Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

neighbor not supposed to have dog tethered

MollysMommy
July 12th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I live in an apartment complex where everyone in my building owns a dog. Before we move in, we all sign an agreement that states that we are not allowed to tether our dogs outside. For me, this isn't even an issue since I live on the second floor. But almost all people who live on the first floor tether their dogs outside anyways. Frankly, I didn't see any problem with this since the dogs weren't bothering me.

But on Sunday, I was taking my dogs outside to relieve themselves and was walking past one of the dogs that was tethered (and unsupervised), and he charges, growling ferociously, at my dogs which scared the crap out of me. Frankly, my dogs were terrified too and started whining. If I hadn't yanked them towards me, he would have had one of them. He was on a long tether, and my dogs were on short leashes!

The part that really upsets me is that on a previous meeting when the woman was supervising her dog outside, she had told me that he wasn't friendly with other dogs and could be really aggressive.

So why the heck is this woman leaving her dog tethered outside unsupervised?? It's just an accident waiting to happen!

The question is: do I approach this woman and remind her that she isn't allowed to tether her dog and that I was worried for the safety of my own dogs OR should I alert the landlord that she is tethering her dog anonymously? I'm leaning towards the latter.

I don't want her dog to get in trouble...I just want him to be supervised or in the apartment. Her apartment is on the way to the dumpster (where I throw all the poop), but if I'm careful I can stay out of his way. But I do worry for other people's dogs who do not know that this dog is aggressive towards other dogs.

I just moved in, so I really don't want to make enemies. What do you guys think?

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I live in an apartment in Michigan also.

CALL THE OFFICE!!!!

I am so sick and tired of people letting their dogs to run loose off leash while they barely pay attention to the dog (let alone bother to pick up after their little monsters)or leave the dog tethered to bark it's fool head off at every bird or kid within a mile radius.

I spent the first 6 months here trying not to tick anyone off. Well, not anymore. I obey both the city's laws and the apartment rules and I pay my rent on time. I shouldn't have to check outside for loose dogs or tethered dogs before I take my dog outside!

BernerLver
July 12th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I am so sick and tired of people letting their dogs to run loose off leash while they barely pay attention to the dog (let alone bother to pick up after their little monsters)or leave the dog tethered to bark it's fool head off at every bird or kid within a mile radius.

Well said! Granted I don't live in an apartment but IMO, if it's in the rules and this tenant is directly disobeying said rules then I would complain.

She may get pissed but in the interest of your and other people's safety I think you need to notify the appropriate people.

jessi76
July 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I would make a complaint to the landlord or office. Safety must be a priority. I'd also take a picture if you see the dog tied out again... it's proof.

Ed U KayShawn
July 13th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I am beginning to think that there is never going to be a shortage of irresponsible and lazy minded owners. When you state your concern also indicate that there is a liability issue as far as insurance goes on his property should that dog bite or something unforeseen incident happen.(lets hope not) We all know that no one wants to pay any more for insurance. When you approach the safety and liability issue action may be taken faster. Good luck and let all the dog walkers in the area know that there is plenty of business at your building, to help get the dogs mentally and physically active. Hope this helps good luck.

worrier79
October 2nd, 2006, 05:43 PM
I live in an apartment complex where everyone in my building owns a dog. Before we move in, we all sign an agreement that states that we are not allowed to tether our dogs outside. For me, this isn't even an issue since I live on the second floor. But almost all people who live on the first floor tether their dogs outside anyways. Frankly, I didn't see any problem with this since the dogs weren't bothering me.

But on Sunday, I was taking my dogs outside to relieve themselves and was walking past one of the dogs that was tethered (and unsupervised), and he charges, growling ferociously, at my dogs which scared the crap out of me. Frankly, my dogs were terrified too and started whining. If I hadn't yanked them towards me, he would have had one of them. He was on a long tether, and my dogs were on short leashes!

The part that really upsets me is that on a previous meeting when the woman was supervising her dog outside, she had told me that he wasn't friendly with other dogs and could be really aggressive.

So why the heck is this woman leaving her dog tethered outside unsupervised?? It's just an accident waiting to happen!

The question is: do I approach this woman and remind her that she isn't allowed to tether her dog and that I was worried for the safety of my own dogs OR should I alert the landlord that she is tethering her dog anonymously? I'm leaning towards the latter.

I don't want her dog to get in trouble...I just want him to be supervised or in the apartment. Her apartment is on the way to the dumpster (where I throw all the poop), but if I'm careful I can stay out of his way. But I do worry for other people's dogs who do not know that this dog is aggressive towards other dogs.

I just moved in, so I really don't want to make enemies. What do you guys think?

just be thankful it was not an off the leash, low IQ, Doberman :)

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 01:24 AM
just be thankful it was not an off the leash, low IQ, Doberman :)

I don't think that comment was necessary and was definitely rude. :mad:

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 01:33 AM
Why a dobie? Most dobies are great dogs. I'd be glad it was a dobie. :)

technodoll
October 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
ignoring the :troll: in this thread...

yes definitely call the landlord and state the situation. Laws are set to be followed for a reason, if this tenant signed a lease that states "no tethering", why should he/she be exempt? you have a right to enjoy the peace and safety of your environment. If they don't like it, they can move.

maybe print this out and slip it under their door... you never know. some people are not ignorant out of malice, they just need to be educated. http://www.unchainyourdog.org/WaystoHelp.htm#brochures (see #21 for links to stuff you can print!)

good luck :fingerscr