Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help for my dog

Baggio
July 13th, 2006, 12:06 AM
My dog has been moping and whinning for over a week now- we went away for 5 days and he stayed home ( with family) we thought he was giving us the silent treatment when we got back-but it continues. He is not himself at all- he usually follows us around the house-now he hides under the tables. he wimmpers and whines and growls- when l walk him he seems okay -but not his usual barking . We are very concerned can anyone help!
Very upset about our dog

Baggio
July 13th, 2006, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=Baggio]My dog has been moping and whinning for over a week now- we went away for 5 days and he stayed home ( with family) we thought he was giving us the silent treatment when we got back-but it continues. He is not himself at all- he usually follows us around the house-now he hides under the tables. he wimmpers and whines and growls- when l walk him he seems okay -but not his usual barking . We are very concerned can anyone help!
Very upset about our dog

badger
July 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM
He sounds traumatized. Maybe something happened while you were away that frightened him. Maybe he got bullied or mistreated. Give him lots of attention and kisses and tell him you're sorry for leaving him :).
You could try some Rescue Remedy, a herbal mixture that helps calm animals down. It's available at the health food store; the brand is Bach Herbal Remedies.
If he develops any physical problems or stops eating, definitely take him to the vet.

mastifflover
July 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Maybe try showering you dog with attention some one on one time. But it does sound like something has traumatized him like Badger said maybe fireworks?

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Sometimes (but still rarely) dogs act like that when their owners come home, even if there was no trauma... I'd say just go about your old routine with him and see if he catches on that you're home for good.

If he reacts badly to your family (the ones that kept him) then you have a serious problem...:eek: