Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing Millie the Beagle!

BoxerRescueMTL
July 12th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hi everyone!!! I wasn't going to post or tell anyone until she is actually here -but I am TOO EXCITED!!!! We are adopting a new dog and picking her up in Ottawa on Sunday :crazy: We are naming her Millie and she is a very senior Beagle and now an honorary Boxer ;) She is in a kill pound in Lakeshore, Ontario and being transported to us by a bunch of very dedicated, kind rescuers. I first heard about her after reading the "Interview at the Dog Pound" that is circulating and was still bawling from that when I heard that she needed help. So the little girl's timing was impeccable. Here's a pic, it is low quality and from the pound - but I will be posting some pics of her settling in when she gets here on Sunday! Yaaaaaaay!! How cute is she?!?!!?!?
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/20726.jpg

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM
wooohooo!Congrats on the new furkid.Older rescues are the best!:thumbs up She looks so cute!Can't wait to hear all about her and to see the pics!

we3beagles
July 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Congrats! she is so beautiful even in low res. Thank God for you and your great sense of timing. Another beagle rescue!!! Yeah!:thumbs up

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Well she is a very lucky lady to be going to such a great home where she will be spoiled and loved and get to boss all the big kids around. Yeah for you adopting a senior can't wait to see pics of her in her new home

LibbyP
July 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Oh she's a cute little dumpling (sorry I just love them to pieces) you might be surprised at how spry and spunky she can be for a senior:crazy: she must have :angel: looking out for her,for you to have found her. I'm sure her remaining years will be filled with warmth and compassion which is needed for a old lady, will she be :queen: of the castle at your house? I cannot wait to see pics, only 4 more sleeps

BoxerRescueMTL
July 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Another beagle rescue!!! Yeah!
I've read that there are a lot of beagles in need of rescue - especially in NFLD because it is a tradition to hunt with them there - is that true?
you might be surprised at how spry and spunky she can be for a senior she must have looking out for her,for you to have found her. I'm sure her remaining years will be filled with warmth and compassion which is needed for a old lady, will she be of the castle at your house? I cannot wait to see pics, only 4 more sleeps
That's exciting! She's our first hound :) She will definitely be queen of the castle here - she's the only lady! My boys need a little estrogen, lol..

I can't wait to spoil her and get some good food in her belly!

LibbyP
July 12th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I would love to see your boys faces when she lets out her first brawl at them to get outta her face, hounds are awesome, having them as a kid and now as an adult, hound 'people' are a special bunch alittle cooky and :crazy: . You'll have fun watching when her nose is to the ground, tail wagging in an awkward helicopter kinda way and mouth open smiling when she 'found' something smelly to track. She'll love to soak up the sunshine and curl up in a little cozy bed just for her.:pawprint: Yes they use them to hunt and at the end of the day if the dog hasn't come back, oh well they'll get a new one.

BoxerRescueMTL
July 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
LOL, my boys need a good brawl in their faces! Any other hound tips you can give me? How old does she look from her pic? We have a vet appointment on Tuesday, they'll check her teeth etc but just curious in the meantime..

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Just remember when they pick up a scent there hearing turns off. I had a Bloodhound and could never be off lead if he got a scent he would just go and go.

meb999
July 12th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Well, Millie has definetly won the doggy lotery!!
Congrats on the new addition! I can't wait to hear all the details...
Vegas and Dudley are in for a BIG surprise!!!

BoxerRescueMTL
July 12th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Just remember when they pick up a scent there hearing turns off. I had a Bloodhound and could never be off lead if he got a scent he would just go and go.
No worries there - I am a big believer in never letting my dogs offlead! Too many possibilities..
Well, Millie has definetly won the doggy lotery!!
Congrats on the new addition! I can't wait to hear all the details...
Vegas and Dudley are in for a BIG surprise!!!
Marie Eve - sorry I didn't tell you when we were on the phone today - I didn't want to jinx it but I really wanted to tell you!! I just found out that all the legs of the transport have been filled so it's official :party: Woohoo!

LibbyP
July 12th, 2006, 10:03 PM
My guess would be 12 -14 but hard to tell from the pic, good on ya mastifflover about the off leash thing, for ours we went to TSC and bought a horse lunge line to drag behind her, so that if she caught scent and was off someone would be able to stop her LOL. You must be good at keeping secrets, I wouldn't have been able to keep it in HEE HEE HEE

BoxerRescueMTL
July 12th, 2006, 10:21 PM
My guess would be 12 -14
That's what were thinking too..
and bought a horse lunge line to drag behind her, so that if she caught scent and was off someone would be able to stop her LOL.
We already have two lunge lines for the boxers - perfect!
You must be good at keeping secrets, I wouldn't have been able to keep it in HEE HEE HEE
It was SOOO hard - we've been working on it for over a week!

