Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Money sucking vacuum cleaners!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I just hate it when no one will listen to me - this is a rant :evil:

We have been having a problem with our built in vacuum for about 4 years now. I know exactly what the problem - but because I am female or something apparently I dont know what I am talking about - even though I use the vacuum every other day and the same thing keeps happening over and over. :evil:

The problem is the vacuum will work for like 20 minutes and will just shut its self off and I will have to go reset it each time. So I have been trying to tell the service people that that is the problem - but they keep on insisting its because the hose is clogged or the filter is dirty - well I clean the filter every few weeks - and it doesnt make a difference whether its dirty or clean it still shuts off by its self. This has been going on for a long time and has cost me lots of money.

So yesterday we decided to try another vacuum place - and yes our hose is shot and we have been duck taping it together because I am spending so much frikkin money fixing it that I cant afford a new one. So this time the hose was clogged again - and the repair person unclogged it and left. So I vacuum again and not even 20 minutes later the thing shorts out again. :mad: So I call the guy back again and I am like its the switch its not the vacuum - so he comes back to the house - and we both agree that yes I need a new hose and power head. Which I needed anyways regardless of the restart button. So $50 service call and $300 for the new hose and power head - which is a way cheaper version than my original Electolux built in - I am back to where I started the vacuum is still shorting out. With all the money I have spent I could probably have bought a brand new system - all because these vacuum people dont listen. :mad:

So I call the guy back again - and this time they are going to replace the restart button for free - which was the problem in the first place - since 4 years ago - if someone would have listened to me the first time I would have some extra cash in my pocket. :evil: :D

technodoll
July 13th, 2006, 05:39 PM
here you go... this should help! :)

http://www.netdisaster.com/

he he heh :evil:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 15th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Thanks Techodoll that link doesnt really work or I am to non tech to figure it out - guess what though I was right. Hubby took the whole cannister into get it looked at - and the serviceman just thought it was something stuck in the hose - he ran the vaccum and it shut it self off after 10 minutes - so now someone finally believes me - this guy said he has never seen this problem before - so now we need a new motor too. :evil:

Puppyluv
July 15th, 2006, 03:54 AM
LOL, nice link TD! (JM- choose a website-preferably the vacuum people) choose a destruction (I chose cow dung, and my school faculty site) Choose mouse or auto (i chose mouse) and click on the screen in the upper center region. (A cow pooed allllll over it)!

That sucks about your vacuum though, and about the crappy service your getting. COMPLAIN!!!!!!! Stir up some sh!t!!!

raingirl
July 15th, 2006, 11:31 AM
based on my limited experience with electricity(I took a few seminars on detecting electrical problems, fixing wiring, etc), I would say it has NOTHING to do with your vacumn. The reset button on the vacumn is just like a...word block, what are those things called?? FUSE...that's what I mean.

There is probably a wiring short somewhere behind your walls where the vacumn connects to your main power in the house. The wiring is probably bad, causing it to short out and restart. Some vacumns have a restart button like yours, but others will just short out to the houses' fuse box.

I would hire an electrician to look at it, because fixing the vacumn won't do anything if it's the wiring in your house.

Puppyluv
July 15th, 2006, 12:03 PM
But Raingirl, she brought the canister into the store/repair place and it shorted out there too... wouldn't that be an awfully big coincidence if it were something in the house?

raingirl
July 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Opps. Didn't read all of the last post.

However, the shorting out at home could be caused by a short in the vacumn and vice versa, or not at all. It's possible that the vacumn is overheating, causing the wiring to overheat and short out. Overheating in the wiring could be have caused damage to the vacumn as well.

I would have the home wiring inspected as well, just in case (if it were me, but I'm a little obsessive about proper wiring).

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 15th, 2006, 03:11 PM
thanks raingirl - hardwood floors are seeming like a good idea right now :D

not sure if we will get the house wiring checked or not it only happens with the vacuum - we are now buying a new motor - which should fix the problem.

...I hope if it doenst it wont be pretty site. :evil: :D