Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is your climate comfort zone?

technodoll
July 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
ok montreal is being blanketed by a hot, humid heat wave, due to last for a while... i just hate it. sweat has nowhere to go, it's so humid that crackers go stale in less than an hour, my bones feel like lead and headaches won't go away :mad: hubby loves it (figures... he's from Australia!) and shakes his head when i say my best temps are from 0 to 25C, max! i asked the doggies and they said "mom, below zero please!" :D

what is your comfort zone? am i weird for LIKING it cool n'fresh as opposed to warm and balmy? :eek:

dtbmnec
July 13th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I like somewhere in about 25 degrees. Any more than that and I get too hot. Any less than that and I have ice cubes for feet/hands.

I can't stand the humidity though either. If it gets too humid I start feeling lightheaded and feel like I'm going to pass out. Not cool. Almost passed out at the vet's office the last time I went because of it! Same thing happens in the shower/bath too, especially if I have it as warm as I like it. I first thought it had to do with an iron deficiency but it didn't go away when I was on the super duper Iron pills for three months! I shall have to talk to the doc about it later this month when I go.

Megan

Frenchy
July 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I so don't miss my 4 1/2 app.in Montreal right now!I am very lucky,I have a/c in my office at work,then on my way back home,I never put the a/c in the car,just roll down the car windows,I have 40 kms of highway,no trafic.At home I got my pool.And around 8-9 pm,it's quite comfy here in Sherrington.If not,I can still go back in the pool.Naked if I want to,nobody can see me,woooohoooo :D

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Mine is 15 degrees with a warm breeze. :) Or 0 degrees in the spring. That's refreshing.:thumbs up

LibbyP
July 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm a Fall and Winter girl here, I cannot stand humidity, we don't have AC and I feel gross and B***** all the time in the summer. Hot and crabby children and a short tempered mommy = not a summer household here, except of course the hubby says bring it on:D

BoxerRescueMTL
July 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
15 degrees - crisp and sunny. I am way to pale and redheaded for this nonsense. And I had a riding lesson today in this nastiness!! I thought I was going to pass out and tumble off my horse!! :eek: My favourite season is Fall. Chris is half Guyanese so he gets nice and brown, handles the heat way better than I. I have to take doggies out and do gardening after the sun lets up or I am toast - literally.

joeysmama
July 13th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm not usually comfortable until everyone else is complaining of the heat. I was at a dinner the other night and the air conditioning was on, but not blasting. I wasn't cold but I wasn't at all hot. There were paper fans on the table as decorations and I noticed a number of the women fanning themselves with them. But I felt as though it was just a few degrees away from being too cold. So I know that my thermostat is not in sync with most of the population.

If I could get away with it I wouldn't have air conditioning at all. And I'm uncomfortable almost every minute in the winter.

Skryker
July 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Somewhere around 18-20C is good for me. I could happily live in spring/fall temps all year round. Cool enough at night for a long-sleeved shirt, warm enough in the afternoon for capris or jeans with a t-shirt, with a nice breeze-that would be heavenly. No need for heat or a/c.

We used to tease my sister about her 1/2 degree comfort zone-between 73 and 73.5F. Everything else is either freezing or too hot for her!

OntarioGreys
July 14th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I like the 25 degrees without the humidity,

It is strange though how much the climate in southern Ontario has changed in say the last 30 years, back pre 30 years ago we had some really hot summers but no where near the humidity we have now, most of the summer days there was blue skys now it is mostly a hazy gray.

I can't stand the humidity though either. If it gets too humid I start feeling lightheaded and feel like I'm going to pass out. Not cool. Almost passed out at the vet's office the last time I went because of it! Same thing happens in the shower/bath too, especially if I have it as warm as I like it. I first thought it had to do with an iron deficiency but it didn't go away when I was on the super duper Iron pills for three months! I shall have to talk to the doc about it later this month when I go.

Have your doctor check your thyroid levels, it could also because you are not drinking enough water.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Almost passed out at the vet's office the last time I went because of it! At least you would have been in good hands if you had... :D

I agree with OG though (good catch OG!). Last summer I was super hyperthyroid and I was dizzy out of nowhere and lightheaded and HOT. Ask your doc for blood tests.:)

chico2
July 14th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I LOVE the summer,but a comfortable 25C would be perfect,but nothing is perfect,right:confused:
I do not like closing all my windows for the central air,but I am certainly happy we have it,as well as a/c in the car,my pool.
I am outdoors most of the day,spend a lot of time in the pool.
We keep the a/c inside on 25C and it's perfect,but as soon as it's less humid,the air is off and my windows are open.

