Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For anyone with cats...an encouraging update

starr
July 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM
A few months back I posted about an elderly cat who was off her food, dangerously underweight and displaying terrible behavior...peeing and then defecating all over the house. Our vet suggested euthanasia because he figured she was in renal failure...and, to put it quite bluntly...crazy.

Well, despite the vet's initial opinion we requested blood tests and learned that her thyroid levels were very high. It was a surprise to the vet who didn't think this was anywhere close to the problem. She was put on a transdermal medication (gel in the ear), to correct the thyroid problem.

Her appetite returned but her lethargy was still apparent, probably due to low weight. We also put her on homeopathics. A couple of weeks in on the meds and her appetite declined again..she began to vomit. We suspected a reaction to the meds but the vet said impossible. (She continued to need watching for her "potty behavior" and we kept her, for the most part, in one room, with her own personal litter box.)

Still, we backed off on the dose and had her thyroid rechecked. The vet said there was no way it could be near normal after only 2 weeks on meds because it usually takes several weeks or months. Well, this time her thyroid was very low...too low. The meds worked, fast, much faster than anticipated and it was obvious that the dosage of medication did need to change.

We took her off the meds for awhile at the suggestion of our homeopath and then started again at a much lower level. We added B12 to her diet which is an appetite stimulant suggested by the homeopath. We also put her on a remedy to cleanse her adrenals. The information from the homeopath said that cats who begin urinating and/or defecating in the house and who do not have any type of bladder infection etc., are usually doing so out of pain, confusion and the need to tell us...something is wrong.

Well, 3.5 months later she has finally increased in weight although it is still low. She was just over 4 pounds when this crisis started and she is 5.25 pounds now. We need her to be at least another pound heavier but we are happy with her progress. Her eating is great and she has a lot of energy..wants to go outside..is friendly and chatty again. The bad potty behavior has completely stopped.

The reason I am sharing this with you all is for two reasons. 1. Our vet never considered that she could be hyperthyroid because her symptoms were closer to a cat in renal failure...are we ever happy we pushed for a blood test for her thyroid. He also chalked the potty behavior up to "senile old cat" 2. By going only "by the book", the vet was adamant that meds were not the cause of the later vomiting and inappetance. After retesting, we were able to adjust the medication
3. The solution to the problem was simpler than we thought...had we gone with the first impression, our old girl would have been put down for nothing

We have a great vet who has helped us enormously in the past so I am not attempting to "diss" his capabilities. The point is that each animal is different, may show different signs and respond differently to meds....as he has learned. He has admitted to being surprised each time his diagnosis has been terribly off and has stated that this has been a huge learning experience.

Always ask...try different things, consider homeopathy and do your research. It may save your pet's life. It saved ours and much to our children's delight..."Gramma Cat" is still with us.

Laura.28
July 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM
That is such an awesome story.... my cat too, a few months back out of the blue, started peeing and pooping all over the house, which was so strange to us, because she is the cleanest cat and never missed using her litter box in her whole 9 years. I took her to the vet and they just gave me some antibiotics which made the diarrehea worse, and she was getting more hyper by the day. So I took her to another vet and the first thing that came to mind was hyperthyroidism, so they did the blood tests and bingo they had the diagnosis. Within two weeks, after putting her on thyroid pills, our beloved cat was back to normal and using her litter box happily and calmer and satisfied.
It is amazing to me how our pets can tell us something is wrong with them without saying a word. Actions speak louder than words.

All the best to your Gramma Cat.

Laura

rainbow
July 16th, 2006, 03:42 PM
It's so nice to hear "happy stories"....thanks for the posts. :)

chico2
July 16th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Thank's for the info Starr and I am glad"Grammy Cat"is doing fine now:thumbs up

starr
August 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM
issues..cats not eating, etc. and I find myself constantly telling this story. I notice you folk archive posts. I wonder if there would be a way to "flag" issues of hyperthyroidism for newcomers. Ever since we discovered this concern in one of our own cats, I've been astounded at how common it actually is in cats and frighteningly, how often the cat is misdiagnosed, and subsequently wrongfully treated. I hear of cats undergoing all sorts of tests for things that end up being unnecessary. In my "short version update" I didn't mention that our vets even considered jaw trauma and cancer of some internal variety which would have required hundreds of dollars in tests....when all she needed was a simple thyroid test.

