jesse because she obviously had so much fun doing it. We'll get another eventually. I definitely recommend it.

If you are able to get a new mattress I highly recommend the tempurpedic type of mattress. We checked them out one day when we were furniture shopping. I felt like I was in a commercial because I almost fell asleep in the store.

mastifflover
July 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Call the mattress company my friend had the same thing with theres she called and said we paid a fortune for a mattress we hate and can't get a good nights sleep on. They called her back a couple of days later and asked if she had her bill from where it was bought which she did and they told her to go to the store and pick a new one of theirs and they will deliver it and take back the other one. She opted to get one with a memory foam topper on it since they did not have a full memory foam and she loves it and said she would get the full memory foam the next time I have slept on it and it is so comfy. What is the worst that can happen they say no, but they will probably want to do something for you.

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Id say get a waveless water bed. ( my preference, but this old house prolly couldnt support the weight so its stored :sad: )
I have heard those memory foam things are great.
Hope you can get some sleep soon.

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 06:56 PM
lol What's up with the old posts, erykah? :D

How's the bed doin' techno?

technodoll
September 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I've left 3 messages with the lady at Sealy customer service, no reply :mad: so I will have to write to them. i understand i'm stuck with the mattress, the least they could do is send me a foam-topper or something. now hubby and i both have killer back pains from that peice of crap mattress. I hate Sealy!!

other than that... life is good :D

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Did you check this out yet?
http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10283781&whse=BCCA&topnav=&browse=

technodoll
September 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM
wow! THAT'S what i need! ok, gonna haveta go to costo. woohoo! :highfive: merci :)

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM
R'nt cha glad I somehow dug this up??? :D

Prin
September 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Don't thank me; thank erykah for reviving this thread.:D

joeysmama
September 5th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Oh thank God for old threads. My mattress is horrible. I look forward to any night I get to sleep away from home. My old one was a really soft pillow top. But it wasn't great for two people. Really comfortable for one but when Tom would get in we'd roll into the middle.

So I bought the firmest one I could find. I hate it hate it hate it. I want my old one back. Actually it's in my daughter's room and I've been known to slip in there when she's away at school.

Maybe a foam top would help. It's too old to send back and too new to count on needing a new one soon. Plus with me slipping into another room at night this one is never going to wear out. (wink wink)

mummummum
September 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I'm tellin' ya ~ I swear by my heated kingsize waterbed ~ no more weeks of pain with pinched nerves and excruciating muscle spasms. Besides that it sooooooo cozy. Windows open, fresh breeze blowing and I'm snug as a bug in a rug.

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I'm tellin' ya ~ I swear by my heated kingsize waterbed ~ no more weeks of pain with pinched nerves and excruciating muscle spasms. Besides that it sooooooo cozy. Windows open, fresh breeze blowing and I'm snug as a bug in a rug.

:sad: :sad: :frustrated: HOw i wish i could set mine up. Maybe one day:fingerscr I miss it so much

wdawson
September 5th, 2006, 10:33 PM
we have a pillow top and its great........when i actually sleep on it.......2 dogs snuglin.......3 cats roaming...........sleep not that great on whatever mattress....memory foam would be great if the furries had any memory:D

SnowDancer
September 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
My husband moves around a lot as well to the point where I end up on the floor. Also I am a very light sleeper and he can fall asleep standing up. Frankly the dog won't sleep next to him either. I, too have found myself - with the dog - moving to the spare room. When he travels and I get an AC points seat I asked for a room with 2 beds - and you know it is getting increasingly harder to get a room with 2 beds - everyone wants them. The aging population. Some hotels are now putting two 3/4 beds next to each other and covering them with a King bedspread to get around the problem.

technodoll
September 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM
joeysmama, we are both living the exact same nightmare! waaaaaaaaah!

the foam topper will have to wait until next month... big credit-card bill to pay this month :( until then it's constant back and shoulder aches and pains for hubby and i. #$%?&*() i curse the day i bought this mattress! pooh on Sealy! :mad:

rainbow
September 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I want one of those memory foam toppers too. :D

MyBirdIsEvil
September 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I have a memory foam mattress and I love it. The only other type of bed I would get is a waterbed, but that's a personal preference and I know many people hate them.
As far is inner-spring mattresses, I have never been on one that lived up to what the company said. I just don't like them.

Cathy1
September 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I had a Sealy Posturpedic pillowtop mattress and it was terrible to sleep on. I recently bought a memory foam mattress and it's the best. Duke has never slept all night in our bed but since the new mattress he stays all night. I don't know if that's really a good thing or not.:D

Melei'sMom
September 7th, 2006, 02:00 AM
We bought an 80.00 queen size air mattress i tell you i have never slept better

Really? We have one of those too and I hate it. We added a memory foam topper and it is a slight improvement.

When he gets into bed, I feel like I am being catapulted.

And the bottom corner of the frame by my feet is broken(don't ask how we did that, this is a g-rated forum ;) :eek: )

Can't afford a new bed right now...but counting the days! I want to build a frame and put two matteresses in it like the hotels do. Then he can move around all he wants and not affect my side.:highfive:

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 02:19 AM
When he gets into bed, I feel like I am being catapulted. ooo that must be so fun! Like a cheap trampoline! :highfive: :D

MyBirdIsEvil
September 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM
When he gets into bed, I feel like I am being catapulted.
---------
ooo that must be so fun! Like a cheap trampoline!

Is this where the thread turns not so safe for children?

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 02:34 AM
lol Nooooo.. tsk... :D

MyBirdIsEvil
September 7th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I had to. It was SO obvious. ;)

rainbow
September 7th, 2006, 02:58 AM
We don't do things like that here. :evil:

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 03:01 AM
For a revived thread, this one sure has a lot of life.:thumbs up

rainbow
September 7th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Well, I don't have much left so I'm going to check out my mattress. ;)

Prin
September 7th, 2006, 03:21 AM
lol very clever.:D

technodoll
September 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
every morning we get out of bed, it feels like we got run over by a Mack truck. is this what the "best rated mattress" is supposed to feel like? :mad: I WANT MY MONEY AND MY BACK BACK! :frustrated:

BOYCOTT SEALY!