Golden Girls
July 14th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Fall is the best season :thumbs up This humidity is horrible. I won't take them out in mid day at all ... I don't have central air but 2 are going all day long :pawprint: << I know they appreciate it :D

poodletalk
July 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I like the fall, when it's cool and crisp out.

In the cold of winter, I worry about the poor dogs being outside of long periods of time or tied to a doghouse.

In the summer, I worry about the dog and cats outside for long periods of time, animals trapped inside a car with no windows open and no ac. The poor horses in old MTL pulling the tourists around in this heat and humidty. I worry about the poor dogs running behinds someones bike, their tongue pratically touching the sidewalk and the person doesn't seem to care!

The spring, I think of all the new born kittens that are going to be born anyday and the floods of calls.....

I like the fall weather the best, the leaves are changing colors, it's cool out no to hot or cold. I seem to worry less in the autumn.

chico2
July 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Poodletalk,when you put it that way:sad:
I worry more about the animals in the winter,not finding a warm place,dogs freezing outside 24/7,cats freezing to death.
At least in the summer they can find a shady cooler spot,people are outside,more likely to care about a lost little stray.
But then again,I am not faced with what you are facing all the time and I am certainly greatful for that.

Jackie467
July 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I wish I understood the metric system :o . I don't know what it is in C but it's 105 F here is TX and it still isn't Agust which is the hottest month. But to make things worst the humidity is over 100 percent here. I miss PA and snow!!!

chico2
July 14th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Jackie,105F is about 42 Celsius..wow!!
Where I am in Ontario it's 30C,which is about 85F(I think),add the humidity to that and it's HOT.
Hope you have a/c:fingerscr

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM
holy mother of heat... i just got home and it's hard to breathe, sweat is just running down my back with nowhere to go... darn these montreal appartments with no ventilation! :mad: i definitely have to take the dogs to my brother's lake this weekend, finally got dakotah's life-vest :thumbs up so we can ALL swim! i'll try to take photos!

LibbyP
July 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
LOL HA HA HA I'm QUITE sure the ladies here wouldn't mind if you took more pics of the dogs swimming and your brother of course hee hee hee:o , try and stay cool technodoll, it's :crazy: hot here also I cannot stand it

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 05:51 PM
oh my gawwed, i see some people here have a GREAT memory! :D i can certainly oblige... no harm in looking is there? er, i mean... at the dogs... yeah!

:crazy:

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM
reer...

Bring this weather with you when you go... Tomorrow I'm a fricken bridesmaid and I get sun stroke in less than 10 minutes now- I don't know what I'm going to do... :eek:

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
i hope you have a comfortable dress?! :eek:

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 06:06 PM
It's pink. I look like a piece of pepto bismol candy. And it's tight. I think if I breathe in too hard, I'll pop the zipper.

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 06:08 PM
must. post. photos! :D

seriously, i hope no-one gets heat stroke. specially IN the sun, it's just so suffocating... think cool thoughts... skip the bra? (hate bras in the summer, one more layer to sweat in!) :evil: sigh.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
lol the dress is so tight, no room for a bra even. So that's that... lol
At least my hair will be up...

There will be enough pics of me floating around the world in a pink dress without posting any here...:o

Stacer
July 14th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah this sticky, hot, humid weather is fairly disgusting. I have an outdoor job, so i can't escape it. By the end of the day I am one shiny, sweaty girl. Then I get to go home to a tiny hot apartment with zero aril circulation, we've got AC, but iIfeel too guilty to use it (conservation nut). I might just have to give in today though. I definitely prefer the cooler weather of the late spring and early fall. Those times of year smell better too.

Ha ha Prin, good luck tomorrow.
yes...technodoll take lots of photos of your dogs, and make sure there's some "good scenery" nearby

Frenchy
July 14th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Yes yes,good scenary,the nature;the lake,the trees,the dogs,you know... :rolleyes: And you too Prin,pink dress :thumbs up It's so hot right now,even my lawnmower is not cooperating :mad: I about to smash it on the road.I will have to try again tomorrow morning,I'm expecting people for Mika (my foster) around 10h30 am and I have done nothing,too hot inside to vacuum,now the lawnmower is being a b****, grrrrr.

poodletalk
July 14th, 2006, 08:43 PM
It's pink. I look like a piece of pepto bismol candy. And it's tight. I think if I breathe in too hard, I'll pop the zipper.