Prin
July 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Congrats on the new boxer! :) She's the luckiest (height-challenged) boxer in the world right now.:highfive:

dtbmnec
July 13th, 2006, 12:02 AM
She looks like she's bowl you over......if you were 5 years old anyway.. :p

If her tail was longer I'd say you'd be more apt to have bruises on your knees from the tail wagging!

Megan

Toonces
July 13th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Congrats on the newest addition, she is adorable and the name really suits her.

badger
July 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I'm some jealous! Get ready for millions of kisses and butt-wags.

mastifflover
July 13th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I used to use 2 lungelines so he could play with all the other kids but not be taken away by his nose. I love the braying when I had Jake there was a Coonhound down the hall and the 2 of them would bray back and forth it was very funny Gunner would stand outside our window and call Jake too funny. Well we are anxiously awaiting pics of the lucky lady

Melinda
July 13th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I"d actually give her about 8-10 by the look of her in that pic, my old beagle started greying (white) at the snout at around 7 yrs of age, I lost her two xmas's ago at the age of 15, good luck and bless you for adopting a senior

we3beagles
July 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I would say she is about 9 by the picture. She is such a lucky puppy going to her forever home with you.

Yes they do hunt with beagles in NF, but they are not though of as pets or even dogs, but tools. If they don't hunt they are put out to die or shot. Too old, same, don't want to feed them over the winter - out they go. They are a dime a doz. in NF so adopting them locally is really hard so we accomodate out of province adoptions.

It looks like she has a bit of blown coat in the pic, but it is hard to tell. Get yourself a hound glove and don't give her a bath - ever if you can help it. My dog Bugsey has had 1 bath in his 8 years and that was just recently as my yard was a former mud pit. Everyone always comments on how soft and shiny his coat is and how nice he smells. Keep her ears really clean. With floppy ones it is really important.

I can hardly wait till you get her. Take some better pics and post em quick.:D

H.P.
July 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Sweet Millie is WAY too cute! Congarts to you and Millie!

BoxerRescueMTL
July 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone :D !
Get yourself a hound glove
What's that and can I get one anywhere? Thx!! She's so cute and tiny!! I can't wait to see her in person. She'd be cute in a little sweater..I think yellow will be her colour :love:

mesaana
July 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Apparently I missed this post!! But I had seen it on RDIC ;) Congrats on the new boxer, Crystal! Can't wait to see more pics :thumbs up

OntarioGreys
July 14th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Congratulations, pretty girl!!! I would guess around 9 or 10 by the greying on her face

meb999
July 14th, 2006, 12:35 PM
2 days to go!! You must be so excited!

we3beagles
July 14th, 2006, 02:00 PM
A hound glove is a glove with rubber nubs on the hand part. It gets all the dead fur off and massages at the same time. My beagles love it.

BoxerRescueMTL
July 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Oh! LOL I already have a "hound glove" then for the boxers! I just didn't know what it was called :o

meb999
July 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
My beagles love it.

Buster had one of those. He declared war on it, and attacked the glove every time I took it out. It only survived a month. RIP sweet hound glove.

BoxerRescueMTL
July 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Buster had one of those. He declared war on it, and attacked the glove every time I took it out. It only survived a month. RIP sweet hound glove.
Haha! That's so funny - Vegas ate his too!! It's still usable though. Must be something about those rubber nubbies..
Apparently I missed this post!! But I had seen it on RDIC Congrats on the new boxer, Crystal! Can't wait to see more pics
Lol, that's sneaky!! thanks Lyne!

we3beagles
July 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
lol. never thought of it as a dental apparatus. gently massages the gums and leaves breath rubbermaid fresh.:D

Hunter's_owner
July 14th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Yes, beagles are used as hunting dogs in Newfoundland. But not everyone who uses the dogs to hunt treat them bad. I know of many beagles who are used to hunt but are still treated as pets. I also know many beagles who do not hunt and are treated as pets. But the sad part is that there are often beagles found who haven't been treated very well, and there is a group here in Newfoundland who look for homes for beagles, and do a very good job in getting the word out about how wonderful beagles are.
I just wanted to jump in here with this comment, because I am one of the people here in Newfoundland who has a beagle that would never hunt, and she is a great pet.

meb999
July 16th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Woohoo! Today's the big day! Be sure to let us know how it went :crazy:

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Hi!!! I will :) I can't wait!! We only have to be in Ottawa for 2:00pm....I am so impatient...

