Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Babygates (for dog) .. Own one you like?

mafiaprincess
July 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Do you have a brand you like best and why?

We broke the bar off a wooden one a year and a half ago, rendered it useless.. She climbed 1 from petsmart returned it she jumped the next one.. climbed the 4 ft x pen..

So finally a year and a half later I think we have respect for a gate finally.. And I'd like to work on giving her some freedom.. and am looking at needing 2 or more gates, that I think she won't climb/jump and if she does I think she's old enough to learn it isn't acceptable now..

So I was wondering where you bought yours, and if you like it enough.. Tried second hand stores first no luck, even little kid baby second hand ones so if I'm going new I probably can't afford the 3 gates I wanted to get.. And will have to make do with 2 for now.

Don't need the $100 metal swing gates.. Plastic will do.

I'm just not sure where is the 'best' place to go purchase a new one now..

phoenix
July 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM
hi mp
we got ours at walmart. about 28$ i think? don't know the brand, they are grey plastic. they can either be anchored with screw in brackets onto the door jamb or just stick on with pressure. Very pleased with them, but of course they only work if your dog has respect for them ;)

OntarioGreys
July 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I bought mine in the baby department at walmart too

LibbyP
July 12th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hey mafiaprincess, I have two gates both I got from yard sales under $10, look for ones that say baby items or in the classifieds in the paper, but like everyone else said they have to respect them, for them to work(naughty girl Cider) my big girl won't touch them and she could easily knock them down if she wasn't such a chicken. Good luck on your search:thumbs up

mafiaprincess
July 12th, 2006, 11:00 PM
At 4 months she could land on a 3 ft desk from a stand still.. Sheer will got her over every barricade.. And she seemed too young to make the point to quit it.
So she got confined to a crate or had to be with a family member.. She's made strides with a load of training..

She took 27" jumps before I could fix them at the agility dog park the other week by choice on her own..

The 'gate' she respects in my bedroom door even though it's a 16" rubbermaid lid she could blow over if she wanted...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/IMG_0102.jpg

The 'gate' used in varying places downstairs she respects for a while and paws over..
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/IMG_0103.jpg

I think we could work on respect now. I'd like to not have to tie her to varing points.. She's like 22 months and improving but not as good as most dogs I know..
Seems babygates are a hot commodity right now.. Pain in the bum to find them used.. and I'd like them soon, rather than hunting all summer. :(
But I'll try the paper for a few weeks, or at least buy 1 from walmart. Thanks guys.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 12th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I still have baby gates from when my kids were actually babies. I think they are Grayco or Safety first dont really remember. I have used it once on Halloween to keep Joey away from the kids and from going out the front door - which he doenst seem interested in - have you tried a kids consignment store to see what they carry. :D

mafiaprincess
July 12th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Tried second hand stores first no luck, even little kid baby second hand ones so if I'm going new I probably can't afford the 3 gates I wanted to get..

Been to the two in town. Looked at craigslist. But being that I'm not 'in TO' It makes it a pain to go try to get anything. Easier to just go buy new sadly..

greaterdane
July 13th, 2006, 12:19 AM
I use the grey plastic ones...so far just the chihuahuas can scale them, but they are not the concern. It keeps the danes where they are supposed to be, and I keep it high enough that ozzy can't go over or under it. They were $25.99 at petsmart :)

surveychick
July 13th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I have one i love from Sears --Safety First i believe is the brand and it fixes to the wall and swings like a door. It is plastic and has plexiglass instead of "grilles" so nothing to stand on! It was about $79 i believe and worth it for the swing door option.
Cheers
Nicole

jessi76
July 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I have a gate I LOVE! it's a homemade gate. Piece of plywood, a couple hinges, some screws, and a latch. works great & was cheap (well, for me... my bf is a woodworker so he whipped it up for us)

I love it because it's a solid FLAT surface. Tucker is a climber, so it was the only one he couldn't climb as a pup. we have it low enough that my cats can jump over it easily - to escape the dog - and the latch is super-easy. It's a swinging door concept.

The other one I have is more "accordian" style (pulls out, and latches to other side of doorway), heavy duty plastic. it's taller than our wood gate too - it's a bit tough for me to step over (I'm only 5'1") but Tucker can climb that one because it's plastic-meshing.

mafiaprincess
July 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Had a $5 off coupon for Petsmart. Local one no longer carries affordable gates...
I am TEED. Wasted trip. Useless employees as per usual. $60-160 gates.. mainly wire/ wood ones. We had one of those I broke it. I don't need another. Or a taller gate I can't walk over. Oi.

