Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nutro Ultra for Dogs

jessymoka
July 13th, 2006, 02:54 PM
When I got my puppy (a 3 month old Papillon)
I was told the food she was eating was Nutro Ultra.

Now maybe I will show ignorance here but... I've never hear of it up until now.
I've heard of Eukanuba, Iams, Science Diet, Purina, Etc. But not this food.
I made it a point to stop at several pet stores who carry higher end dog chow.
Petsmart carries it, Petco carries it... It doesn't seem to be something you can buy at Walmart or Target.
It is considerably more than the other dog chows/puppy chows.

Abby loves it and I will feed her this all of her life, regardless of cost.
I did go to their website... but who wouldn't toot their own horn if you know what I mean. Of course they say it is the best, etc.

How many of you feed this to your dogs/puppies?
How many have had a problem?
Really just any input regarding this would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

Jessica

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
It's the bottom end of holistic foods, IMO. They put a lot of good stuff in there, but also put some of the cost savers and stool hardeners that the cheaper stuff (i.e. Iams, Purina, etc) put in.

It is more expensive, but you will get much better results and you'll feed less than you would on the commercial brands. You also will probably have fewer vet bills than you would have on the other foods.

That said, it isn't the best food out there either. I mean, it's perfectly fine, but you should know, just like you found out that Nutro was better than the ones you already knew, there are better ones yet.:) If you ever decide to switch off nutro to something even better, let us know and we'll help you choose.

Short answer: feeding more holistic (expensive) food definitely worth the money

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM
My experience with it was less than stellar with one dog but good with the other. Depends on the dog really.

jessi76
July 13th, 2006, 04:34 PM
my dog either threw up or had diahrrea on Nutro. Once I switched off, the digestive problems stopped completely. I don't think it's a horrible food, but it didn't work for my dog, and like Prin said, there are much better choices are out there.

mafiaprincess
July 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
A lot of nutro is heavy in multiple forms of rice. A fe good ones and then some less nutritious ones as filler. I was just over analyzing one nutro ultra product on another board for someone and had to stop after the 5 types of rice.

We never had happy poop on nutro either.

jessymoka
July 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Happy poop?????

technodoll
July 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM
LOL ! happy poop = stuff easy to pick up... as opposed to runny poop, cannon butt, hershey squirts... totally normal dog talk :D

jesse's mommy
July 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM
We had Jesse on Nutro for a while, but ended up switching to Wellness and now on Merrick. She loves Merrick the best. As for price, I've found that the Merrick costs less than both the Wellness and the Nutro. I really thought the Nutro would the the lowest cost, but surprisingly it's not. Merrick is a much better food! Jesse did alright on Nutro, but after a while she just didn't like it any longer. We had her on it because we didn't know the area (we just moved here in the beginning of the year), but as soon as we were familiar here we found other places to buy food. Anyway, I'm rambling now -- sorry, but my my point is there are better foods out there and some of them cost less, just shop around. Hopefully that helps.

mafiaprincess
July 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Happy poop..
Techno hit it right on.. but to me happy poop is~
A normal colour
Firm enough it easily is picked up, no scraping in the grass..
No liquid pancakes..
And small. My 23 pound dog was having dane sized poop on lower quality foods nutro included. Wasn't till we hit solid gold did we finally find 'happy poop' and it would probably be happier still on raw, but that doesn't fit my lifestyle to try right now.

Puppyluv
July 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
When Layla was on Nutro (when I first got her) she was 30 lbs and pooping 6-8 HUGE poops a day. She sheds a lot still, but it was ridiculous how much she shed before. She stunk, her breath was bad, and her fur was coarse. I swithced to Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato, and the change was drastic. I rcently switched to raw, and the change, while not drastic, was worth it.
If you're willing to pay for Nutro, I would shell out a few more dollars and buy something better.

Also, as an ex.: Iworked out how much each product would be necessary for the average 70 lb dog and compared the cost.

Purina - $1.92 per day (5 cups per day)
IAMS - $1.90 per day
Wellness - $1.37 per day (2 cups per day)

Skryker
July 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
"Happy Poop"-I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's a pretty darn accurate term, mafiaprincess!

Skryker
July 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Also, as an ex.: Iworked out how much each product would be necessary for the average 70 lb dog and compared the cost.

Purina - $1.92 per day (5 cups per day)
IAMS - $1.90 per day
Wellness - $1.37 per day (2 cups per day)

When I did the math on food, I ended up with a similar savings- although the higher quality food was almost twice the per kilo price, the dogs were only eating about 1/4 as much, so the better food was far cheaper in the long run.

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, when I think of my two eating at least 7.5 cups of Euk back in the day compared to 4.5 cups of Wolf King a day combined, whatever the cost, I'm just glad their bellies aren't that full anymore. Can you imagine how it feels to eat that much food? :yuck:

And it's such a mish-mash of starches (the majority in commercial foods), carbs and protein, that it would take forever to digest too. So you're sitting there with your roast beef and potato holiday dinner in you with your top button unbuttoned every day all day. Not so fun.

But then you feed half the amount of this holistic stuff and you see their energy level rise. :thumbs up

Plus, I was at the vet at least 2 times a month for one dog or the other or both and now, it's about 3 times a year including the check up. That's savings and a half, IMO. :D I mean, not only for the money, but the stress your dog goes through just being at the vet...

CiaoBella
August 17th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I had a yellow lab on Nutro Max and her stools were firm but she shed alot more than normal. I then tried Nutro Lamb and Rice thinking it was an allergy.Later I switched over to Royal Canin and then Solid Gold with better results, less shedding .As the others pointed out, Nutro is a good food but there are better ones out there and not that more expensive, maybe $5.00-$7.00 more per bag.:thumbs up

vfrohloff
August 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Just to add to what CiaoBella said, it may cost $5 to $7 more per bag of better quality food but you have to feed less of it so it ends up being less expensive. For example, I used to have my dogs on Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice (it should be called Rice with Lamb). It was $43.99 for a 40 lb bag and I had to feed Benny 4 cups of that a day to maintain his weight. He is now on Holistic Blend Lamb and Rice that costs $53.99 for a 35 lb bag but I only have to feed him 2 1/2 cups per day. I end up with a much better quality food that costs me less.

rainbow
August 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I used to feed my dogs Nutro as well but they all threw up yellow bile. Once I switched to better quality it stopped.

As the others have said, you feed less so therefore it actually costs less. And also, you have fewer trips to the vet so you save there too. :D

MyBirdIsEvil
August 19th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Walnut was on Nutro Ultra for awhile. She started out on Science Diet because we mistakenly thought it was a good food since the vet sold it. Soon I noticed that it had peanut hulls and other stuff in it :yuck: .
We went to Petsmart while we were visiting family out of state and the best food they had was Nutro Ultra, she did A LOT better on it than Science Diet, but once we started researching food more we switched her to something better.
So far she's been on Nutro, DVP, Solid Gold, and Chicken Soup (her current food 'cause I could get it in town).

I'd say she did best on the Dick van Patten, 2nd best on the Solid Gold, and Ok but not spectacular on the Chicken Soup and Nutro.
Her energy levels, coat and stuff were good with Nutro, but her digestion was crap, and on the Chicken Soup her digestion is ok but her coat doesn't look as good and neither of my dogs are building muscle like they should be.
Also she's shedding and getting reddish spots on her skin again, so I think she may be allergic to chicken since it was in the Nutro too, and though she wasn't shedding she still had the red spots.
Also it seems like they have to eat an awful lot of this food, which wasn't the case with the DVP and Solid Gold.

Currently I have some Timberwolf Organics foods on the way for my doggies to try out, so we'll see how that goes.

Mia101
November 14th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Nutro Ultra is a 4 star good, and I think it's a good food. However, there are 5 star foods that are actually cheaper. You just have to go to the feed store to get them.

My dog likes Nutro better, and she has happier poop, but she does better on Canidae. Slightly less happy poop, to me it's due to lack of stool hardeners, not a worse food. A bit of softness, I'm willing to pay that price for a better food with more meat, less rice, and some other not great ingredients.

And it's cheaper. However, she is eating half and half because Nutro is free right now:thumbs up

http://www.nutroproducts.com/yourfamily/