It's also been an eye-opener as to how often cats are euthanized for so-called "senile" or "incorrigible" behavior when it could easily have been the thyroid. As I stated, our own vets initially just thought our cat was getting old and crazy....then a host of other things. Wrong, wrong and wrong.

People need to know how a simple thyroid imbalance can cause a pile of other issues, from simple inappetance and weight loss to other physical ailments and plain old strange behavior.

Ok, I'm done preaching for now. :cat:

herefordbeef
January 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Starr,

Have you found any alternative treatments that work? Our cat was recently diagnosed hyperthyroid and has been given the gel version of tapazole but has not been tolerating it.

SARAH
January 30th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Oh do keep preaching! It's so important that pet owners understand that vets, like doctors, are just people and that errare humanum est (to err is human)! Thank you for that post!

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Starr,

Have you found any alternative treatments that work? Our cat was recently diagnosed hyperthyroid and has been given the gel version of tapazole but has not been tolerating it.

They can zap it with radioactive iodine (I 131), but there are VERY few vet clinics that do it. We have one here in Montreal that does it...:shrug:

chico2
January 31st, 2007, 07:36 AM
My Rocky(10yr old Tabby)was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism a couple of months ago and is currently taking 1/4 pill Tapazole twice a day of a 5mg pill.
The pill-version was recommended by my vet,1/2 the price of the gel and the treat-form(he hated it) it also comes in.
Rockys symptoms were,weightloss(from 16lb to 13),increased appetite and drinking a lot of water,plus he seemed very hyper and nervy.
The first thing my vet checked for was if he was diabetic,had UTI or a thyroidproblem,a simple blood and urine-test at $335.
Rocky is doing better,I simply crush the little pill in a teaspoon of canned food and then give him the rest,works like a charm.
I once had him on a calming med,which was a gel applied to his ear,he ended up with swollen sore ears,so to me the pill is a better alternative.
Rocky has gained maybe 1/2 lb,not enough,so I believe an adjustment in his meds is needed.
I knew nothing about Thyroid problems in cats and I am considering having his thyroids zapped,which has been suggested,by the vet.

jenn42099
January 31st, 2007, 10:22 PM
I had a cat when I was young that began to pee and poop everywhere, especially when we tried to move him. The vet recommended that he be euthanized. I was still young then and my parents agreed with him; and that's how it ended. I wish I would have known then what I know now. He was beautiful kitty and very much loved :rip:. But that's so awesome that your kitty could be diagnosed and cured. Kudos to you and your vet for figuring it out!!:thumbs up

Inisfad
February 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM
I am really glad that your cat is doing better, and was very interested in your threadfor the hyperthyroidism of course, but actually more for the homeopathic solutions to inappetance. I have an 18 year old cat that had some teeth removed. Prior to this, of course, it was difficult for her to eat, and I used to coddle her with all types of food. Now, although her eating functions are better and she has gained weight, she still doesn't have the appetite that I would like and, more importantly, seems not to smell her food properly. She is interested in food, but then smells it, eats a bit and then is looking for something new. What did your homeopath say about the B12? And what are you doing to cleanse the adrenals, etc. Regrettable, there are no homeopaths around here, so I'd be interested to know. Thanks.

SARAH
February 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
They can zap it with radioactive iodine (I 131), but there are VERY few vet clinics that do it. We have one here in Montreal that does it...:shrug:

Yeah? Who? Where?

chico2
February 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
My vet will do it and I will probably have it done to Rocky,sooner or later,I don't like to give him pills.
Anybody know of any side-effects of Tapazole???
Oh,I guess I could Google it:)