Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Birth Annoucement!

The_Zoo
July 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Hi Everyone!
I'm Happy to announce that our Beautiful Queen Mindy:queen: gave birth to 5 strong and gorgeous kittens last night!Wow! It was amazing! I never in my life had that experince before! Mum and babes are doing fantastic! :pawprint: We are all in aw of her!The next weeks should be fun as we have gone to family of cats of 3 to 8,,, so happy were Cat lovers!

poodletalk
July 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I have read your profile, it says that you have indoor cats and two stray outdoor cats.

Working and volunteering in rescue, theirs so MANY animals especially cats being born and not enough homes. Many of them end up getting euthanized because of no one wants to adopt them which is the truth.

Maybe this is the wrong board to post pictures of new born kittens and expect oohs and aws...since so many of us are "pro spay and neuter." and the rescue workers on this board are receiving non stop phone calls and emails about people no longer wanting their animals and we are bursting at the seams at shelters with unwanted kittens, pups, adult cats and dogs.

Sine they are born, I hope you take the following suggestions to heart:

If this litter was from the stray cats, I would suggest that you contact a rescue so they can trap and sterilize these cats. If this litter was from your indoor cat, please get them sterilized ASAP!

If you are adopting these kittens out, please ask for a fee that covers the cost of ther sterilization and vacinations. (Perhaps someone on the board can refer you to a vet in Ontario that has low sterilization and vacination rates.)

Thank-you

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
She was supposed to be heading to the vet to be neutered: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22223
I don't know what happened... She's just a baby too..

But since they're here already, congrats on the kitties.:)

The_Zoo
July 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Not Nice...Do you think that everyone is out to litter the world with kittens! for your information, My profile has changed.. I have 3 cats and now 5 babies! All indoors all healthy and,,,,,,,,MINDY even had Pre natal visits! Does that sound like someone who just didnt give a crap and let her get Prego..I can assure you I did what I felt in my heart was humane! She had her appointment at the Vet to be spayed and I wasn''t able to get in for 2 weeks we kept it as she wasnt in heat at the time and we just finished paying for Mork her brother.. We Cancelled her appointment when we discovered that she was pregnate.I would never do that for her..When the vet said we can still do it but it will cost you extra I was discusted!I wouldn't do it to myself! We have excepted our responsiblities as pet owners. We are so in love with all our Cats and take pride in them. I posted my annoucment because this is a place where we can share our joys and sorrows..Mindy will be spaded and this will be her only litter..We just love them and wanted to share our joy im heart broken and sicken ,,,:sad:oh and In case your wondering Max got very ill and passed away and our Bunny has been adopted...she was only a foster!We still miss Max !

dtbmnec
July 13th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Not very fuzzy like when they first enjoy the world are they? Hehe.

Five kitties eh? I have two kittens myself and ummm the demons (I swear they're possessed....in a good way) do not stop! I can tire them out playing with the lazer pointer and everything and they'll stillll run around and chase the flies! lol It's rather funny sometimes to watch too!

They look cute and good luck! lol (Hopefully they all look different enough that you can tell them all apart. I should have gotten a different colored rescue, but I had a soft spot for black kitties. If I see them from the back and from far away I have minor issues telling them apart!)

Sorry to hear about Max. :( I hope your bunny was better trained than the one we "borrowed" for the weekend (it was our grade 5 teacher's pet but it was kept at the school for the school year along with some gerbils) from the school/teacher. Grisboule II had a thing for chewing holes in jeans.:eek:

Megan

catsnatcher-CDN
July 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
It's always such a sad event when more kittens are born into a world where only a handful (including you) reach out in their best interest.

You shouldn't take it personally. I know your joy comes from your first experience with newborn kittens. But you post your picture in a forum filled with people who face cages full of kittens everyday, alive and dead, and just want it to stop.

The great thing is now that they are in your care, they will all be neutered accordingly and you will help break this sad cycle.

Congrats on taking on that responsibility.

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Very true catsnatcher... 3 kittens at the vet's office without a mom waiting for me to pick them up tomorrow... so yes, it's hard to welcome newborns when there are so many that die daily or that we have to walk by and say, sorry little one, can't afford to help you today.

I understand your joy in having new little ones to love, just bear in mind our sadness that they need not have been born and a few more could have been saved instead.

Frenchy
July 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Sorry but I second all the rescue people.I never answer any post from people who are soo happy to have a litter,except now,I just can't shut up.Our rescue has a hard time finding fosters for all the dogs in need right now.There are really no need to bring other cats and dogs into the world right now.If you wanted more cats,they are plenty up for adoption,I guess they'll just have to hope someone else will adopt them or else it's euthanasia.

mafiaprincess
July 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Think most people were avoiding the post to stay polite..

I only have to look at all the faces on petfinder of cats and dogs of every age imaginable, many of which will never find homes. I have little joy for another accidental litter that didn't have to happen.