Year ago tomorrow I was in an Italian wedding party my dress was pink and tight as well! It was also a boiling hot day, the church felt like an oven and the pictures were taken outside! I was so hot, I couldn't wait for the reception so I could have a cold drink!

OntarioGreys
July 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I heard we are supposed to be hitting 40's here with high humidity Monday of course I am back to work then, with no A/c doing physical labour in a weld shop with a metal roof and sides and hundreds of robotic welding arms also adding heat inside the building :eek: AGHHHHHH!!!!!

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 11:11 PM
:eek: Good luck with that OG!!!

Poodletalk, you have no idea how much I want this wedding to be over. I can feel the heat stroke already. :rolleyes:

http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/snowman/emoticon111.jpg

I had to come back and add this guy:
http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/snowman/71496.gif

ooo and this guy:
http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/snowman/71490.gif

Ok, so I found a new smilie page...

technodoll
July 14th, 2006, 11:47 PM
cool smilies! (no pun intended, i swear!)

ah... doggies right now would LOOOOOOVE to be doing this, that's for sure! (nevermind the possessed look!)... and toss me in there too, for the heck of it, for a couple minutes! wheeeeeee!

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/P1010094-3.jpg

poodletalk
July 15th, 2006, 07:18 AM
you have no idea how much I want this wedding to be over. I can feel the heat stroke already.

Trust me Prin, I know how you feel! I had to be in Montreal North by 6:00 am to get my hair and make up done! I forgot to stretch my shoes for the wedding, (they were very high!) I wanted to scream in the three hour assembly line greeting people. My feet were killing me! The next morning my feet were big and swollen!!!!!

I am sure you will have a great time and the pictures will be great

chico2
July 15th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Awww you poor people,at least I have a choice,I don't have to go out if I don't want too and when I do I'll float around in the pool,the glory of being retired:thumbs up
Still remember though,trying to put pantyhose on(required at work in those days) or take them off on a sticky hot day:mad:
Prin,Pepto Bismol Candy:D :D Good luck today,could not imagine squeezing in to a tight dress!!

mastifflover
July 15th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Prin I will bet your dress is polyester to just to add to the sweat factor. I love the summer and even though I am not a fan of the humidity I would rather sweat than freeze. I do love a nice crisp fall day the kind where a big bulky sweater is just enough. I'm with you Joeysmom I can't stand if it is too cold from AC I am not a big fan of it. Buddy on the other hand hates this weather he would rather be running with Technodolls boy in the snow. I literally have to coax him for a walk some days like yesterday.

mom_to_many
July 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Forecast for Buffalo OK...Sat 106 Sun 107 Mon 106 etc.. 103 102..:yuck: And like Jackie said ..it isn't even August yet! Give me SNOW!! I miss Colorado and the nice cool mountains!!

Hope you survived the wedding Prin! I feel for you! Not only the heat....but Pepto Pink?:p

technodoll
July 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM
not to mention, this hot, humid disgusting weather gives both my dogs the runs, they're hot and miserable, the garbages smell like H*ll and i have to take the trash out every evening, but the city only picks it up twice per week so imagine what is rotting on my back porch between pickups :eek: i have to keep all fruit in the fridge (thank you, fruit flies) and i cannot get rid of the meal moth invasion in my cupboards, no matter what i do. had to throw out everything that was not in a can or bottle, spray the room 3 times, and yet every morning the fly paper is full of the little moths. the heat really encourages crazy breeding and hatching and :yuck:

anyways... that was my rant for the day. Lake tomorrow, i can't wait!! :highfive:

Puppyluv
July 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I don't mind heat.. it's the humidity that kills me. Growing up in dry, dry, Alberta, did not prepare me for Quebec summers. Yesterday was deffinately out of my comfort zone.
I was running this morning at 2 am, and it was pleasent, but still hot, except next to the water, where it is pleasent and just warm, due to the breeze. At that hour I lost only 5 lbs of sweat running, rather than the usual 10.:yuck:

Frenchy
July 15th, 2006, 02:16 PM
What's up with the weather today?Wasn't suppose to be sunny?It's raining now and there is just a bit of thunder,enough for the dogs to be scared and drool everywhere.I finally was able to start my *&??$& of a lawnmower,did half and now this!I don't want to take any chance but is it dangerous to be outside when it's only thunder?There is no lightning.