LibbyP
July 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hunter's owner, HI I don't think it was ever implied that Newfoundlanders are bad people or that they just use their hounds for hunting. I'm quite sure it's like everywhere else, some(dogs) are used for work and not treated like a 'family pet' and some are. Keep up the great work through rescue as hounds are a wonderful breed:highfive: BoxerRescueMTL cannot wait to see new pics of Millie all clean and sparkly:queen:

Frenchy
July 16th, 2006, 09:29 AM
2h00 pm :eek: Just kidding,it's already 10h30 am....

glasslass
July 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Just saw this thread! Glad I don't have to wait 4 days to see the outcome! She's such a lucky little girl!

dtbmnec
July 16th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Just be careful....she might end up wagging her butt off :p lol

Yay! Piccies? pretty please?

Megan

rainbow
July 16th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Just came across this post. Congratulations on your newest addition and it was so kind of you to rescue this precious little girl.

chico2
July 16th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Aww,what a lucky little girl Millie is,could not get a better home:thumbs up
She must be home by now,pics please:p
There is a 15 yr old beagle living in my neighborhood,she's had cancer and everything you can think of,but is still a wonderful happy little dog.
The "baying"which I'd never heard of before,is really a strange sound!

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM
And she is the cutest little dog ever! The poor thing is in awful shape. Awful. I cried when I met her. She's morbidly obese (or her tummy is very swollen
:( , her nails were very curled under and growing into her pads, the teeth she has are a solid DARK GREEN like algae, she has a strange lump on her head, and I am sure she is deaf or very close to it. We are going to the vet on Tuesday to check on everything, get a blood test etc. In the meantime, she seems happy enough, appetite is great - she's crazy for liver treats and bays at Chris SO LOUD it is hilarious. My boxers were totally thrown for a loop when they heard that noise (so was I actually LOL - I knew what it was but I have never heard anything like it!!) She's been bathed, fed, walked, met the boys and explored the house (it's TRUE - she is a big nose on 4 legs!) and now she is pooped and sleeping in her little bed. We stopped at Petsmart on our way home and got her a rainbow striped collar, leash, plushy bed, shampoo and conditioner. Anyhoo, enough chat - here's some pics!!
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/21116.jpg
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/21119.jpg

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/21117.jpg
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/21118.jpg

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 06:20 PM
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/21121.jpg

Hunter's_owner
July 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM
She looks sooo happy. Congrats, and enjoy the noises that a beagle can make:D . I have a little beagle and boy can she howl.

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks Hunter's Owner!! I have some more pics that I'm uploading now :D

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/21131.jpg
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/21129.jpg

Frenchy
July 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
All afternoon I've been checking up in here ... she is finally home,yea....I am so glad you got her!She will soon realize she's in doggy heaven,what a cute face,how will you be able to say no when ask for treats by this sweet face!She looks already at home in her little bed.I saw one just like her on petfinder last winter,she was in a rescue in Vermont and I kept looking at her,Millie looks just like her,now I feel guilty I haven't adopted her.I hope the vet's appointment brings only good news.You are an :angel: Millie is sure lucky!

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM
http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/21134.jpg

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I saw one just like her on petfinder last winter,
There are so many senior Beagles in rescue eh? After I found Millie, I kept looking on Petfinder and there are too many :( Too many senior dogs..Too many dogs...

LibbyP
July 16th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Oh My Goodness she is too sweet, look at her :queen: of the castle already, I was going to change my age guess, but now I'm going to stick with what I thought. She looks so happy and content sleeping in her new cozy bed in the window, lucky, lucky girl. I would have loved to see your faces when she bayed for the first time hee hee hee:eek:

poodletalk
July 16th, 2006, 07:52 PM
She's adorable, congratulations!:)

mastifflover
July 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Well she is very cute and looks right at home Vegas is not looking thrilled. But he will grow to love the little lady. I am sure once you get some weight off her she will be even happier

dtbmnec
July 16th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Awww she's so cute! looks so tiny compared to your other dogs :)

Bah they'll be waiting on her hand and foot soon I'm sure :p

:)

Megan

meb999
July 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
awww, look at that little face! I love the pic of Veggers looking all depressed that he has to share you!
I've got my :fingerscr :fingerscr and Buster's got his paws crossed too that everything goes well at the vets. Are you going to be switching her to raw? That should clean her teeth right up :D

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys!!! I feel so bad though - it's bedtime and we are all in our room..Dudley's in bed with us, Vegas is on his dog bed on the floor for a change he must be very hot (usually we're all four of us in bed together)..I brought Millie's bed and put it beside me on the floor but she insists on being on the hardwood floor! She's sound asleep...so I guess she likes it better...but I would feel better if she was all cozy...