Glad you plan to take care of them, but it was needless.

coppperbelle
July 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I look at it this way. Your five little kittens just took the place of five other kittens looking for homes. I am sorry you took offense but every day too many dogs and cats are put to sleep because there is no one to adopt them.
Please have all your kittens neutered/spayed before adopting them out.
This post saddens me. :sad:

The_Zoo
July 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM
WOW! Im sitting here with tears of the harsh words,,..Our kittens would never be given away to anyone..I just caint believe that I who is very active in my community and is doing my part to teach children about respecting the Earth and all creatures that are in is subject to such ridicule! I am sorry and I obviously made a wrong choice when I became a memeber here! Which was also for an educational purpose!AS I do Own a Freecycle site and I do not allow Pet Postings of any kind and I like to keep up to date on so that I can add more information..articals..etc..Im so flabbergasted as I just took 15 kids to a Rescue to teach them about pet responsibility and ownership!A Peta member I am!I'm doing everthing for my little girl who wants to be a Vet.. Yes she's only 6 but her passion is true and it has been since she could barely talk!Our Vets love it as she goes in and helps the anmials ..she was so good when one of our cats broke there paw she was right in there helping them get x rays and wrap him!How many peole take there cats tot he vet once a week to have there paw re wrapped ,,,most people are happy to let the cat be..I will cancell my member ship as I find that having to explain my self is obsered!I have a rule here.. andit is this.. it pertains to my children and evertyhing.. "ALWAYS ASK ONE MORE QUESTION"I wish you well in you fight..
God Bless
Stepheny!:(

Bearsmom
July 14th, 2006, 09:14 AM
You could probably have read through some (if not most) of the threads, PARTICULARLY THE RESCUE THREADS to see what those who work for and run rescues cope with with those who feel the need to continually and irresponsibly add to the overpopulation problem. Sure, baby kitties are cute, and the miracle of birth is an awesome thing, but, those fuzzy baby kitties grow up and no one wants them any more(since you're a member of PETA and know so much about rescues you should already know about all this).

Go ahead and not post here anymore, you're going to face several posters on this board that won't miss your defensiveness.

PS Get your cats spayed/neutered asap, it's ridiculous it hasn't been done yet.

mastifflover
July 14th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Well I am sorry that you feel that way but a lot of members here work, volunteer and have rescue animals. We are never happy to see more kittens and pups brought into the world when there are so many out there needing homes. I did not respond because I did not want to say what I really thought. I am glad that you are taking responsibility for them and not just finding any old home that will take them. You are more than welcome to stay and now you know that this is one subject we should avoid and I am sure we can get along we do have tons of information between all of us here.

The_Zoo
July 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM
My Cats are Spayed and Neutered!
We got the Kittens in December and could be spayed until all there shots were given ..We had Mork spayed in March and Max was so ill after after a Outdoor cat ripped him apart there was no saving him.. very tramatic..so we had to put him down.. Mindy's Apointment was scheduled.. I understand that you think my kittens are "litter" But I cannot be God and create some kind of Divine Interventon!I will not take the life of any creature. It is against everything I am!Really I do Understand.. and I am taking the responsiblities for my actions I weighed the pros and cons along time ago and my Moral issue one out..If they are here for the rest of their lives Im ok with that!Why do you think Im so happy. Some people have tons of Dogs.I have Cats.. All babies will be VET Checked ,,, and Spay and neuter are a high priotry!Im Not an IDIOT!I read post and I wish I could do more..Im doing what I can and thats whats inportant!:grouphug:

jawert1
July 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Being a PETA member does not make a responsible pet owner, you've done a great disservice by allowing another set of mouths to feed enter this world, in spite of your best intentions to keep and raise these kittens. I understand the glow of being involved in a birthing process, but as others here involved in rescue work have stated, watching little ones relegated to death sentences because you've decided you're against spaying a pregnant female is disingenuous at best. I really hope you get all of these kittens spayed/neutered as soon as possible, if you are truly an animal lover, you will, even if that means putting your human disgust aside.

alenka_ru_ca
July 14th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Hello, everyone!

I don't really know all of you here on the forum, but I feel you shouldn't attack someone the way you did. Especially, when some of you have purebred dogs and cats. What about them? Should the purebred with pedigrees be neutered/spayed as well? Then what about "If it's not a mastiff it's just a dog!"? Should the "just a dog" be sterilized? or the mastiffs too?
There are many people SEEKING OUT the purebred animals; hence, it makes me think they are not overpopulated.....

I do agree with you though. The strays and the "domestic" cats should be neutered/spayed, unless a litter is fully planned for. Such as I understand is the case here - the owner will keep and sterilize all of her animals, including the babies. I believe, that there are some litters that are WANTED. And, yes, as you, I think people SHOULD adopt from shelters and rescues. However, no matter how hard we all try, majority will want a purebred with their personality somewhat "guaranteed".