Puppyluv
July 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM
"Hmm.. I just got home from work and it's a nice day, so I'll take Layla for her walk now" 10 min into our hour long walk, the storm hit. POURING rain. Wind so strong we are not moving forward as we walk... FUN :D:D...:eek: True to my doggy devotion, I didn't turn around early,and slugged through the normally hour long, but due to wind, was 80 min, walk.

OntarioGreys
July 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Was just on CbC new and noticed the temps

Currently in Toronto
Saturday, July 15, 2006 4:00:00 PM EDT

Temp : 31.0C
Mostly Cloudy Wind: NW at 33 km/h
Wind Gusts: 50 km/h
Windchill: N/A
Dew Point: 16.1 C
Humidex: 35.7 C
Relative Humidity: 41.0%
Visibility: 24.1 km

Currently in Montreal
Saturday, July 15, 2006 4:00:00 PM EDT

Temp : 23.6C
Cloudy Wind: SE at 8 km/h
Wind Gusts: N/A
Windchill: N/A
Dew Point: 20.2 C
Humidex: 31.3 C
Relative Humidity: 81.0%
Visibility: 12.9 km

Vaudreuil - Soulanges - Huntingdon
4:16 PM EDT Saturday 15 July 2006
Severe thunderstorm watch for
Vaudreuil - Soulanges - Huntingdon issued

Weather conditions for these regions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms. Some of these storms could produce large hail - damaging winds - heavy rain and intense lightning.

Persons in these regions should be on the lookout for these weather conditions and listen for subsequent watches and particularly warnings which will be issued if severe weather threatens.

This watch is in effect from 4:20 PM to 6:30 PM EDT.

chico2
July 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM
It's still 31C here,but we had a great day..not a cloud in the sky.
I am hoping for an evening thunderstorm,love to sit outside and watch the storm approach:eek:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I like it around 32C - I hate the cold and I dont ski. I am in Vancouver now and finding it chilli its probably maybe 22 here. Hotter is ok as long as I can jump in the pool cool off then go lay in the sun and get all warm again. :)

Also I have been hating going grocery shopping lately - I freeze to death in the grocery store and end up with goose bumps everywhere then you go back outside and its superhot. Also when I was driving down it was too cold with the air conditioning and to hot with it off.

And no matter how hot is I love to take a superhot (dry out your skin hot) hot tub or a bath...I am just wierd guess I am more of a heat person. :D

mastifflover
July 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I know those grocery stores are like freezers you have to have a hoodie with you. I like it around 30 too. As far as I am concerned it could snow 2 days a year Christmas eve and day then summer again

chico2
July 15th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I have to agree,although winter can be very pretty,when it's not freezing rain and sleet.
We spent the day in the pool,even played Badminton in the pool,what a sight!2 retirees:eek:
However,not everyone has a pool and central air and I can understand how unbearable it must be:sad:

Prin
July 16th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Well, the rain was bad for the bride, but great for us (at first).:D It cooled things down and stopped the sunstroke... But it let up just in time for the wedding and to heat everything up for the rest of the night...

k, this is all you get...:D In that pink dress, I came out lookin' like the pillsbury doughgirl in every pic. :D But hey, c'est la vie.:o (I so hope it's not going to be huge).
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Alyssa%20wedding/IMG_1066.jpg

poodletalk
July 16th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Nice picture Prin-you look great.
Where did they get married, the back ground is beautiful!

technodoll
July 16th, 2006, 11:01 PM
i must be colorblind, where's the pink?? :confused: looks pale cream to me! waaaah i wanna see the pepto girl! LOL hope the wedding avoided the heavy rain & thunder, man it was nasty out there yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. did you all have a good time? :)

Prin
July 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah, it was a blast- WAYYYyyyyy too hot, but fun nonetheless.. It was at the Gault House in Mont Ste-Hilaire (it's a nature reserve that's part of McGill). It's on a lake with moutains on the other side. :thumbs up Makes for great pics and the ceremony was outside (started as soon as the rain stopped). My dad got married there a few years ago, and it was great, so I suggested it to my friend and she loved it too.