LibbyP
July 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Not to worry she knows where her new cozy bed is(obvious from the pics she likes it) she's just keeping herself cool, enjoy your first sleep:D

technodoll
July 16th, 2006, 09:59 PM
she is an absolute darling, and you are an angel for taking in a senior who needs a loving forever home... bless you! :angel:

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Not to worry she knows where her new cozy bed is(obvious from the pics she likes it) she's just keeping herself cool, enjoy your first sleep
LOL, thanks Libby :D And thanks technodoll!
Are you going to be switching her to raw?
After we get the results from her blood work and everything looks normal enough then yup! I want to wait though, I am pretty concerned about her tummy. It's seriously huge. Just want to know what's goin' on in there first..

poodletalk
July 16th, 2006, 10:09 PM
My friends dog that she rescued had a huge round tummy as well, it turned out Snoopy was a puppymill mother dog, she lived most of her life at the mill and used for breeding. She had liters and litters, the vet said her stomach will always be round.

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Aw that is so sad poodletalk. Maybe that's the case with Millie as well. I do know that wherever she lived before must have been F.I.L.T.H.Y. Her poor underside, feet, tail, nails are all stained brownish colour :( She had 2 baths while at the pound, and one here - it will never come off I don't think. Acutally..maybe I can try that purple shampoo for white hair...It used to work on brown stains on my white horse...

poodletalk
July 16th, 2006, 10:16 PM
It could be, when my friend adopted "snoopy" a bichon she had very bad teeth as well. Turns out most of her teeth were rotted and she only has 3 left. She was a complete mess, reminds me alot of your description of Millie.

poodletalk
July 16th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Here's the article my friend wrote about snoopy. The pictures are before and after being rescued from the mill. http://www.awarenessday.org/snoopy.htm

This is not a Fairy Tale - Reprinted with permission from Magazine Passionnément Chien. Web site is www.passionnementchien.com
In my living room there is a small creature running figure eights around and under my coffee table. She stops, takes a breath, bends down to challenge another creature 3 times her size, and resumes her race. Her tail is wagging so fast it is a blur. As she stops again and looks at me I swear she is smiling. After 15 minutes she collapses in a heap in my lap and goes to sleep. She is so tired, happy and tired. You see, this is one of the very first times in her life that she has been granted the simple privilege of running free, but she is out of shape and it will take time to build her up.

Six years ago this little 15 pound creature (a bichon we think) was born in unspeakably filthy conditions in a barn somewhere in the province of Quebec. She was most likely taken from her mother at around 5 weeks of age.

Unlike her siblings who were probably much luckier than she, our little friend was chosen to be a breeder. This means that she spent the next part of her life in a cage, being released only when she was to be forcibly impregnated. She had to relieve herself in the cage, which was cleaned at an unknown frequency, but seeing the condition she was in when she was rescued, must not have been very often. She would have had puppies twice of three times a year and would have had them taken from her at around 5 weeks, just like she was from her mother.

She never got to see the outside of the barn and she never got to run free, even in a fenced area. She simply lived in that filthy cage and bred for her owners. She simply existed and endured, knowing nothing but this life.

At the age of 6, not breeding well any longer, she was scheduled for destruction.

A kind person saved her and through a chain of other kind people, she came to my house.

When I first saw her, a sob came to my throat and tears jumped into my eyes. She had been shaved almost down to the skin to remove the filth and looked like a chubby pink sausage. Having lived in a cage all her life, she had no muscle tone, her belly was very round from constantly giving birth with no respite. She had a large sore on one side and the on front of her body, her fur had been worn down practically to the skin from constantly being in the same spot for so long. From living in filthy conditions she was full of worms, she had mites, and her teeth were so rotten, 18 of them had to be pulled.

Even though she has endured all of these things, she is the sweetest most loving and affectionate creature I have had the pleasure of knowing. Though she cringes and shakes when we reach down to pick her up, she soon begins to lick us and a moan of contentment emerges from somewhere in her throat.

In order to be adopted, her teeth had to be repaired or removed and she had to be sterilised. When I took her to the vet for her operation, she just froze in place and would not move. I could almost read her mind, “now what?”. She had known two weeks of peace, freedom, and a happiness she did not know existed, and now she was being removed from it (though unbeknownst to her temporarily). I felt as though I was betraying her trust.

Well, I told you the end and now you know the beginning.

