Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it normal for someone to dream about his or her late pet after almost a year?

PunkMaister
July 12th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I have to ask because after all this time recently I did dream about my beloved late baby Kenny.

In the dream I was in this really dark area (seemingly late at night) and all of a sudden I see this dog running around and it was totally identical to Kenny, not only that he was running around the place like a gazelle just like he used too when he was younger, not the slow running pace he had in his last days with us at home before he disapeared. Anyway I call on to him and he comes running right up to me, just as he used too, needless to say I hugged him right there hard and just didn;t let go until I woke up....

The only time I had a dream about him was shortly after his disappearance.

So anyway is this normal or what?

technodoll
July 12th, 2006, 10:43 PM
i would say yes, it is normal... some part of you is still grieving and missing your friend. after my female dobie, Java, went over the bridge, i dreamt about her for years, very often, very vividly - it was like she was still here with me. even today, 11 years later, i often slip up and call my little girl "java" by mistake. i can only hope it means her spirit is still that close to me :angel:

Prin
July 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Yup, I still have dreams about my old dobie and my old yellow lab once in a while. They represent important eras of my life, so I'm not surprised to see them sometimes.

Skryker
July 13th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I still dream about pets that have passed on-all of them, even the rabbit we had. Pets are family, and a big part of our lives. Why wouldn't we dream about them? And even more so, I still put my hand down beside my chair for my cats that have passed from time to time. I can tell the difference, because they were smaller than my current cat, so I catch myself at it. And my brother still puts his ice cream dish on the floor for our Himmie (not that his current 3 cats mind that habit at all!).

Grief is a strange thing, too. I don't know the circumstances in which you lost Kenny, but it does sound very much as though you still greive greatly. I have a theory that our minds protect us from overwhelming grief by only expressing as much as we can handle at any one time. So, maybe you are in a place where you can heal a bit more right now, especially as you were dreaming not of loss, but of happier memories of Kenny, and how much you loved him. Perhaps look at the dream as a healing gift?

mom_to_many
July 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I have always heard when you dream about a deceased loved one, it is their way of saying "Hello, we are ok, and still with you in spirit" Whether this is true or not...it's nice to "see" them one more time happy and healthy! :)

Shaykeija
July 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Yes I still dream of all the pets I have lost. Sophie, Shayker, Akeija, Salasa, Charlie, Dallas, Peanut. I see them often in dreams.

BoxerRescueMTL
July 13th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I always dream about my pets that have passed away. The night Monty died, I dreamt he was sitting on the couch and gave me kisses when I went up and hugged him. Another time I dreamt he was sleeping beside me in bed and we were cuddling like we often did. I like to think they are popping in to say hi and that they are still around, and they love us :)

Frenchy
July 13th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Mom to many;that's what I believe in.They just want to say hi! So PunkMaister,I believe Kenny just wanted to say "hi and look how happy I am!Everything is ok,don't worry about me."

LL1
July 14th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I think it is normal and my deepest sympathies on your loss.

PunkMaister
July 19th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for your kind words and your responses to this thread.

I know that even though a long time has passed I will always miss him as much as I do any other loved one that has passed away. But yes it has gotten a bit easier with time.
One thing that I learned quite a while back is to never, ever take anything for granted and cherish every moment you have with those that you love whether they walk on 2 or 4 legs...

Regards and God Bless...

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
July 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I think it is normal. I still dream about the rats that have passed on ten years ago.

Maya
July 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I was just thinking about asking the same question because I still dream about one of my cats I lost 15 years ago. In the dreams it's always similar, they are alive and well and I try to spend the few moments with them that I can because I know it's a dream. At first with my kitty I lost a couple of years ago I didn't always know it was a dream and I would wake up very sad to realize it was true that he really was gone.