Oh, the pink comes out whitish in the pics because it reflects a lot of light, but it's like a really intense baby pink...:o Good that the pics don't pic it up so we won't have to remember it.:D Hey, sort of like this color: :p

This is the place: (with me looking like a doughgirl, seeing if there is anything to trip on in my 4 inch heels)
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Alyssa%20wedding/IMG_0828.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Alyssa%20wedding/IMG_0832.jpg

technodoll
July 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM
hey i know that lake! :) used to hike all over mont st-hilaire quite often when i had my dobies, and wandered up there one day by accident. totally beautiful. lots of lovely apple orchards at the base of the mountain, too. 4" heels? :eek: you are the queen! :D

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Prin, you look so pretty!!
the garbages smell like H*ll and i have to take the trash out every evening, but the city only picks it up twice per week so imagine what is rotting on my back porch between pickups
technodoll you are bringing back very vivid memories of living on the Plateau in the summer! Yuck!

Prin
July 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks. :o It's an amazing place to get married and it's far cheaper than most of the hotels in Montreal (which are far more tacky too).:thumbs up I'm the biggest Gault pusher. :D

This is what it looks like at night...
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Alyssa%20wedding/IMG_1397.jpg

poodletalk
July 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Very beautiful the pictures, it reminds me of the place where my cousin got married in ONtario. I am wondering what did the brides dress look like? Was it simple but elegant dress or was it a traditional puffy white dress?

Frenchy
July 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM
There's always something,now I can't see Prin's pictures.I'll try later at home.So it's not as Pepto as you told us?:D how did everyone slept last night? I usually sleep fine but not this time.I was awake from 3 to 4h30.I finally went for a swim at 4h00 am but it didn't help much.But it was pretty cool with the moon and the stars.I tought about coming here but figure at 4h00 am,everybody must had been sleeping.:p

rainbow
July 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I just came across this post...that's what I get for being away from here for awhile.

I like it 25 to 30 degrees celsius with a slight breeze. But I also really like having four seasons as I enjoy them all. :D

Prin, you look really good in the pic but would have preferred a full length shot. And that Pepto-Bismol was really watered down. I was really expecting Pepto-Bismol Pink but that's more like Cotton Candy. :p

Frenchy
July 17th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Now I see you Prin!I was expecting this ; :eek: :yuck: (the dress not you,I already know your a cute young lady) but I don't see any pink!

Brat
July 17th, 2006, 07:41 PM
the lake looks gorgeous and so do you prin :)

Today is WAYYY too hot in Montreal. I can't stand humidity. I like it between 10-25 degrees C.

Frenchy
July 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I second that Brat,my new favorite season is fall.

Prin
July 17th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Prin, you look really good in the pic but would have preferred a full length shot. And that Pepto-Bismol was really watered down. I was really expecting Pepto-Bismol Pink but that's more like Cotton Candy. :p
Yeah, you really would have wouldn't you? No way I'm posting a full shot on here... I look like a balloon. :D I showed a fellow bridesmaid the pics and she burst out laughing.:D That dress isn't very photogenic.:o (And neither am I... especially when the other bridesmaids all weigh under 120...:eek: )

Ok, I'll post this one temporarily.. (better see it quick because it's comin' down soon!)
The dresses are really pink like the ribbons (the same color)... And the bride wore a very slim strapless dress. It was a great dress. No poofy things at this wedding.:D
(Pic removed: I said it was temporary...lol)

(I love how my funky shoes actually stand out less than the "usual" white shoes. Isn't it funny?!)

LibbyP
July 17th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Prin I think you look stunning, Gotta love those funky shoes, way to go girl for pulling off a strapless dress:thumbs up no way could this big B**bed girl could have done that:o Do you want to be one of those 120lbs bridesmaids? Glad you had fun and stayed dry:)

Prin
July 17th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks...

lol they all had to get their dresses altered... :D Can't have one without the other, if you know what I mean.:D

poodletalk
July 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
The wedding party looks great! The dresses are very practical, if you wanted to you can wear the dress again to another wedding.

What I like about these pictures is, everyone looks very natural. It doesn't look like, everyone is wearing alot of make-up, the braids maids look relax and not tierd.