She is just one of thousands, yes thousands of innocent creatures just like her. Most of us hear about it now and again in the news, myself included, when some miserable person is discovered keeping dogs under horrendous conditions. We think (how awful, something should be done), but we do nothing. It takes us out of our comfort zone to have to think about it, just like looking at the horrors on the front page of the newspaper, we turn away and get on with our day.

These creatures cannot complain, they cannot scream out their misery. We must do something!

The laws are abominable in the province of Quebec, the humane societies can do very little except clean up and help the poor beasts fortunate enough to make it out and put the rest of them to “sleep.”

To get into one of these “puppy mills” an SPCA officer must have an eyewitness account of actual wilful criminal cruelty or neglect, sworn and signed by the witness and taken to a judge who decides whether to grant the warrant. If a warrant is approved, SPCA investigators must go to the police and convince them to supply the manpower to execute the search.

In all other provinces including the north eastern states in the U.S. have tougher laws, all except Quebec have enacted some sort of preventive animal law. In Ontario, where an SPCA Act was passed in 1969 and toughened in 1990, things are much different. In this province, investigators have the powers of police officers, complete with the authority to arrest and lay charges.

The monsters who run these “puppy mills” in Quebec have had free reign up to now, how fortunate they are! In November 2004 the law to protect animals takes a small step forward. A government Inspector has been hired and a small sum has been allocated by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. Complaints may be made and inspections will be done, fines handed out and in the worst cases the animals removed. The job is enormous and I am certain one Inspector will never suffice. But, it is a beginning, the inspector will work with the local SPCAs. Please support this effort by contacting ANIMA QUEBEC and reporting any cruelty that you are aware of. We can make a difference in the lives of these innocents.

What kind of society do we live in (we call ourselves humane) that just let’s this happen and does nothing?

Quebec has been a haven for the kind of people who are doing this because we have had no real law to protect these creatures.

This little girl, we call her Snoopy, dances and skips at my feet and begs to be picked up, she asks for very little, just a fair chance. We have now had her with us for 9 months. She is transformed; she greets us at the door – loves to come to the park with us and run through the grass – she cannot tolerate a leash, but she follows us everywhere! She rolls on her back and plays with toys and even challenges her Golden Retriever sisters. She moans with delight when having her tummy rubbed and she has learned to relieve herself outdoors (quite a challenge). These dogs can be saved and make wonderful companions.

The Great Ghandi once said “A society may be judged on the way it treats its animals” – How will we be judged?

Please, Please, stop looking away. Use your e-mail and contact Anima Quebec. you’ll feel glad you did.

We have to change the meaning of “Treated like animals.”

Thank You.

technodoll
July 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Her poor underside, feet, tail, nails are all stained brownish colour She had 2 baths while at the pound, and one here - it will never come off I don't think.

i would imagine though that over time, as she sheds her old, bad coat and grows a new one, that the stained fur would disappear? :confused: specially if you put her on a good diet... as for the whitening shampoo, out of experience, it will whiten a yellowish or grayish coat quite successfully, but will not "unstain" a rusted coat (my boy's elbows are hopelessly stained, always :mad: ) i sometimes bleach them, like you do with human hair (i have the "dog" recipe if you like) but that's for small spots, not an underbelly...

in any case what a precious face, look at those eeeeeyes! :love:

poodletalk
July 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Here's Snoopy rescued from the mill (sorry to hijack your thread, I want to show you her round belly.)

poodletalk
July 16th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Snoopy now with lots of TLC

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Aw poodletalk!!! That is a great article!! Maybe we can make it a sticky in it's own thread? People should read it!!! Thank dawg Snoopy made it out of that awful place..

BoxerRescueMTL
July 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
i would imagine though that over time, as she sheds her old, bad coat and grows a new one, that the stained fur would disappear? specially if you put her on a good diet... as for the whitening shampoo, out of experience, it will whiten a yellowish or grayish coat quite successfully, but will not "unstain" a rusted coat (my boy's elbows are hopelessly stained, always ) i sometimes bleach them, like you do with human hair (i have the "dog" recipe if you like) but that's for small spots, not an underbelly...
That's true technodoll - Ihadn't thought of that. The stains looks more rusty in the pics, but in person they're more yellowy browny. Can you PM me the doggy friendly bleach plz? :love:

glasslass
July 16th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Just came back to check for photos before going to bed. I feel like I hit the jackpot. Thanks for the warm and fuzzies. I'm going to bed feeling so happy to know Millie is spending her first night in her forever home. You've made a real difference for this sweet little girl.:thumbs up

chico2
July 17th, 2006, 07:07 AM
What can I say,this lucky little dog has me all choked up:love:
It's stories like this,wonderful people like you,that keeps me checking in on Pets. every day!
Whatever the outcome at the vets:fingerscr Millie will have a wonderful rest of her life:love:

meb999
July 17th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Here's the article my friend wrote about snoopy. The pictures are before and after being rescued from the mill. http://www.awarenessday.org/snoopy.htm

