Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travelling by air with your pet...

tangerine
July 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Has anyone flown with their dog in cabin on a plane. I am considering bringing Jackson with us on a short flight rather than leave him at a kennel for the long weekend in August...The diameters for West Jet seem to be fairly small. I'm gonna have to try him in some soft-sided carriers. Also, I have read that short nosed breeds can have difficulty breathing with the pressure changes. Anyone know anything about this? Would it be better to be without him for a couple days--even though it would break my heart! He's never been left alone over night!

rainbow
July 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I've never flown dogs on a plane but I have also read that short-nosed breeds have a harder time breathing because of the air pressure changes. If it were my dog I would find a good kennel to put him in for a couple of days or, better yet, someone (friend or family) you could leave him with. :pawprint:

Puppyluv
July 16th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I'm about the only person on here who is for flying their dogs, but I don't think it's worth it for a long weekend. The stress on the dog is too great to warrent it. I will gladly fly my girl, even though she has to go in cargo, but I'll only do it if I'm gone for a week or more.
Also, in your other thread, you mentioned that he doesn't have the best of manners. If you do decide to fly with him, please take into consideration the other passengers. Also, if people complain, you will have to put him in cargo on the way home, which will mean having to buy another crate, and unplanned for events.

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I have flown with YY and she is a good traveller. So I am lucky! But your pet needs to be well adjusted to his or her carrier and you need to make arrangements with the airline well in advance of the travel. Often, only one pet will be allowed on any one flight and the pet MUST stay in his or her carrier. Air Canada recently discontinued the practice of allowing pets in the cabin and there are too many accidents and problems in cargo for me personally.

If it just for a weekend, I agree with Puppyluv - it is hardly worth the effort. Your dog will be happier at home.

tangerine
July 17th, 2006, 10:19 PM
thanks for the responses, and I have actually thought about it and think it is best to have him stay in a kennel while we are gone...the last thing I wanna do is stress him out un-necessarily! anyone from the GTA? and know of a good kennel I can use? I have called one so far and he needs an interview. I'm sure he will be just fine, but I know nothing other than what it says on their website...