Walmart it is I guess. Don't get why this is so freaking difficult..

I'd love swinging gates.. But since this is an attempt at giving her some freedom, I don't want any of them attached to the wall so I can limit or expand what she gets based on how she wants to behave.. Otherwise a swinging gate would be nice and easy..

Mahealani770
July 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Hey there! I recently started receiving this magazine with every kind of pet need that you could possibly think of. We just ordered a baby gate for Nicky from their website because none of the gates at Walmart or anywhere else were the correct length or height. Go to www.drsfostersmith.com and then go to "dogs" at the top, and then "containment", which you'll see from a long list on the left hand side. You will get a discount on your first order and they always have great coupons. Hope you find this link useful.
~M~

glasslass
July 13th, 2006, 02:28 PM
When Den-Den was a wee pup, I bought a plastic, mesh type that seemed to work. He didn't try to jump it, just danced on his back legs a few minutes and then settled down. He was quiet for several minutes and I thought he had gone to sleep. Great! About 15 mins and he came running to see me. He had chewed a hole through it. He was so proud of himself.

mafiaprincess
July 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
OMG Glasslass.. I thought super jumper was bad....

I just bought a supergate III from Walmart. Still need at least one more..
They had a cute one for small dogs with a 'door' in the gate so the dog could go through. Know it might be a disaster here though. Roar..
We'll see how this one goes before buying more whether the same or different..

BernerLver
July 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM
MP: I see you are from Whitby (I'm in Ajax) so you might try one of the Superstores. I got mine there and am very happy with them. We got the ones that will fit between doorways with pressure but also have feet so that they can stand on their own.

I like them for my guys but they are stangely respectful of gates. A piece of cardboard will do in a pinch. Bailey is esp. "spacially challanged". If something is even partially covereing a doorway he just lays down until the path is clear. Very odd dog ;)

mafiaprincess
July 13th, 2006, 07:33 PM
If she hadn't self rewarded with the cardboard I think we'd still have respect for it.. It's been a learnign process, and she respects that rubbermaid lid though she could clear it half asleep.. But she gets grumpy about being blocked somewhere away from people at times and pushes through that carboard now. She does leave it a while and then has a fit though.. It is progress of sorts.

Thanks for the tip. Was in the same plaza as the superstore today too :rolleyes: But I could use more than one.. This one I got is a 5 way gate, but I need pressure mounted so I can change the space she gets.. Least for now.

greaterdane
July 13th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Had a $5 off coupon for Petsmart. Local one no longer carries affordable gates...
Useless employees as per usual.

LOL I take personal offense to that ;)

Bearsmom
July 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM
My absolute favourite is the Evenflo extra wide pressure fit baby gate-it fits doorways up to 60" wide, and is WASHABLE. Got 2 from Canadian Tire, they're about $60 each, but well worth the money!

Bushfire2000
July 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I know you want a pressure gate so you can move it around I bought mine for $11 dollars at an auction. Garage sales are great places to find them too.

I mounted ,with hinges, the head board of an old crib in the doorway it makes a half door and was actually very atractive.
I have an old baby gate (wooden slats and hinges) mounted in the doorway (60inches wide) between the kitchen and the rest of the house and a pressure one in the hallway. Keeps everybody happy and safe.

mummummum
July 15th, 2006, 11:32 AM
My absolute favourite is the Evenflo extra wide pressure fit baby gate-it fits doorways up to 60" wide, and is WASHABLE. Got 2 from Canadian Tire, they're about $60 each, but well worth the money!

That's the one I have - may not be the most elegant of home furnishings but it's the only one I could find to fit my extra-wide hallway. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the rubber marks on the walls. On the other hand, I won't have to replaster and paint holes when we can finally dispense with it.

Bearsmom
July 16th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I found the same thing, but if you put a piece of paper between the gate rubber and the frame (or wall), it seemed to help.

mafiaprincess
July 16th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Ooh Bearsmom, does that help keep the paint on your wall?

The kitchen needs to be repainted anyhow, but it doesn't need my help in making it worse..