This is not a Fairy Tale - Reprinted with permission from Magazine Passionnément Chien. Web site is www.passionnementchien.com

http://bestsmileys.com/sad/10.gif absolutely heartbreaking. I agree with Crystal, you should post it on a thread and make it a sticky....

she is an absolute darling, and you are an angel for taking in a senior who needs a loving forever home... bless you!
Agreed 100% :thumbs up

Frenchy
July 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Poodletalk,I love the before and after pictures,it doesn't look like the same dog at all! Daisy was 8 yr old (2 1/2 ago) when I adopted her,she looked like she had many many litters (was dumped at the spca because too old to keep breeding) and she could almost sweep the floor with her belly!With daily walks,I see a big difference,she is still a bit "deformed" but like any older female who used to breed. I hope you can do the same with Millie!

poodletalk
July 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Snoopy has lost alot of weight, her belly has firmed up abit but nothing like it should be. Snoopy has just come back from a week at the ocean....lucky dog!

we3beagles
July 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I never meant any offense to you Hunter's Owner or anyone else that keeps their beagles well fed and safe. Sorry if you took it that way. In no way am I implying that the whole of Newfoundland is cruel to their beagles. The majority of people and even hunters in NF are good to their animals.

I volunteer for the beagle rescue you spoke of and have seen and heard horror stories and these are the people to which I was referring. I have a newspaper article that make me cry to even think about. I will post it when I get home. It is so sad to think that even 1 beagle would be treated this way. I cannot imagine hurting something that wants to please you so much.

Do you only have the one beagle Hunter's Owner? Looking for another maybe?
Don't mind me, I'm always pushin the beagles. ;)

we3beagles
July 17th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Millie is so beautiful. She looks very content in the pictures. Just give her a bit of time. I have a foster dog right now who is so scared to do anything. It took him 3 hours on Saturday to even come in the house. Then he wouldn't come up on the couch so I put a pillow on the floor for him. He waited 1/2 and hour and really thought about it a bit before laying on it. Just give Millie a bit of time to figure things out. Don't worry she'll figure it out. It took Soozie a year to realize she was actually staying and Callie 3 months. Just give her all the love you do and she will just love you right back. Beagles are pretty resilient. I am constantly amazed that they can suffer so much and still eventually trust and love a human again. It sounds like she has had a few litters like Callie. No matter how much I exercise her she will always have baggie gut. She looks like a little sausage (another of her nicknames). Let us know what the vet says. I'm sure they'll be able to tell you how old she is.
Oh and more pics please...:D

Hunter's_owner
July 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi.
No I never took offense to what was said, I just wanted to make sure that the good was shown as well. ;) .
I just have the one beagle, Cassie, and as well I have a 5 year old Lab, Hunter. My uncle has bred beagles, Cassie was one of the pups (well she is almost 3 now), and I am going to take her brother sometime in the near future. I would fill my house if I could, but I am currently living with roomates with 2 cats, so its not really my call right now.:o .
Hopefully in a couple of years when I am settled away, my home can be a forever home to a bunch of rescued beagles. I was never a beagle lover until Cassie, and now I can't seem to get enough of their floppy ears.

we3beagles
July 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Or the baying together in unison. You would absolutely think their world was ending the way they carry on.

BoxerRescueMTL
July 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks we3beagles!
She looks like a little sausage (another of her nicknames).
LOL - we went for ice cream last night and the woman at the counter asked if she was a sausage dog :eek: Poor Millie!
Snoopy has lost alot of weight, her belly has firmed up abit but nothing like it should be. Snoopy has just come back from a week at the ocean....lucky dog!
Wow, that's awesome for Snoopy! You know, I wouldn't even care if it was just a "looks" thing, but Millie's belly seems so heavy for her to carry around :( I really hope it is a weight issue, that is something I can fix!

chico2
July 17th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Poodletalk,I just read the story of Snoopy,did not have time before,what a lucky little girl she is:thumbs up
The horror of puppy-mills and we DO have them here in Ontario,is something I cannot understand,we are supposed to be a civilized society,yet we are allowing this to go on.
I am sure there are thousands of Snoopys suffering this minute and it just makes you sick!!
What's wrong with people allowing this to happen??
I read,many of the pups are shipped to US pet-shops,what about papers,vaccinations etc...is there no control at the border??