Our mission should be to EDUCATE people about their responsibilities as pet owners. That is, they should sterilize their pet, unless they can themselves accept the responsiblity for future litters. And, if the person who put up this post, is taking responsibility for these little ones, all the best wishes to her. Of course, if she is planning to just give them to a shelter or a rescue to be put up for adoption, this litter should never have existed.

If this person is ok with spaying her cat, why not an abortion? People do it everyday.... why not the cat? And, I can understand the feelings here, don't get me wrong. But if for my kittens I had to choose between horrible fate of being put to sleep after sitting in a shelter cage for weeks, or never existing at all, I would choose the latter. Once a real life already exists, once you're looking into someone's eyes, it hurts much more to kill....

LavenderRott
July 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I must say that I am rather dissapointed in some of the members here. She had an appointment to get her cat fixed but the cat was discovered to be pregnant at the time of the appointment. Like that hasn't happened to someone who has come here before. The poor woman made a mistake. Instead of berating her for what a lousy person she is (and from reading her posts I don't think that is the case at all) why don't we spend some time letting her know what kinds of things she needs to ask an adoptive family and finding her a vet that would be willing to do a low cost early spay/neuter so that these kittens won't add to the population down the line.

She didn't say that spaying her cat was disgusting to her - she was upset at the thought of aborting a litter. I have talked to many a "rescue" person who will not abort a litter based on their moral values.

As for The Zoo (sorry, I didn't get your real name) I think that your kittens are just adorable. Please make sure they stay with momma until they are 8 to 10 weeks old.;)

But before you pay your PETA dues again - you might want to do some independant research. The only animals that PETA wants to help are human animals.

katolack
July 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Am I the only one who understands what she is saying? She wanted to get the cat fixed, but it was sick and could not be done. I wish my vet had told me that a cat shouldnt be fixed when sick, as my cat died during this simple operation. Once the cat was better she had an appointment to get the cat neutered and it got pregnant before the appointment.

And once she found out the cat was pregnant she had a choice, to abort it or keep them, obviously she is against abortion so she decided to care for the cats herself. I highly doubt she was in the market to go and adopt 5 cats from one of your shelters, but she felt it necessary to take care of what she had coming...

You guys are hillarious. I really dont see what else she could have done other then not getting the cat in the first place and leaving it in one of your shelters to be put down?

BMDLuver
July 14th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry you feel this way but I have to step in here and point something out. On any given day, a PB can be found in rescue. The sadness lies in someone having to have papers for that PB or guarantees. Papers honestly mean diddly squat in most instances. Yes the dog is pedigreed but that does not guarantee death due to cancer, huge vet bills due to ED or HD or other costly illnesses or defects will never occur. Most true breeders work to the best of their ability to rule out these problems however they still do exist widely in each breed. So unless you are planning to be a breeder yourself or show a dog to it's full potential, papers schmaper.

On the note of it hurts more to kill once you've looked into their eyes.. that does not justify adding to the problem by creating more lives. Great, you will take care of what you allowed to happen but not allowing it to happen is most likely a better way to go. Why not take 5 unwanted lives from a shelter.. it's so easy to find baby kittens needing feeding, loving and nurturing... why not go that route? Maybe it's a moral debate for some but creating a life to allow a life to die should be a moral dilema as well, shouldn't it?

Hello, everyone!

I don't really know all of you here on the forum, but I feel you shouldn't attack someone the way you did. Especially, when some of you have purebred dogs and cats. What about them? Should the purebred with pedigrees be neutered/spayed as well? Then what about "If it's not a mastiff it's just a dog!"? Should the "just a dog" be sterilized? or the mastiffs too?
There are many people SEEKING OUT the purebred animals; hence, it makes me think they are not overpopulated.....

I do agree with you though. The strays and the "domestic" cats should be neutered/spayed, unless a litter is fully planned for. Such as I understand is the case here - the owner will keep and sterilize all of her animals, including the babies. I believe, that there are some litters that are WANTED. And, yes, as you, I think people SHOULD adopt from shelters and rescues. However, no matter how hard we all try, majority will want a purebred with their personality somewhat "guaranteed".

Our mission should be to EDUCATE people about their responsibilities as pet owners. That is, they should sterilize their pet, unless they can themselves accept the responsiblity for future litters. And, if the person who put up this post, is taking responsibility for these little ones, all the best wishes to her. Of course, if she is planning to just give them to a shelter or a rescue to be put up for adoption, this litter should never have existed.

If this person is ok with spaying her cat, why not an abortion? People do it everyday.... why not the cat? And, I can understand the feelings here, don't get me wrong. But if for my kittens I had to choose between horrible fate of being put to sleep after sitting in a shelter cage for weeks, or never existing at all, I would choose the latter. Once a real life already exists, once you're looking into someone's eyes, it hurts much more to kill....