mastifflover
July 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Rescues always seem to amaze me. Buddy was abused yet I have never heard him growl at a person yet. Every rescue I have had has become a loving life long companion. As I am sure your new little lady will too. I hope all goes well at the vets. My vet says love and good care cures lots of little things that rescues come with. Once you get her on a healthy diet and execcise I am sure you will see lots of changes in her. When I got Boo he was so emaciated when my vet saw him he was horrified and he suspected numerous problems including possible cancer. After 2 months of eating like a small horse and lots of love our vet visit resulted in a clean bill of health not a thing wrong with him. Good luck at the vets and keep us updated. She is just to cute

Frenchy
July 17th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Snoopy at the ocean,lucky dog:) .Such wonderful people adopt these rescues,sometimes I want to put myself on petfinder!:p

H.P.
July 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
She is soooooo cute! and sooooo lucky to have a loving home!

Dog Mom
July 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Congrats on the new addition:) I love her grey "beard"! lol be sure to let us know what the vet says about the swelling in her belly

LibbyP
July 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM
How did it go at the vets? You are going to have to change ' mom, to Boxers, and a beautiful Beagle'. We have our :pawprint: 's and :fingerscr 's crossed that everything went well at the vets, keep us posted

BoxerRescueMTL
July 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone - thanks for your well wishes. We just got back from Millie's vet visit. She is deaf, has ear infections in both ears, has only 20-30% sight, her teeth are in horrendous condition - the vet was shocked. And she has a grade 5 heart murmur (grade 6 being the worst). We are waiting for blood test results (to see why her belly is so bloated. the vet and I don't think it is fat), urine analysis (she is incontinent) and stool analysis.
As a treat, my little darling and I went to the local Global Pet Foods after. She really liked it there! So many smells and lots of exploring to do :) She got a lot of pets and made new friends too. We got her some Solid Gold Just A Wee Bit, yummy liver treats, doggy wipes and breath buster strips :)
I am staying strong for her but I am so sad for her and for all the doggies who have to live like she did for so long. They are :angel: I hope there is something we can do to keep her happy and healthy for a good while..

chico2
July 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Aww B-R,and Millie still manages to smile:love:
Like I said before,whatever time she has left,spending it with you,will be like heaven for this poor little girl.
Still,I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with her tummy:fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
July 18th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Aww, poor Millie. But you have to look on the bright side- she may have lived like this all her life, but she gets to retire in an elderly doggy sanctuary. So few dogs get that privilege (relatively), and Millie is one of the chosen ones. She may have everything wrong with her body, but her mind probably sees that there is joy and love in life that makes it all almost worthwhile.:love:

She's so lucky to have been chosen by you.

we3beagles
July 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Oh poor Millie! I want to cry. Thank you for making whatever time she has left special. I can't remember if this was posted on this forum, but here is a website for deaf dogs http://catatonic.freeservers.com/penny/deafdogs.html .
I hope it helps. She must have been so scared. Deaf and almost blind with no hope. I better stop before I break down at work.:sorry: :sad:

Frenchy
July 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM
OMG poor little thing :sad: But I'm so glad she's with you now :angel:

mastifflover
July 18th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Well deaf is not bad and we all lose our vision so think of it as her just getting old which she is but so are all of us. But I am sure that you will do everything to make the rest of her life happy. I still think that as you get her on good food and lots of love she will happy and maybe some of her ailments will get better. I still say love and care will do so much for her. I hope that she has nothing really serious wrong with her. Keep us posted and big hugs for both of you

badger
July 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM
whoa millie has good karma. What are the odds a kill shelter would have kept her for very long with all those 'flaws'? I hope some of them clear up enough to give her a good outcome.

Golden Girls
July 18th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I kept coming back to this thread ... can't find the words :sad: I hope there is something we can do to keep her happy and healthy for a good while..No matter what the tests results reveal - she's in heaven right where she is, resting at last :grouphug: Thank you so so much for saving her!

BoxerRescueMTL
July 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone - sorry it took so long to update! We left straight from Millie's last vet appointment to go to the cottage for 5 days. Millie's xrays brought both good and bad news. Good news is that there does not seem to be anything abnormal in her abdomen. Bad news is that her heart is quite enlarged. The vet says it is very serious. We are going to get an ultrasound this week to determine the cause and we hope to get her on medication to help the condition. On a brighter note, Millie is totally coming out of her shell! This morning she RAN!!!! Ok, it was more like hopping, she is too overweight to really run, but she could barely walk before. She seems to be more limber, a little more agile. She's definitely perkier. She likes to be pet and will come up to us for some love now. I'll get more pics and post them very soon!

meb999
July 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM
That sucks about her heart...poor little gurl. Maybe it's enlarged because she's so full of happiness and love to have found such a great home ?! :o :p

BoxerRescueMTL
July 24th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I know?! Isn't it the saddest thing? Her heart is too big :(

mastifflover
July 24th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Her heart is swollen with happiness. I hope there are some meds for this girl. I hope to see new pics soon. But even if there is nothing that can be done you are giving her all the love and care she could ever want or need. You are an :angel: Fingers and paws crossed for Millie

Golden Girls
July 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Phew, so relieved to hear her abdomen is fine and that she's coming around a wee bit. So sad about her heart :fingerscr that medication might help but in the meantime she's getting all of yours :angel: Good luck with everything BM, and more pictures of Millie please of course when you have some time, that is

BoxerRescueMTL
July 27th, 2006, 04:23 PM
We had Millie's ultrasound today! Her heart is enlarged and there is a problem with both valves. However, with daily medications she should be fine. The vet actually said that we can go back in ONE YEAR for another ultrasound! A whole year!!! WOOHOO! Our next step, after getting her uti and ear infections cleared up, is having her dental done, and probably some extractions. That will be in in a few weeks when we get some $funds$ together. But for now life is good! Oh and she lost a pound! Yay!

mastifflover
July 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah for Millie and you. That is good news and who knows with weight loss and love in a year you may have even better news. How is she adjusting to her new life and how are the other Kids adapting to Millie?

BoxerRescueMTL
July 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks Mastiflover :) The furkids are donig great with Millie! She is the perfect match for them, she ignores all their boxer rudeness, lol.

we3beagles
July 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
That is such great news!! Millie will certainly live out her years finally knowing love. I could just kiss you....but I won't....maybe just a :grouphug:

BoxerRescueMTL
July 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM
http://www.breederoo.com/users/MontyOlive/images/photos/gallery/22226.jpg
http://www.breederoo.com/users/MontyOlive/images/photos/gallery/22224.jpg
She's caught a scent!
http://www.breederoo.com/users/MontyOlive/images/photos/gallery/22223.jpg

we3beagles
July 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Oh i'm in love with Millie. She is sooooo beautiful. and I know a beautiful beagle when I see one!:crazy:

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM
:highfive: Glad to hear the news is better than you thought, a whole year :D A pound, a whole pound YA HOO for Millie you go girl, keep up the awesome job Crystal, I love the pics she is too cute for words love the collar and neckerchief:queen: how are the boys liking their new little sister? have they realized she's here to stay yet?

Frenchy
July 27th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Yîpeeeeee! So glad for you and Millie,a pound,already? hum...I think I will send you Sam for a month!:D

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 07:13 PM
What an adorable doggy! Beagle ears are so cute, but hers look even cuter than normal. :)

BoxerRescueMTL
July 27th, 2006, 10:44 PM
how are the boys liking their new little sister? have they realized she's here to stay yet?
They are great with her - actually she is great with them. She just ignores them and that's exactly what they need to get the message "Nope, I don't want to box with you, thank you." :D And she turns around, or yawns and walks away.
,a pound,already? hum...I think I will send you Sam for a month!
Ya! She must have not been getting any exercise at all before since we cannot give her too much exercise here(becasue of her heart). I just give her proper portions for her (ideal) size, she still gets treats during the day (but I make meals smaller depending on how many treats she gets). She is totally obessed with food though! I have never seen anything like it! Her whole everything revolves around food. I gess whoever had her before didn't know how to say no to her, and never took her for walks (judging by her nails grown over, she never left the house).
Beagle ears are so cute, but hers look even cuter than normal.
I have to agree ;)

chico2
July 28th, 2006, 07:10 AM
BRMTL,It really gives you that warm cuddly feeling seeing Millie in the grass,enjoying life,she is one lucky little pooch to be with you:cloud9:
Whether she lives a year or five,her life from now on will be wonderful:pawprint:

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I agree....and what a cute little girl she is. :angel:

H.P.
July 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
She is so precious! And looks so happy exploring the out doors! Glad to hear that the results vets visits, while not perfect, hold so much hope!:thumbs up

glasslass
July 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I had a poodle with congestive heart failure and a murmur. He lived to be 18yrs. He was on medication and diaretics. Not uncommon in very senior seniors. She is a real sweetie.

BoxerRescueMTL
July 28th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I had a poodle with congestive heart failure and a murmur. He lived to be 18yrs. He was on medication and diaretics. Not uncommon in very senior seniors. She is a real sweetie.
WOW! That is so encouraging. I am trying to trace her tattoo to find out her real age actually..